Random women who deserve to be noticed

johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:48 am Not a particular lady, but quite a few of them ...
In a milestone breakthrough, more than half of Caltech’s incoming undergraduate class in the fall will be women for the first time in its 133-year history. The class of 113 women and 109 men comes 50 years after Caltech graduated its first class of undergraduate women, who were admitted in 1970. Source: LA Times
I was just gonna say that my dad, Caltech class of '54, had zero women in his class.

I have read several times that if colleges were completely gender-blind on admissions, most selective universities would have classes of 70%-plus females because male achievements are dropping in all areas, but colleges know they can't attract desirable female candidates if they don't have a roughly 50-50 mix of males to females.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the Republicans to notice that if they eliminate all forms of affirmative action, that it will backfire in the worst possible way for the patriarchy: the males they're trying so desperately to protect will actually end up worse off.

Incidentally, if you consider "affirmative action" to include legacies (kids of alumni), a key mechanism for perpetuating the power of incompetent white males, then it will imperil the Ivy League admission status of sons of privilege. I had read that at one point, 40% of Harvard students were legacies and only 60% were admitted on ability.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

1970?

My alma mater graduated its first woman in 1873 and began admitting women on an equal basis with men in all areas of study in 1882.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Longstanding rivalry between CIT & MIT.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

My dad went to Vanderbilt (class of '53); he was a mechanical engineer and he said there was one woman in his class. She was not able to participate in their "field trips" because "it wouldn't look good." He said she was whip smart but ended up working in her father's hardware business.

I had no idea the Caltech enrollment was so small!

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”