Weather Alerts

sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

They got several, including one that tracked through Arabi on almost the same path as the one about 9 months ago. We had several touch down around here too that took out a couple of trailer parks and some chicken houses. NOPD is begging people to stop sightseeing around the destroyed areas. The WGNO stationary weather cam caught one of the tornadoes actually forming and touching down.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

We’re having an ice storm here at Maybelot. This picture doesn’t capture the beauty.
B4A87E4B-29B5-4004-8FBF-F1B5276AEFE9.jpeg
B4A87E4B-29B5-4004-8FBF-F1B5276AEFE9.jpeg (173.51 KiB) Viewed 640 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Patagoniagirl

Weather Alerts

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:03 am We’re having an ice storm here at Maybelot. This picture doesn’t capture the beauty.

B4A87E4B-29B5-4004-8FBF-F1B5276AEFE9.jpeg
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

When I saw that a tornado touched down in NO, I immediately thiught, " I hope Sugar is okay."😻
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Umm ... Sugar M. lives 185 miles from N'awlins ...

... and sometimes I worry if the tornadoes are safe from her. :lol:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bag: I think there was severe weather there too, also.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We've gotten about 4" of snow from this storm since last night. My sister-in-law, who lives an hour south of me, just texted a video she took of a school bus trying to drive up the street they live on. They're in town, and it's a fairly steep slope. Anyway, the bus ends up sliding all the way back down this hill.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

In this area, we got mostly rain, about a half inch + so far. We are one of the places in the country where we aren't in any kind of drought, so nice, but not necessary. In winter, I'm always happy when it's rain, not snow.

I can envision, Maybenaut, just how beautiful that ice storm is. I also can envision how dangerous it is. We don't get those here very often, but I have a definite love-hate relationship with them.

Edited to add: North and east of us, they are dealing with freezing rain and some snow, though. Watching the local news now, definitely some ice storms in the mountains and just one county north of us.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

Butterfly is much closer to the one in NOLA than I am. The closest one to me hit about 10 miles away.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Today in Rawly we are working on dreary.

Rainy and 45°, nothing exciting like tornadoes or earthquakes or anything.

Just rain, and chilly, and cloudy, and ... well, dreary. I don't know how it could get any more dreary, but it's trying.

That's okay, I got rain gear. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:05 pm Today in Rawly we are working on dreary.

Rainy and 45°, nothing exciting like tornadoes or earthquakes or anything.

Just rain, and chilly, and cloudy, and ... well, dreary. I don't know how it could get any more dreary, but it's trying.

That's okay, I got rain gear. :thumbsup:
Why ain’t you bizzy? (Seriously, is phone working?)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
See post in Poor ol' rooster thread. We're bizzy, but not crazy insane bizzy, and it's a result of hard work on previous days leading up to today. Almost 100% of our people - both over and under 65 - are enrolled. We only had one guy who was over 65 and missed the deadline (it was December 7) and we have maybe 5 people under 65 who we haven't heard from, and some of them have moved away, left this mortal coil, or otherwise are not our clients going forward.

And if you miss today, we can still get you enrolled for February coverage.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters :verified:
@reuters@news.twtr.plus
Blizzard, cold temperatures threaten to disrupt U.S. travel before Christmas http://reut.rs/3Wgs4A7
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

If we're lucky, we shouldn't have too much snow and the roads should be good by Christmas Day. Fingers crossed.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Weather Alerts

Post by Slarti the White »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:05 am If we're lucky, we shouldn't have too much snow and the roads should be good by Christmas Day. Fingers crossed.
We're currently forecast to get 16-27". I don't think we're driving anywhere...
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Ugh.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We're supposed to get 4"-8" of snow on Wednesday with a high of 6°. I'll clear the snow Thursday but the high that day will be 0°. The wind picks up Thursday and will be gusting over 40mph on Friday and Saturday which will blow all that new snow around and make for dangerous wind chills. Not good travel days.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Snowstorm halts flights at Canada's second busiest airport in Vancouver

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 022-12-20/
Heavy snowfall and low visibility from a strong winter storm blanketing Pacific Canada forced the country's second busiest airport in Vancouver to halt all flights on Tuesday morning, with disruptions expected to continue ahead of the Christmas weekend.

The Vancouver International Airport said the storm has had "an unprecedented impact on flights" and caused mass cancellations overnight.

"Travel continues to be significantly impacted this morning and we anticipate cancellations and delays to continue through the day and the week ahead," the airport said in a statement.

A low pressure system from the Pacific Ocean combined with very cold Arctic air over British Columbia dragged temperatures down and brought up to 25 cm of snow to parts of the western province overnight, a meteorologist with Environment Canada said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News :verified:
@abc@news.twtr.plus
As a major winter storm moves across the U.S. this week, it could undergo bombogenesis, or "bomb out," in the Midwest and the Plains.

Here's what to know about this kind of monster storm. https://abcn.ws/3WwLG2B
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Snow in the northwest. I was really coming down around 11 AM and I bailed and took my work home with me. Made a stop in Tukwila (lowlands) and just ten minutes inside the store and the parking lot was covered and the wind was pushing the flakes into my poor freezing body. Once I got south and further to home it was all rain, but now it's snowing again.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

I think a lot of us are going to be very familiar with this storm this week. Here, we know it's going to be cold, start with rain, go into snow, then freezing and icy. They don't know yet how much snow we are going to get, but know it will be more in the mountains. Par for the course.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:23 pm Snow in the northwest. I was really coming down around 11 AM and I bailed and took my work home with me. Made a stop in Tukwila (lowlands) and just ten minutes inside the store and the parking lot was covered and the wind was pushing the flakes into my poor freezing body. Once I got south and further to home it was all rain, but now it's snowing again.
My farrier, who grew up in Idaho, cancelled on me today. He was having trouble on SR 18, having left Auburn to head my way.

I have snow here, but it was raining earlier, which means ICE tomorrow morning. It is currently lightly snowing.

I am shocked that you had trouble in Tukwila, that's usually low enough that you don't have to worry so much about snow. I used to live on the Kent East Hill--THAT was awful when we had snow.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:43 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:23 pm Snow in the northwest. I was really coming down around 11 AM and I bailed and took my work home with me. Made a stop in Tukwila (lowlands) and just ten minutes inside the store and the parking lot was covered and the wind was pushing the flakes into my poor freezing body. Once I got south and further to home it was all rain, but now it's snowing again.
My farrier, who grew up in Idaho, cancelled on me today. He was having trouble on SR 18, having left Auburn to head my way.

I have snow here, but it was raining earlier, which means ICE tomorrow morning. It is currently lightly snowing.

I am shocked that you had trouble in Tukwila, that's usually low enough that you don't have to worry so much about snow. I used to live on the Kent East Hill--THAT was awful when we had snow.
Yeah,, even roads like Interurban were snow/slush covered. Not a problem getting around, but really surprising it changed so fast, we're over south Renton and it was all rain until late morning.

It will be icy tomorrow, but Wednesday is my work remote day, so I'll avoid that for one ore day :thumbsup:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I talked some consultants into coming for a site tour tomorrow rather than Thursday. After tomorrow, I'm home until the 3rd. We're in the 8-12" range (though 4-8" and 12-18" are almost as likely) Thursday morning through Saturday.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

Lordy, this sound big! Stay safe!

Return to “General Stuff”