Weather Alerts

Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Weather Alerts

Post by Slarti the White »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:16 pm I talked some consultants into coming for a site tour tomorrow rather than Thursday. After tomorrow, I'm home until the 3rd. We're in the 8-12" range (though 4-8" and 12-18" are almost as likely) Thursday morning through Saturday.
It keeps fluctuating, but my forecast is saying 14-23" right now (and 11-18" for you). I'm expecting days without power, just to make it more fun...
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I'm hoping we don't lose power, because that's my paycheck... (j/k, but I could conceivably get called in to assist if we have an extended outage)
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:53 pm

It will be icy tomorrow, but Wednesday is my work remote day, so I'll avoid that for one more day :thumbsup:
Watch out for Thursday night and Friday morning. I think those two days are going to see a lot of spinouts on the ice.

Freezing rain is really not fun.
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

Not an alert but came up in my YouTubes today. From earlier this year.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:56 am
Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:53 pm

It will be icy tomorrow, but Wednesday is my work remote day, so I'll avoid that for one more day :thumbsup:
Watch out for Thursday night and Friday morning. I think those two days are going to see a lot of spinouts on the ice.

Freezing rain is really not fun.
I hear you. I have plenty of personal time to take, might take that option if I run out of work I can do at home. I do not like driving in ice.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News :verified:
@nbcnews@news.twtr.plus
Kentucky Gov. Beshear declares a state of emergency, warning residents to "stay inside and hunker down," adding that a major concern is the possibility of a flash freeze. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

I can't imagine why Trump isn't having a rally this weekend. :think:

He could prove how popular he really is.

He could show how tough he is.

He has to start campaigning soon! The Iowa caucuses are (presumably) February 5, 2024! That isn't even 14 months away! He has to start beating on Ron DeSantis NOW TODAY IMMEDIATELY THIS MINUTE.

What? Huh? What did he say?

Blizzard conditions, nobody can travel?

What a wimp. Manly men know how to travel in wintertime. :oldman:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

“Because apparently the human suffering of the correspondent in the elements isn't enough, I’m going to show you what happens when I toss this cup of boiling water in the air..”
She's been doing segments all day. What a good sport.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

Southern California, rebel that she is, holds to tradition this year with a predicted 80° Christmas Day. Not sure how I feel about that.
humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:22 pm Southern California, rebel that she is, holds to tradition this year with a predicted 80° Christmas Day. Not sure how I feel about that.

. . . but it's a dry heat. ;)

What I recall from my youth in the 60s-80s, about the only time Christmas was warmish was when the dread Santa Ana winds were blowing. Highs might have been in the low 70s in late December or early January. But under regular conditions, my dim memory remembers temps in the higher 50s or low 60s if there were no cloud cover.

But I can believe 80 nowadays.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Supposed to be 70 on Christmas in Phoenix. Of course we’ll be in NY where 20 is forecast for the high freezing our butts off.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Here in Indy the temp has dropped 14 degrees in the last 2 hours and by 7:00 am it's supposed to be -7 with a -31 degree wind chill. How I miss those gloomy, wet PNW winters.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:47 pm Here in Indy the temp has dropped 14 degrees in the last 2 hours and by 7:00 am it's supposed to be -7 with a -31 degree wind chill. How I miss those gloomy, wet PNW winters.
I don't think we're going negative here, but it was a brisk 16 degrees F this morning when I went to feed the horses, and I have no idea what the wind chill factor made it. They are getting warm mash every five hours because I can't keep the stock tanks from freezing over.

But we have something much worse on the way--freezing rain. Tonight it starts, but the worst of it will be tomorrow morning, Friday. Then it warms up and turns to just rain next week.

You might be better off where you are!
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:58 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:47 pm Here in Indy the temp has dropped 14 degrees in the last 2 hours and by 7:00 am it's supposed to be -7 with a -31 degree wind chill. How I miss those gloomy, wet PNW winters.
I don't think we're going negative here, but it was a brisk 16 degrees F this morning when I went to feed the horses, and I have no idea what the wind chill factor made it. They are getting warm mash every five hours because I can't keep the stock tanks from freezing over.

But we have something much worse on the way--freezing rain. Tonight it starts, but the worst of it will be tomorrow morning, Friday. Then it warms up and turns to just rain next week.

You might be better off where you are!
Yeah, I hadn't heard about this until the boss decided to close our Renton and Tacoma branches today - unheard of, especially from Mr. never ever close ever.

I wish I'd dared make a Trader Joe's run on Tuesday, but the snow hit fast and no way I was going uphill to the higher altitudes to get a few things I could wait for. I got enough to get by a couple more days.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

It's 17F and windy with light snow here. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

I hear it's getting cold. Has anyone checked to see if Ted Cruz went to Cancun???
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Azastan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:58 pm You might be better off where you are!

Not possible, but I might not be talking about the weather now. :biggrin:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Storm hit about an hour ago. Went to look to see if it had started yet, found a package on the porch (present from my mom to Dr. Vicklund - very obvious what is in it, so good thing I was the one to find it). I'm off for the next 11 days, with groceries delivered this morning. We're set for the next few days.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

It's been light rain here all day, with the freezing and winds supposed to hit between 4-7 AM tomorrow. Nasty day and Friday night. Pittsburgh Public Schools were supposed to be in session tomorrow, but they have now cancelled. My granddaughter is a walker, so I'm really glad.

Hubby went to Costco this afternoon. Great gas price ($2.30), but the place was packed. He got everything we needed, though. Just going to hunker down for the next two days. The roads should be drivable by Christmas. The issue will be our driveway, getting out of here. :shh:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Already an inch of accumulation on the pavement.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

⚠️TREACHEROUS ICE STORM FRIDAY AM ⚠️

Freezing rain is likely to impact the metro area, especially south of I-90, tomorrow morning—mainly between 2 to 11 am.

Roads could turn into sheets of ice quickly. Be extra careful!
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Weather Alerts

Post by Slarti the White »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:03 pm Already an inch of accumulation on the pavement.
Yeah, the friend who's living in my house in East Lansing called to talk to me while she drove home (from Cavanaugh and Cedar to near Lake Lansing and Coolidge) and it sounded pretty bad. So far it's been a nothingburger up here (less than an inch), which I am fine with. It looks like the really heavy stuff is passing to the east of you (Williamston got pounded). We'll see if that holds up...
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Kendra wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:05 pm

Freezing rain is likely to impact the metro area, especially south of I-90, tomorrow morning—mainly between 2 to 11 am.

Okay, maybe I’ll stay in Indy for a few days. You know what’s worse than 30 below wind chills? Icy roads, very few salt trucks, hills, and people who rarely drive on slick roads.

We got an unusual amount of snow our first Christmas in the Seattle area and I was highly amused watching my neighbor trying to get his 4WD Expedition out of the neighborhood. I took my little FWD Passat out every day and never had any trouble.
John Adams
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:21 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:05 pm https:/ /twitter.com/KSeattleWeather/status/1606093230873141248

Okay, maybe I’ll stay in Indy for a few days. You know what’s worse than 30 below wind chills? Icy roads, very few salt trucks, hills, and people who rarely drive on slick roads.

We got an unusual amount of snow our first Christmas in the Seattle area and I was highly amused watching my neighbor trying to get his 4WD Expedition out of the neighborhood. I took my little FWD Passat out every day and never had any trouble.
Search Youtube for Seattle Snow fail, and have a good time. So many folks in Seattle have no clue how to drive in snow, I always LOL at the big tough guys in the pickups with empty beds trying to drive fast and manly man. I've driven front wheel drive vehicles around here for years, and as long as I don't anything stupid, I've been fine.

That said, ice storms are a different beast, not just for road conditions, but if it hits the trees and sticks, it's D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S. The weight will bring the branches/trees down like crazy - ask Azastan, who living closer to Hwy 18 can comment better than I.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Yeah, I’m fine driving on snow most of the time but I’d rather stay home when it turns to ice.
John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”