Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

No. The sad truth is, I rolled over in bed and dislocated my right shoulder at 2:30 a.m. on this glorious July morn.

Sound asleep one minute, agony the next. It happened to my dad once, and I'm sorta built like him.

I was shocked :shock: to learn that the other one is dislocated too also. I thought it was healing nicely.

They're gonna try to pop the things back together. It isn't like a regular shoulder dislocation. The devices they put in me came apart or sumpin'. They're gonna try to pop them back together by hand (means no incision). But only a 50% chance of success on average, and if it doesn't work, then I get a full revision, which means a do-over..

Both arms will be in slings. This is gonna be bad. :blackeye:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:30 pm No. The sad truth is, I rolled over in bed and dislocated my right shoulder at 2:30 a.m. on this glorious July morn.
:snippity:
Yeah, sure. Blame it on Wifehorn again.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:29 pm
Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:22 pm I have two dislocated shoulders, and I have surgery tomorrow afternoon to fix them. :blackeyebig:

Doc: I never saw anybody with two at the same time before.

Me: Yeah, but I didn't do anything! What did I do?

Doc: I don't know, but whatever it was, don't do it anymore.

Me: :roll:
Can't Wifehorn use that maneuver I've seen done many, many times in the movies and pop them back in place? :bag:

Sorry for your suffering, but yeah, whatever you was doing, don't do it anymore.
On one of my writing sites a user who runs a group to get accurate info for medical stuff you might include in your book was just saying how that really doesn't work. She posted this:
Despite what the TVs and movies show - it is very difficult to "pop" in a dislocated shoulder. We never hear a "clunk" and often we have to sedate the patient to relax the spasming muscles and have to feel for the "clunk" - not nearly as dramatic on the big screen. But then - it's not as exciting.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:30 pm No. The sad truth is, I rolled over in bed and dislocated my right shoulder at 2:30 a.m. on this glorious July morn.

Sound asleep one minute, agony the next. It happened to my dad once, and I'm sorta built like him.

I was shocked :shock: to learn that the other one is dislocated too also. I thought it was healing nicely.

They're gonna try to pop the things back together. It isn't like a regular shoulder dislocation. The devices they put in me came apart or sumpin'. They're gonna try to pop them back together by hand (means no incision). But only a 50% chance of success on average, and if it doesn't work, then I get a full revision, which means a do-over..

Both arms will be in slings. This is gonna be bad. :blackeye:
OH NOES!!!!!!! I hope it goes well!!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:08 am Oh crap, I used my right (good) arm too much yesterday and it's dying. Appt. with shoulder doctor at 11. No functional arms remaining. :blackeye:
I feel ya. I am right handed and it's my right shoulder that is still in the late frozen/early thawing stages of adhesive capsulitis. So it's fine as long as I stay in a narrow, restricted range of motion and can use full strength if I do, but if I step even a little outside that range, *BAM* down comes the hammer.

So I rely on my left arm a bit too much now, and I'm still right handed so the left arm gets tired easily since it doesn't know how to do all the things my right arm does.

We should start an Island of Broken Toys club or something.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:30 pm Both arms will be in slings. This is gonna be bad. :blackeye:
How is the kicking repertoire in Rooster-style Kung Fu?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hi! I'm an rooster apteryx a wingless bird with hairy feathers.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
June bug

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by June bug »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:07 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:08 am Oh crap, I used my right (good) arm too much yesterday and it's dying. Appt. with shoulder doctor at 11. No functional arms remaining. :blackeye:
I feel ya. I am right handed and it's my right shoulder that is still in the late frozen/early thawing stages of adhesive capsulitis. So it's fine as long as I stay in a narrow, restricted range of motion and can use full strength if I do, but if I step even a little outside that range, *BAM* down comes the hammer.

So I rely on my left arm a bit too much now, and I'm still right handed so the left arm gets tired easily since it doesn't know how to do all the things my right arm does.

Best of luck, Foggy. I hope you’re in the good 50%! :pray:

Been there and done that with both shoulders, Ben. No fun, but I’m here to say there is life beyond! :bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Ouch!
I'm down for that...
jemcanada2

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by jemcanada2 »

:bighug: :bighug: Foggy!
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by poplove »

My 70 y/o friend has also been having issues with his shoulders. He's my ukulele club music director and a retired Marine E-9. He was doing yardwork this weekend and his left shoulder was suddenly in great pain. He got an MRI on Monday and his surgeon said it has to be completely replaced which will happen on Aug 22. He was scheduled to get his right shoulder repaired yesterday but that was cancelled as it is now less urgent. He can't play his guitar right now, but he can still play his ukulele.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ll take issue with the consultant on how easy it is to pop a shoulder back into place. There are many considerations, of course, including the severity and how much time since the incident.

I had only had a discussion, no YouTube tutorials or anything, about how to put it back. In just a few minutes of supported (by other arm) wiggling mine was back in. Then I checked a few minutes later, popped it out by mistake, and back in. This was in the immediate aftermath; it’s harder when everything has had time to swell up.

It’s painful as hell too. Poor rooster!
MN-Skeptic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My Seattle sister dislocated her left shoulder quite a few years ago while skiing. Unfortunately my sister is left handed and, as a commercial carpenter, her shoulder muscles were very strong and it took a lot of effort to put her shoulder back in place. Fortunately, they must have given my sister some drugs before doing that because she doesn't remember the procedure. Her partner, though, said that she had never heard my sister scream so loudly in pain. :(
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
sugar magnolia

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by sugar magnolia »

My son dislocated his shoulder and broke his arm in high school. He didn't realize the arm was broken but knew his shoulder was dislocated. He leaned back against the brick wall and basically punched it back into place right as the ambulance pulled up. 2 other students who saw (and heard) him do it turned around and puked. The paramedics teased him all the way to the hospital about doing it himself.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ouch!!

Get better soon.
ImageImageImage x5
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, again, thanks for the well wishes!

So I had my third surgery (since March 21) yesterday, and I have a new story about the fire, it was caused by a power strip extension cord, and not any kind of wiring problem with the house. Still gonna replace a lot of outlets and stuff.

And I might need two more surgeries, more will be revealed. For now I am AFK, I'm not supposed to move or even use a keyboard.

But I'm hard to kill, so I'll probably be around for a while. :smoking:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by poplove »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
June bug

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by June bug »

:bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:28 pm And I might need two more surgeries, more will be revealed. For now I am AFK, I'm not supposed to move or even use a keyboard.

But I'm hard to kill, so I'll probably be around for a while. :smoking:
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Good luck and best wishes!!
~Kriselda
tek

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by tek »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:28 pm So I had my third surgery (since March 21) yesterday, and I have a new story about the fire, it was caused by a power strip extension cord, and not any kind of wiring problem with the house. Still gonna replace a lot of outlets and stuff.
One common problem is that lazy electricians use the spring-loaded backwire ports on outlets... these go bad over the years, and because outlets are often wired through a load on a downstream outlet can overheat an upstream outlet.

Always want to use either clamp-style backwires or the old school loop-it-around-the-screw.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Those cheap multiple outlet power strips are not UL listed. The electrician showed me where it was melted, but the wires from the house wiring to the outlet were not even dirty, much less scorched. If the outlet is the thing you plug things into (not the metal box), the fire was 100% on the front side of it (the side with the the plugged-in power strip), and 0% on the back side of the outlet. And 0 damage to the wires leading to the box.

Whatever.

I am still terrified that my left shoulder will be dislocated again and I'll need a revision. So that probably won't really happen. :violin: :crying:

Luckily, the two main recent news events on Fogbow are 1) Bing AI kicking Robert Laity around, and 2) RFK Jr. doing a backflip off a motorboat.

And I repeat repeat again again - AI is so much in its infancy, it's the equivalent of a three hour old human. Wait until it gets to toddler stage.

So I am AFK until I heal some more. :smoking:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

So, Foggy, after all your decades, you have now learned not to buy the el' cheapo powerstrips.

Um, and you are still not following doctors orders --- no keyboard usage. :fingerwag:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, which doctor do you think ordered that? :doh:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

Anybody 'we' know?

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet

Return to “Introduce Yourself”