Rest In Peace

Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:35 pm Roselyn Carter's funeral is being broadcast - live at least on MSNBC. Not sure about other outlets. It's lovely so far (1st 15 minutes).
CNN airing as well. I've shed a few tears. Their daughter just read a letter he wrote her years ago. *sniff*
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Their grandson, Jason Carter, is telling the loveliest (and funny!!) stories. I've sniveling again.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Beautiful service. :lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

Rest In Peace

Post by Rolodex »

Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:29 pm Their grandson, Jason Carter, is telling the loveliest (and funny!!) stories. I've sniveling again.
Jason made me do that "tears while laughing" thing. Wonderful stories, told well, by a grandson who truly loved and admired his grandmother.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:12 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:29 pm Their grandson, Jason Carter, is telling the loveliest (and funny!!) stories. I've sniveling again.
Jason made me do that "tears while laughing" thing. Wonderful stories, told well, by a grandson who truly loved and admired his grandmother.
Yes, he was the highlight of the service for me. I had no idea how fearless and stubborn she was.
p0rtia

Rest In Peace

Post by p0rtia »

Stunning service. Sometimes the simple words are the most powerful.
SuzieC
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by SuzieC »

I want Jason to run for office again.
SuzieC
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by SuzieC »

It was fun to see Laura Bush chummy with Hillary. Michelle sat next to Melania, but if they talked, I did not see it. Did anyone talk to Melania?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

There was an article on WaPo. Apparently, while she was received warmly by the family, the other first ladies weren't too chummy. Michele Obama, in particular, seemed to ignore her.

Also, I thought it was noticeable that Melania was almost the only person in the church not wearing black. That was also commented upon. She just had to stand out.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:02 pm There was an article on WaPo. Apparently, while she was received warmly by the family, the other first ladies weren't too chummy. Michele Obama, in particular, seemed to ignore her.

Also, I thought it was noticeable that Melania was almost the only person in the church not wearing black. That was also commented upon. She just had to stand out.
I think Jan 6 was the final straw for the former presidents and their spouses. Melania has made her bed. She can lie in it. She is as much a pariah as her husband. While Jan 6 was going on, she was doing something like photographing a rug, totally ignoring her husband's insurrection and riot.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't disagree. While I was watching the service and the lovely things they said about Rosalynn, I wondered if Melania understood at all what was being said about Rosalynn. I don't really care, though. do u?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Rest In Peace

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:00 pm I don't disagree. While I was watching the service and the lovely things they said about Rosalynn, I wondered if Melania understood at all what was being said about Rosalynn. I don't really care, though. do u?
My hope is that none of that will ever be said about her when she finally shuffles lose the mortal coil.... :pray:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
SuzieC
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by SuzieC »

Commenters thought that Jason Carter hit a home run when he pointedly thanked Jill and Hillary for bringing their LOVELY husbands.
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Private funeral today, reports say President Carter will attend. Is it just me, or does anyone else have a bad feeling he's been holding on to see her through?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:02 am Private funeral today, reports say President Carter will attend. Is it just me, or does anyone else have a bad feeling he's been holding on to see her through?
I think he said as much. He didn't think she could survive or should have to survive without him. Very loosely paraphrasing.
pipistrelle

Rest In Peace

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:02 am Private funeral today, reports say President Carter will attend. Is it just me, or does anyone else have a bad feeling he's been holding on to see her through?
Someone in their circle said he didn’t want to leave her alone, so yes.
sad-cafe

Rest In Peace

Post by sad-cafe »

yes he isn't long for this world
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

We wait. Service is private, but CNN reporting on air from outside the church that ceremony is underway, short video of Carter in wheelchair entering the church. After the service, she will be taken back to the family home for burial, so motorcade and opportunity for citizens to say farewells from the street.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Rest In Peace

Post by neonzx »

:brokenheart: :brokenheart:

All love to Jimmy and the Carter family.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Rest In Peace

Post by raison de arizona »

From the memorial...

Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks singing Imagine:
► Show Spoiler
Jason Carter (grandson): Secretary Clinton and Dr. Biden, we also welcome your lovely husbands
► Show Spoiler
Jason Carter's full tribute:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

I'd sure like to know if Melania ever cracked a smile at those remarks.
Rolodex

Rest In Peace

Post by Rolodex »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:47 pm Commenters thought that Jason Carter hit a home run when he pointedly thanked Jill and Hillary for bringing their LOVELY husbands.
I shared that line all over the place! It's sweet to have a lovely chuckle at a funeral, and it was quite appropriate, since it was all about First Ladies.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Rolodex

Rest In Peace

Post by Rolodex »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:02 pm There was an article on WaPo. Apparently, while she was received warmly by the family, the other first ladies weren't too chummy. Michele Obama, in particular, seemed to ignore her.

I was watching them trying to figure out the seating, and it occurred to me they sat in order of latest on down. Melania on the aisle (hopefully roasting in the sun* in her brown coat), then Michelle, Laura, Hillary (then Bill). Jill sat with Joe.

*I have sat in church when the sun is streaming through the windows like that and it's like a greenhouse if you can't move out of that sunbeam.
Rolodex

Rest In Peace

Post by Rolodex »

Kendra wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:16 pm I'd sure like to know if Melania ever cracked a smile at those remarks.
Not sure she understands anything about warmth like the Carters exemplify. People like that never crack jokes...when have you ever heard dolt45 say anything funny? Zero sense of humor.
The people who spoke about Roselynn actually knew her very well - it was quite evident. And folks close to her really loved and admired her. It was like so many funerals I've been to here where I live in the Deep South (except with the regular choir, not the ATL Symphony choir LOL), esp when family members speak about their loved ones...usually funny stories and words of love and admiration.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Here in the North, I have also been to many funerals where people laughed as the deceased was remembered. I think that's fairly common nearly everywhere in the country, and probably other places, too.

Return to “General Stuff”