Facebook

realist

Facebook

Post by realist »

qbawl wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:30 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:29 am
realist wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:26 am That is just so weird. I am having no problem with any of those sites. Perhap it's a regional thing of some sort? No idea really, but it/they is and has been working fine for me.
According to comments and news reports, it's worldwide.
Realist in a time warp‽
Yeah, Sugar, I just got a notice that it is.

Also, must be in a warp of some kind because mine has been and is still working fine. :shrug:
Image X 4
Image X 32
AndyinPA
Verified:

Facebook

Post by AndyinPA »

Mt Facebook is there. I don't know if it was down earlier.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Facebook

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Facebook was down for me earlier. It's now back up for me.
Estiveo
Verified:

Facebook

Post by Estiveo »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:58 am Facebook was down for me earlier. It's now back up for me.
Me too, also.
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Facebook

Post by AndyinPA »

According to local news, worldwide.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Facebook

Post by Slim Cognito »

It’s an evil plot by Dark Brandon carried out by the Deep State to screw up trump’s wins today on super Tuesday. Don’t ask me how I know that, I’d have to kill you.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
jemcanada2

Facebook

Post by jemcanada2 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:29 am
realist wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:26 am That is just so weird. I am having no problem with any of those sites. Perhap it's a regional thing of some sort? No idea really, but it/they is and has been working fine for me.
According to comments and news reports, it's worldwide.
Yep! Down here too.
Rolodex

Facebook

Post by Rolodex »

I had trouble, too. It flipped out right when I clicked a link to an external site a friend had posted and I was terrified that I'd gone to somewhere malware-y. I worked on it a while and then had to go do something. When I got back it was working fine. I didn't think to look at twitter! LOL

I did change my password; probably time for that anyway.

When I was trying to fix it, I requested the OTP by SMS...but it never came. I had to request via email, and it sent me the same code every time I requested it. then I got an error message when trying change my pw. That's when I had to attend to something else and when I got back everything was ok. :shrug:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Facebook

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was down, then I was up and made a post. But when I went to edit said post, it won't allow that. Hmmmmmmm....
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

Meta’s Oversight Board Adopts International “Norms” Instead of US Free Speech Principles

Didi Rankovic
May 14, 2024

In a world where international law (a set of ratified documents) is being rapidly replaced with narratives about a “rules-based system,” it is no wonder that US tech giants like Meta choose to set their free speech “baseline” not on their country’s Constitution, but on “international human rights norms.”

The less clarity there is, the more space for abuse and biased interpretation, critics might say. But Meta Oversight Board member Kenji Yoshino is satisfied that this is the right approach, and even spelled it out.

“Our baseline here is not the US Constitution and free speech, but rather international human rights norms,” Yoshino recently told the National Constitution Center, a private nonprofit.

Such bold statements require bold justification, and so this Oversight Board member noted that in terms of free speech “values” the US is “an outlier,” while Meta’s global reach means it must adjust its policies accordingly.

There are plenty of openly authoritarian regimes out there, with their own “free speech values,” but when Yoshino – from the William J. Brennan Center for Justice – spoke about “striking a balance” between US law and international “norms” – he chose to mention the palatable to his audience example of Europe.

What’s striking in this context, however, is that in many, if not all European countries, “hate speech” is criminalized, unlike in the US. It isn’t clear from Yoshino’s statements how a balance between such different approaches to speech can even be achieved in a social platform’s guidelines, particularly around elections.

But, that is the explanation for why the giant chooses not to make the First Amendment its “baseline.”

https://reclaimthenet.org/metas-oversig ... principles
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Facebook

Post by raison de arizona »

Good.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”