What are you watching?

pipistrelle

What are you watching?

Post by pipistrelle »

I watched the Doctor Who episode, "The Pyramid at the End of the World," which refers to the president who's orange. That led me this and this comment:
Darren, on June 12, 2017 at 7:41 am said:
To be fair, I’d argue the whole point of the Monks appearing as desiccated corpses is the same point of having them be explicit in their plans to take over the world. The entire plot of The Pyramid at the End of the World hinges on the fact that mankind knows pretty much exactly what they are getting, that they are not being tricked or lied to, that they cannot pretend they didn’t know exactly what they were doing or who they were dealing with.

After all, people who voted for Trump knew exactly what they were getting. A racist misogynist with authoritarian tendencies and little respect for democratic norms. Sure, you may not have been able to predict the exact nature of the sh!tshow that he would rain down, but there was no sudden switch, no grand con. Donald Trump was transparently a liar and a con artist, and the people who voted for him did so knowing that to be the case.

The same is true of Brexit. The people voting for Brexit were voting in favour of a xenophobic backwards-looking campaign run by people who borrowed Nazi propaganda, knowing that it would hurt future generations and damage the country’s economic and political stability. They may not have know exactly that it would lead to threats of war over Gibraltar, but they knew exactly the sort of monster that they were letting in.

I actually think that’s the beauty of the episode. We tend to think that people have to be fooled into making poor choices, into surrendering their freedoms, into enabling monstrous policies and individuals. The truth is that they just have to be a little be desperate, and they have to believe that it will give them a momentary advantage.
Clearly I'm behind in viewing.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

Raising Voyagers. It's a YouTube series(?) of a couple with two adorable girls who moved to Italy, bought a hundreds-year old stone farmhouse on a hill overlooking a lovely village, refurbishing the house and the surrounding landscaping/terracing. If you like Chip and Joanne from Fixer Upper, you'll love this. If you subscribe, it's easier to follow the videos in order.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Thanks, Git! Hiroyuki Sanada is my brother, he works so much I can't keep up sometimes. Looks fun!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

What are you watching?

Post by Greatgrey »

Was browsing YouTube videos and watched a clip from the Seth McFarland’s series, “The Orville”. I remembered the episode, Season 3 Episode 4.

There is a planet, Krill, that is trying to negotiate a treaty with The Planetary Union, the good guys. Only there is an opposition faction that is led by a character that resemble Trump in rhetoric, and her followers are dead on copies of MAGAs. Hell, they even have AI misinformation, and this aired before the recent explosion of AI here.

Anyway, worth watching. On Hulu.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Black Mirror on the Netflix. Nothing has come out since 2019 after a short 3 episode season 5. Assumed it had been canceled. NOPE. It's BACK for 2023 with season 6 ! Dropped yesterday. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
Happy Happy Joy Joy! :blissy:
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

I'm following some YouTuber trying to raise $100,000 in 30 days for St Jude's by visiting all 30 NFL stadiums.

Yesterday he visited the hospital:

The whole journey so far is here:

SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

You need to ask? Project Runway All-Stars! Season 20. Nina Garcia has been there throughout. I missed Season 1 which contributes two stars.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Flatpoint High »

Great Performances The Met Opera's Medea
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:30 am Was browsing YouTube videos and watched a clip from the Seth McFarland’s series, “The Orville”. I remembered the episode, Season 3 Episode 4.

There is a planet, Krill, that is trying to negotiate a treaty with The Planetary Union, the good guys. Only there is an opposition faction that is led by a character that resemble Trump in rhetoric, and her followers are dead on copies of MAGAs. Hell, they even have AI misinformation, and this aired before the recent explosion of AI here.

Anyway, worth watching. On Hulu.
I could't stand Seth McFarland, but my husband talked me into giving the Orville a chance, and I LOVE that show. I'm pretty sure it's been cancelled, thought, which is really disappointing. It deserves a longer life.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:21 pm You need to ask? Project Runway All-Stars! Season 20. Nina Garcia has been there throughout. I missed Season 1 which contributes two stars.
Yeah, I saw the first two episodes Thurs night and it looks like it'll be a pretty good season. I kinda feel bad for Rami, though - he was on Christian's season and now has Christian as his mentor. I find it funny, but it's got to be kind of awkward, too.

Speaking of Bravo shows, I was saddened to hear that Padma Lakshmi is leaving Top Chef. They just finished their 20th season and she's been there for 19 of them. She was actually supposed to be the host from the start, but wound up with a scheduling conflict for the first season, so they brought in Katie Lee Joel for just that season and let Padma start with season 2.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:36 pm Black Mirror on the Netflix. Nothing has come out since 2019 after a short 3 episode season 5. Assumed it had been canceled. NOPE. It's BACK for 2023 with season 6 ! Dropped yesterday. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
And it has fucking Selma Hayek in it!
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Extraction on Netflix with Chris Hemsworth is a terrific roller coaster. Some of the best cinematography (you won't believe how long the shots last), stunts and choreography. It's almost videogame like. There are hardly any breaks in the action. There's 2 movies so far, and Netflix just announced a third. Just watched the first and Variety reports about the 2nd: "Sam Hargrave, whose directorial debut was the first “Extraction,” has lent his stunt expertise to the franchise’s second film as well. The stuntman-turned-director stunned fans with the sequel’s use of a singular shot for a 21-minute action sequence."

Extraction 2 just released June 16. No date on the third yet. These are real crowd pleasing, fun, blockbuster movies comparable (or better) than a major in cinemas. Well done, Netflix, Chris and Sam.

Story about 3: https://variety.com/2023/film/news/extr ... 235645671/

A lot of announcements came out at this Netflix "Tulum" event... including Bridgerton Season 3 ‘Bridgerton’ Season 3: First Look at Penelope and Colin’s Romance.

‘Squid Game’ Season 2 Reveals Returning and New Cast Members, S2 is next year, but the Reality Show shot in the UK is up in December.

‘The Archies,’ Indian Musical Based on Archie Comics, Gets Teaser and Debuts of Khushi Kapoor, Suhana Khan and Agastya Nanda.

More on the stories at Variety.

And for Neon...
► Show Spoiler
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:53 am
neonzx wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:36 pm Black Mirror on the Netflix. Nothing has come out since 2019 after a short 3 episode season 5. Assumed it had been canceled. NOPE. It's BACK for 2023 with season 6 ! Dropped yesterday. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
And it has fucking Selma Hayek in it!
► Show Spoiler
"Salma Fucking Hayak" :biggrin:
► Show Spoiler
I am ready to sign-up for Streamberry!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:44 pm I am ready to sign-up for Streamberry!
Read that TOS agreement very closely.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Just started 'The Diplomat' on Netflix.

Takes place in Ben-prime 's old stamping ground. I'm liking it so far. Its fun.

I wonder if the nerdish, uh..., gender fluid staffer who cant stop their tablet from playing loud videos is based on Ben.

No? Pity, I kind of like the character.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:12 am Just started 'The Diplomat' on Netflix.

Takes place in Ben-prime 's old stamping ground. I'm liking it so far. Its fun.

I wonder if the nerdish, uh..., gender fluid staffer who cant stop their tablet from playing loud videos is based on Ben.

No? Pity, I kind of like the character.
Netflix was kinda pushing that show on me and I relented a couple weeks ago. Was surprised how good it was.

(and the gender fluid character reveals themselves in a later episode)
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Jury Duty on the Prime video.

Nothing I am saying is spoilers because this info is disclosed early in the first episode. It's a fake civil trial in an L.A. county superior court. All the participants are actors with the exception of one juror: Ronald. :lol:

8 30-minute episodes. Episode 8 is where they reveal to Ronald everything they did to keep him off balance and from learning the truth.
bob

What are you watching?

Post by bob »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:08 pm Jury Duty on the Prime video.
A friend of mine is a (fake) juror.
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

What are you watching?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Streaming service providers are trying to figure out what they need to do in order to make money. The providers cut programs. Or raise prices. Or add ad-supported levels. And some of the providers are merging. I find the changes from mergers to be the most interesting. I had resisted subscribing to HBO Max, but now it has merged with Discovery+ and reinvented itself as Max. So I figured that, at about $150/year, I'll give it a try. The other merger I just noticed was Paramount+ and Showtime. I've been subscribing to Paramount+, so now I'll get Showtime too. The price is going up $20/year, but I just paid for a year in February, so that won't affect me for awhile.

I don't know where things will end up a few years from now, but it sure is interesting at the moment!
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Judge Judy was supposed to retire. NOPE. She's up on Amazon's Freevee as Judy Justice. She also moved her other production Hot Bench to Freevee now and it is renamed Tribunal Justice.

Not making a recommendation here but just pointing out.
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

Trailer for an upcoming period horror movie:

Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

How about this for inspiration -- tonight, Diana Ross, looking INCREDIBLE at 79, is performing at sold-out Radio City Music Hall, just another stop on her tour. Truly a living legend. I knew Mary Wilson a lot better (and miss her), but Miss Ross is always really kind. What an extraordinary life. Seven decades of recordings!

Somebody uploaded her May 2023 Chicago date. She performed a song from her 2021 album, "Tomorrow" and in this review from San Diego:
She delivered “Tomorrow” — which came 70 minutes into her 90-minute performance — with infectious verve and energy. Ross sounded thoroughly engaged with the song, whose release came seven decades after she made her recording debut with “I Want a Guy.” (Released in 1961, “Guy” was her first single with the pioneering Motown vocal group The Supremes.)
Full review: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/en ... ert-sunday

Diana Ross ⭐️ Live 2023 **Full Concert** (Chicago Area 5/5/23)

Another legend (only 75) is on Netflix and it is way better than I expected: Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's a three-part series. What makes it fun is the footage, they have everything from the 60's onward so it's London mid-60s, Muscle Beach in Cali and all the video and photos look enhanced (if you haven't looked at what you can do with old photos and video with AI, you're missing a treat). Arnold is interviewed as well as many friends and colleagues, and it's well done.

One quick story from part two: Arnold met legendary producer Dino DeLaurentis at his office and insulted him. Dino threw him out in a minute and forty-five seconds. Later that year, a guy named Ed Pressman bought the rights to Conan the Barbarian. Ed wanted Dino to produce it and Dino said he hated Arnold. Then they signed John Milius as director. Milius used to bring a LOADED .45 to studio meetings and put it on the desk. Dino didn't want to piss John off and Arnold got the job.

A Pumped Up Guide to ‘Arnold,’ the Doc About the Man Behind the Muscles
Each episode of the three-part series explores a different facet of Schwarzenegger’s life and career.
By Amanda Richards June 7, 2023

There’s a line in Arnold, the new three-part limited docuseries about the life of Arnold Schwarzenegger that perfectly encapsulates the essence of the athlete, actor and politician in the five decades he’s been a household name.

“If you’re always hungry, you’re never really satisfied,” Schwarzenegger says in his instantly recognizable baritone. It’s one of a number of motivating mega-statements he makes throughout the series, describing a belief system that he actually lives by. After all, the man has reinvented himself countless times as a professional bodybuilder, actor, filmmaker, businessman and politician, an inspiring résumé for a kid from a small town in Austria.

In his latest role as the orator of his own story, the former governor of California provides audiences with context and insight into three key chapters of his life: Arnold as an athlete, Arnold as an actor and Arnold as an American.
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/ ... ailer-news

A fast bit with Arnold and Chris Hemsworth:

John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

In the final of the 30 in 30 tour, Tom reaches $500,000 raised for St Jude's:

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

What are you watching?

Post by Frater I*I »

Warrior season 3 just started up on what used to be HBO Max...

Last season ended up with a huge street fight, this season start with a gang war in the streets CHA-CHING :thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

Joe Pickett on Paramount+ on Prime with hulu tubi.* I’m hooked.

Michael Dorman (Gordo from For All Mankind) is a game warden in (where else) Wyoming. He, his wife (Julianna Guill) and two daughters move from the big city (Sheridan, pop. 17k) to take the job. Joe is an unassuming, mild-mannered guy whom nearly everyone misunderestimates, an idealist in a state full of predators.

Immediately, he steps into a land grab but has no idea until almost too late. The supporting cast is also good: David Alan Grier, Sharon Lawrence, Mustafa Speaks are some of the better-known actors but they’re all good.

There’s some animal gore - the plots involve hunting, hunters, and anti-hunters. A couple of episodes were truly suspenseful, edge of seat stuff. It’s also funny in places and largely avoids the cowboy/Indian tropes.

Highly recommend. :thumbsup:

*I get so confounded with these streamers. First season it’s on one, the next 6 episodes of season 2 are on another and then…who knows? :mad:
/rant

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”