Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The Locks.
Attachments
Southfork canal locks.jpg
Southfork canal locks.jpg (243.78 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:24 am Just think the cup is half full ;) It could have been worse to fix in mid-winter with freezing temps and snow and sleet flying in the storm and waves and ... :violin:
Ah, but the Autumn is the peak recreational fishing season.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:26 pm Traffic on Long Island Expressway New York, New York State

As you can tell from the cars this was a while ago. It is worse now.
It could be a modern picture if the Kennedy Expressway since drivers have been stuck in traffic for that long. Granted, it still needs a jam in the opposite direction. Rush hour here is from 12:02am to 12:00am.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V and DC cousin out doing some last minute shopping before leaving for Italy.

Meanwhile I sit on the porch listening to lawnmowers. :(

I can't decide what is worse, weekenders who mow Friday evening when they get here or weekenders who mow Sunday afternoon before they head home.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:22 pm Meanwhile I sit on the porch listening to lawnmowers. :(

I can't decide what is worse, weekenders who mow Friday evening when they get here or weekenders who mow Sunday afternoon before they head home.
You need to live here. Lawnmowers have become an unthing. Even the crabgrass is dying from lack of rain.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our neighbors to the left (3 of Mrs. V's cousins from upstate NY) have been having trouble getting homeowner's insurance.

Long Island is getting as bad as Florida in that regard.

They finally found a company that will insure that cottage but that company has insisted that the maple tree in front of the cottage come down.

The tree service comes tomorrow. Inconvenient for us because the tree is close to our driveway. It is also close to our power and cable lines. I hope they have hired a competent service.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The tree service has arrived.

Their bucket lift truck is so big they are having trouble positioning it.

Going to be a noisy afternoon.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

All the tree workers appear and sound to be Hispanic.

If Trump ever really does deportations this country will grind to a halt.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Once again I am impressed by how very hard and fast Hispanic workers work.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Also once again I am appalled by the lack of basic safety equipment such as safety glasses and hard hats.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The tree is gone. :(

I can see more of the sky from the porch.

The fumes from the trucks and the power saws are dissipating.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:52 pm The tree is gone. :(

Did they grind the stump out?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

That's usually a separate crew with different equipment. It's an art of it's own.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:46 pm
Volkonski wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:52 pm The tree is gone. :(

Did they grind the stump out?
Yes they did.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Wow. And they didn't do a locate before grinding the stump? Lucky.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:50 am Wow. And they didn't do a locate before grinding the stump? Lucky.
We've had to have 3 stumps ground after trees fell in our yard and they never did a locate. I'm not sure why they would need to either, since they don't grind down into the ground but maybe a few inches.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:07 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:50 am Wow. And they didn't do a locate before grinding the stump? Lucky.
We've had to have 3 stumps ground after trees fell in our yard and they never did a locate. I'm not sure why they would need to either, since they don't grind down into the ground but maybe a few inches.
Again - lucky.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

I think most intelligent homeowners know where their utility lines are. I have to, because my house is 130 yards from the street.

long_driveway.jpg
long_driveway.jpg (9.09 KiB) Viewed 771 times

That doesn't show the driveway, but the distance from the cul-de-sac. Trust me, there is a driveway 130 yards long, goes past three other homes, as you can see. The thin line is the Neuse River Greenway, it's a paved path that goes down to the river. I walk on the Greenway the vast majority of my days on the planet at this time.
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

That cottage only has 1 underground utility line, the water line which runs along the east side. The tree was on the west side. The electric, cable and phone lines are overhead. That cottage doesn't have gas service. No sewer. No irrigation system. No oil tank. No propane tank. The cesspool line is behind the cottage.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:04 am
Again - lucky.
That still doesn't explain why they would need to do a locate when they aren't even going into the ground.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump is having a rally tomorrow on Long Island in Nassau County. Major traffic disruptions expected.

Happily Mrs. V and her cousin leave for Italy today.

Rally is at Nassau Coliseum. Parking lot opens at 7am. Doors open at 3 pm. Rally begins at 7 pm.

Coliseum holds up to 15,000. Supposedly 60,000 people have signed up to attend. Rain expected.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:36 am

Again - lucky.
That still doesn't explain why they would need to do a locate when they aren't even going into the ground.
If they didn't go into the ground, then does that qualify as a stump grind, or a stump polish? :wink:

So, a tip over is different than a removal. When trees fall, they tend to reveal their root ball. That also tells some of the story of what is going on under the dirt. A lot of the work has been done for you, and if none of the buried services were damaged by the trees heaving, then you're probably okay to continue chopping away blindly in the ground. It's just a matter of removing the main stem, cutting the remaining roots, pulling the root ball out, and trimming back some of the laterals that were revealed by the calamity.

OTOH removing a tree leaves a working root system in the ground that may, or may not, regrow. Depends on the species. And just because a tree grew there doesn't mean it's roots did not intercept and entangle buried utilities. The grinders I'm familiar with are portable mining equipment that can eat brick, rock, concrete, sewer pipes, plumbing, etc. And they don't stop at the surface of the dirt, or just an inch down. If the goal is to make the tree gone, they go down a couple feet in a four foot radius from the stem center. Eyeballs, experience, and smarts will tell you a lot, but unless you know that property, you have no idea what is where below the surface. If you're lucky, they only chewed up the cable TV.

But, this is why they invented liability insurance. Phrased differently - Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.

I for one am very grateful for the money I made through the years after the fact stabbing in temporary service when tree fall took out something important, and returning later with a permanent solution.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: how many utility lines are layed and buried under old trees :confuzzled:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Q: How many trees are planted over buried utilities?
A: OMG!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:28 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:36 am

Again - lucky.
If they didn't go into the ground, then does that qualify as a stump grind, or a stump polish? :wink:

So, a tip over is different than a removal. When trees fall, they tend to reveal their root ball. That also tells some of the story of what is going on under the dirt. A lot of the work has been done for you, and if none of the buried services were damaged by the trees heaving, then you're probably okay to continue chopping away blindly in the ground. It's just a matter of removing the main stem, cutting the remaining roots, pulling the root ball out, and trimming back some of the laterals that were revealed by the calamity.

OTOH removing a tree leaves a working root system in the ground that may, or may not, regrow. Depends on the species. And just because a tree grew there doesn't mean it's roots did not intercept and entangle buried utilities. The grinders I'm familiar with are portable mining equipment that can eat brick, rock, concrete, sewer pipes, plumbing, etc. And they don't stop at the surface of the dirt, or just an inch down. If the goal is to make the tree gone, they go down a couple feet in a four foot radius from the stem center. Eyeballs, experience, and smarts will tell you a lot, but unless you know that property, you have no idea what is where below the surface. If you're lucky, they only chewed up the cable TV.

But, this is why they invented liability insurance. Phrased differently - Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.

I for one am very grateful for the money I made through the years after the fact stabbing in temporary service when tree fall took out something important, and returning later with a permanent solution.
Aha, you're talking about stump removal apparently. Stump grinding doesn't do anything with the roots except make them die eventually because you ground up the trunk.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”