What are you watching?

John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

More snark, this time making fun of 1914-1945+ militaries.

https://www.youtube.com/@SquireComedy/videos
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:55 pm

Moving on. Now into watching season 1 of Columbo on Tubi.tv. Some of those early episodes don't make to network TV replay because the runtime is too long. (back in the day, it wasn't 30+% commercials. ) I'm reliving actors we all know as younger versions of themselves playing as special guests in the stories.
:popcorn:
Those early 90 minute episodes were great, especially the tacky 70s decor. Love It!

ALSO, there's a second season of Good Omens. I've only seen the first episode. Hope it's at least almost as good.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

Binge-watched "Good Omens 2" yesterday while everyone else went to the NOFO Gem and Minerals Show.

If you liked GO I am pretty sure you will like GO2.

Part of the fun is spotting all the prominent actors in small (but significant) roles and all the associated Easter eggs.

Part of the reason I watched it all at once was that the Internet is filling with discussions about GO2 and especially the ending. If you wish to avoid spoilers take care out there.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Grumpy Git
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Grumpy Git »

In the UK we've just had an excellent four part BBC drama, The Sixth Commandment, starring two of our most popular actors, Timothy Spall and Anne Reid.

It's based on harrowing real crimes committed between 2014 and 2017, in the small English village of Maids Moreton in Buckinghamshire.

If you want to avoid spoilers best to skip digging into BBC/Sky News coverage of the real events and subsequent police investigation. If you use a VPN it's on the BBC Iplayer or keep an eye on which channels in your country show BBC productions. :thumbsup:
sixth.jpg
sixth.jpg (59.19 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

In his younger years, I found Timothy Spall quite annoying.

He has matured into quite the accomplished actor in many different roles.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Grumpy Git
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Grumpy Git »

Some of us get better with age! :lol:

He was wonderful in Mike Leigh's Mr Turner (2014)
mr-turner-014.webp
mr-turner-014.webp (22.88 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Yeah, I think that was the first time I actually liked him.

I'm not sure he did Turner any favors though.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:54 am Binge-watched "Good Omens 2" yesterday while everyone else went to the NOFO Gem and Minerals Show.

If you liked GO I am pretty sure you will like GO2.

Part of the fun is spotting all the prominent actors in small (but significant) roles and all the associated Easter eggs.

Part of the reason I watched it all at once was that the Internet is filling with discussions about GO2 and especially the ending. If you wish to avoid spoilers take care out there.
Just to clarify something. There is no "Good Omens 2". Volkonski briefly confused me with making it sound like a film. It is Good Omens season 2 (after a several years delay). Then it all made sense. :mrgreen:

First season was great. Looking forward to the 6 episodes of season 2!
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

The title of GO2 as shown on the show's opening title for each episode is "Good Omens 2".
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

LOL. I'm watching an episode of Matlock and after he loses a case, he's arguing "prosecutorial misconduct". Wonder if tfg knows he didn't coin the phrase ;)
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:52 pm LOL. I'm watching an episode of Matlock and after he loses a case, he's arguing "prosecutorial misconduct". Wonder if tfg knows he didn't coin the phrase ;)
That's probably where he heard it in the first place
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:09 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:52 pm LOL. I'm watching an episode of Matlock and after he loses a case, he's arguing "prosecutorial misconduct". Wonder if tfg knows he didn't coin the phrase ;)
Pretty sure he watches no TV drama shows unless he has a cameo on it. Likely could not place the show Matlock if asked. One of the unnamed co-defendant attorneys introduced him to the "prosecutorial misconduct" phrase.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Grumpy Git »

Having thoroughly enjoyed Christopher Nolan' cinematic take, I am now going to watch BBC's Oppenheimer, a seven part mini-series from 1980, starring Sam Waterston, which has resurfaced on the BBC Iplayer.

For non Brits you'll find it on YouTube too.

More on the mini-series from Variety

Distributed by BBC Studios, the TV show starred Waterston as the contemplative father of the atom bomb, J. Robert Oppenheimer, and “Poirot” star David Suchet as the Los Alamos scientist Edward Teller. The cast was mainly comprised of American actors, who were all based in the U.K. at the time, save for Waterston.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/oppe ... 235684455/
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:55 pm
keith wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:09 pm
Pretty sure he watches no TV drama shows unless he has a cameo on it. Likely could not place the show Matlock if asked. One of the unnamed co-defendant attorneys introduced him to the "prosecutorial misconduct" phrase.
Back when Matlock was on there wasn't anything else on TV. Matlock, Colombo, Petrocelli, Murder She Wrote ...
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Our dear NEON has been HOLDING OUT! He didn't say a word about this, so imagine my shock when I saw TONS of messages of his on a Netflix message board. He's been posting non-stop about

TOO HOT TO HANDLE Season 5!

Yes, the Cone is back, and Lana is co*k-blocking horny young people again. The 1st episode is always funny because they fool the contestants into thinking it's a different show (this season it's a super yacht)... but then just as they're ready to get partying, the smoke literally clears and it's the Cone. They pout and holler and get mad... but then they hear they are playing for $200K.

Trailer:

Nice try, Neon! :P :lol:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

What are you watching?

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess Netflix is no longer available on the computers in FL libraries ;)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix. Two thumbs up.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Grumpy Git »

Grumpy Git wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:52 am Having thoroughly enjoyed Christopher Nolan' cinematic take, I am now going to watch BBC's Oppenheimer, a seven part mini-series from 1980, starring Sam Waterston, which has resurfaced on the BBC Iplayer.

For non Brits you'll find it on YouTube too.

More on the mini-series from Variety

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/oppe ... 235684455/

Finished the excellent 1980 BBC mini-series Oppenheimer, now on the IPlayer, ideal viewing if watching Nolan's recent cinematic treat left you wanting to know more. Particularly enjoyed seeing in greater detail General Groves relationship with Oppenheimer + the Trinity bomb test.
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

I've been watching "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" on Paramount+, and they had a cool crossover episode with the animated "Star Trek: Lower Decks" that was absolutely wonderful! I had not seen "Lower Decks" before so I watched 3-4 episodes before watching the crossover, and I enjoyed it so much that I've finished the 3rd season.

"Strange New Worlds" also had a musical episode which was really good. They just finished up their 2nd season with a cliffhanger. THE GORN ARE BACK!
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:55 pm okey then. I finished my binge watch of Succession. 40 episodes of 60 minutes each (last episode 90 minutes).

It drags painfully and there is a lot of repeating the same story lines... but far too slowly.

The production doesn't deserve the Emmy nominations, but the actors do. They made the best they could with what they were told to work with.

-----

Moving on. Now into watching season 1 of Columbo on Tubi.tv. Some of those early episodes don't make to network TV replay because the runtime is too long. (back in the day, it wasn't 30+% commercials. ) I'm reliving actors we all know as younger versions of themselves playing as special guests in the stories.
:popcorn:
I read some interesting things about the production choices. The camera was intended to be like a "person" in the room, watching things from various points of view. It wasn't supposed to be polished. It wasn't anything to do with what they were forced to work with, it was all absolutely deliberate choices. I thought the camera work was brilliant. Different. But brilliant.

This is one of those things that reminds me of why it's so great to have so many people with so many varied opinions, likes, and dislikes. If we all were the same what a boring world this would be.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

RVInit wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:01 am I read some interesting things about the production choices. The camera was intended to be like a "person" in the room, watching things from various points of view. It wasn't supposed to be polished. It wasn't anything to do with what they were forced to work with, it was all absolutely deliberate choices. I thought the camera work was brilliant. Different. But brilliant.
The sitcom The Office made a terrible production choice with filming. They did it that way - a person in the room viewpoint -- except with a freehand camera feel... The result was the image bouncing around jabbing and rolling. Triggered vertigo for me and was never able to watch the series.

So on some things, they really should present "new" cool things to a test audience. I wish I could have watched The Office, but simply was impossible.
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:15 am
RVInit wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:01 am I read some interesting things about the production choices. The camera was intended to be like a "person" in the room, watching things from various points of view. It wasn't supposed to be polished. It wasn't anything to do with what they were forced to work with, it was all absolutely deliberate choices. I thought the camera work was brilliant. Different. But brilliant.
The sitcom The Office made a terrible production choice with filming. They did it that way - a person in the room viewpoint -- except with a freehand camera feel... The result was the image bouncing around jabbing and rolling. Triggered vertigo for me and was never able to watch the series.

So on some things, they really should present "new" cool things to a test audience. I wish I could have watched The Office, but simply was impossible.
I misspoke. It wasn't intended to represent the viewpoint of a person. Simply a person that was in the room watching things happening. But not what they thought of it. The camera is simply a stand-in for someone who would be in the same position as the camera. Sorry for the confusion.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

A new recommend. PAINKILLER on the Netflix. Limited mini-series (6 episodes). Tells the story (and they are careful to say that some of it is fictionalized) of that poison OxyContin from Perdue Pharma that wrecked individual lives, friends, families, careers. Scary stuff what greed has done by big pharma.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81229686

ETA: When did that kid Matthew Broderick get so old? :confuzzled:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:07 pm A new recommend. PAINKILLER on the Netflix. Limited mini-series (6 episodes). Tells the story (and they are careful to say that some of it is fictionalized) of that poison OxyContin from Perdue Pharma that wrecked individual lives, friends, families, careers. Scary stuff what greed has done by big pharma.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81229686

ETA: When did that kid Matthew Broderick get so old? :confuzzled:
And yet for some of us, it's literally a miracle that helps make a half-way decent life possible. I know it's hurt a LOT of people and that what PerduePharma did was reprehensible beyond belief, but I also know I'd likely have checked out due to the pain I have a long time a go without it and other meds like it.
much ado

What are you watching?

Post by much ado »

bill_g wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:31 am Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix. Two thumbs up.
Mrs ado was telling me about that a few days ago as we were driving out to Point Reyes. I said it sounds a lot like Better Call Saul, which I have been watching on Netflix. I checked the listing on Netflix when I got home, which said it was a 99% match. So I guess I'll watch it...

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”