Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oldies radio reports that the local North Fork American Legion post is closing after over 100 years.

Sustained for decades by WW I, WW II and Korean War veterans the post, like so many others, had trouble recruiting Vietnam War and later veterans.

There seems to have been a general decline in the popularity of mens social clubs like the Elks, the Knights of Columbus, the Lions and others since WW II.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:13 am Oldies radio reports that the local North Fork American Legion post is closing after over 100 years.

Sustained for decades by WW I, WW II and Korean War veterans the post, like so many others, had trouble recruiting Vietnam War and later veterans.

There seems to have been a general decline in the popularity of mens social clubs like the Elks, the Knights of Columbus, the Lions and others since WW II.
I've got many "mens social clubs" in a 5 mile radius. ;)

But it is a bit sad. My grandpa used to take me with to the American Legion when I was wee neon.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”