Ben-Prime

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

chancery wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:35 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:17 pm So, after 34 total hours of airport layovers and flight time, I am back in D.C. for a few weeks of meetings and trainings. Safe and sound. I was, as some of you guessed, in Myanmar (or Burma, if you prefer) for my previous assignment. I'll leave any further comment there except to say I found the individual people kind, the food amazing, and the dollar went far enough that I bought some nice teak furniture for my next apartment.
A belated response:

Myanmar had been my guess as well. In fact I was tempted to tease you with a question which I will now ask: I assume that you are quite familiar with the Jame Retief stories by Keith Laumer? :twisted:
Indeed. As well as Orwell's semi-autobiographical Burmese Days. Alas, my time there was entirely in Yangon, and some of that in a wheelchair due to an injury, so I did not get to see much past the diplomatic 'zone'. I was supposed to do a quick trip up to Mandalay at one point, but it fell through due to the temporarily cracked hip.

That said, I would go back to *either* there or my first post, Bangladesh, once I have a few more years under my belt.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “Introduce Yourself”