SCOTUS

New Turtle

Re: SCOTUS

Post by New Turtle »

CNN cut away from Cruz's portion, for the most part.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I can only watch for a few minutes. Then I take breaks to :brickwallsmall: and eat chocolate (not Nestle).
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

New Turtle wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:54 pm CNN cut away from Cruz's portion, for the most part.
God bless them, Hawley is pretty trash too also.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I heard part of Hawley's harangue. I hope his cleaning crew is wearing gloves when they clean up the mess of tissues he's left scattered around his desk. :sick:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

anyone have vidoe of lady g running his hissy fit?
raison de arizona

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:00 pm anyone have vidoe of lady g running his hissy fit?
This is a good one:

"Rate your faith on a scale of one to ten." Bonus butthurt over Barrett.
► Show Spoiler
I don't even know what this is:
► Show Spoiler
Now it's Tom Cotton's turn to act like an a-hole.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

Props to any of you with the stomach to watch this stuff. I've been dipping in and out, much on the radio. The GQP Senators beclowning themselves is so ridiculous and transparent.

No idea if this is true, but on Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night he said there were no hearings on Supreme Court nominees until Louis Brandeis was nominated. Wonder why?

It's just disgusting. /fini
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I can't watch either. :talktothehand:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Going in and out, too, and didn't see Graham.

:explode:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:26 pm Going in and out, too, and didn't see Graham.

I'm just checking in, watching briefly. Scream at tv. Lots of racist questions and complaints.

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I watched some of the questioning. I love Cory Booker and how he treated her.

The highlights if you don't watch the video: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/2 ... g-00019507
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

What century are we in?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:28 pm
Asked of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson:
Blackburn: Is it your personal hidden agenda to incorporate CRT into our legal system?
What a stupid question. First, it's extremely insulting, but then there's the issue of asking someone what their "HIDDEN" agenda is. Do you really think a smart candidate is going to say "Ooops, ya caught me. Yep, I have a hidden agenda!" FFS! She could have just asked "Do you believe CRT should be incorporated into our legal system?" but the she wouldn't get points for owning a lib, and getting to spread a nasty accusation, would she?

I really, really hate Republicans.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It wouldn't make it as good a soundbite for faux noise, etc.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, if you just view the questions as elbowing one another and auditioning for tonight's 20 second highlight spot on FOX News, the questions are perfectly logical.
Hic sunt dracones
filly

Post by filly »

I would dislike being a Supreme Court Justice. I would hate being a Justice on *this* Court. Here you have a beyond exemplary nominee and they put her through all of this bullshit because she’s a black woman and for purposes of political theater.

I guess there will be good people who still aspire to this but how many good people won’t?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

filly wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:51 pm I would dislike being a Supreme Court Justice. I would hate being a Justice on *this* Court. Here you have a beyond exemplary nominee and they put her through all of this bullshit because she’s a black woman and for purposes of political theater.

I guess there will be good people who still aspire to this but how many good people won’t?
Thankfully there will always be a slew of excellent candidates available. Moreover, just because the court is royally screwed up when you are nominated does not mean that the balance won't change during your tenure to one that better reflects your opinions. Hopefully Judge Jackson will be a Supreme Court Justice for decades.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:22 am What century are we in?
Reporter: Youu would be okay with the Supreme Court leaving the issue of segregation in public schools to the states?

SEN. MIKE BRAUN (R-IN): "Yes. If you are not wanting the Supreme Court to weigh in on issues like that, you are not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too."
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I know she dare not talk back to any of the slugs who have insulted her, but I’d love to hear someone say, on her behalf

“Senator Qruz, all these Questions about my views on pedophilia…is it your hidden agenda to brand all Democrats with a scarlet P, as red meat to your base base?”
filly

Post by filly »

filly

Post by filly »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:03 pm
filly wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:51 pm I would dislike being a Supreme Court Justice. I would hate being a Justice on *this* Court. Here you have a beyond exemplary nominee and they put her through all of this bullshit because she’s a black woman and for purposes of political theater.

Thankfully there will always be a slew of excellent candidates available. Moreover, just because the court is royally screwed up when you are nominated does not mean that the balance won't change during your tenure to one that better reflects your opinions. Hopefully Judge Jackson will be a Supreme Court Justice for decades.
Decades will not be enough to see this Court change because voting rights are being gutted and gerrymandering continues. See what the Court pulled just today on the shadow docket re: Wisconsin. As long as the GQP controls those levers of power there will be more Alitos Kavenaughs, Gorsuchs etc.
raison de arizona

JFC just cut his mike.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Cruz says he is Hispanic but would it be OK if he identified himself as Asian.

Actually yes. He can convert to Buddhism, eat Asian cuisine, learn Asian languages, read Asian literature, attend Asian cultural events. He can be as Asian as he likes.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona

:rotflmao:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”