Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kendra

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/10/politics ... index.html
Del Rio, Texas (CNN)Since Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott deployed thousands of personnel to the US-Mexico border, the operation has been slammed as overtly political and a waste of resources by Democratic lawmakers and even some of the National Guard members participating in the mission.

Last March, Abbott, who's up for reelection, launched "Operation Lone Star," citing a crisis at the US southern border. The operation -- which leaned on resources from Texas Department of Public Safety and Texas National Guard -- has swelled to more than 10,000 service members.

The speed at which the operation launched and its scope has fueled frustrations internally and among veterans of the Guard. Multiple members of the Guard who are deployed as part of Operation Lone Star and spoke to CNN described long hours with little to do, poor planning, and a lack of mission -- all of which, they say, are contributing to low morale among soldiers.

"As military, people know the term hurry up and wait. This is just the biggest hurry up and wait I was a part of, and there's really no set, 'hey, we're doing this, or hey, go out and do this.' It's just, we're sitting around doing nothing," one soldier said.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by raison de arizona »

Color me amazed that it was all just a big useless showboat. :bored:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

So, Abbott is going to lose the support of members of the National Guard the way Trump lost US military enlisted members votes. I'm OK with that, actually.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think I read somewhere recently that six men have been killed there since this all started, not by Mexicans.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

In one 24 hour period Greg Abbott has:

Declared war on TG kids & parents;
Considering pardons for 19 cops accused of using excessive force during BLM protests;
Considering ending tenure at universities;
Exposed for directing ERCOT to charge max rates during last years freeze.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

FMdLTmWXMAMuO2f.jpeg
Image Image Image Image
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/feature/h ... nQ29IFWOPI
How Greg Abbott’s Border Deployment Stunt Turned Into A Political Nightmare
On his way to a third term, Texas' governor deployed thousands of National Guard troops to the border. Now, they're finding their voices.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The ACLU is suing to block a Texas directive, backed by Republicans, that would have a state agency investigate parents for child abuse if they seek gender-affirming care for their children.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

There was a hearing today on this case, a motion for a temporary restraining order. Adam Flasfeld tweeted about it. A ruling will be issued later today.

raison de arizona

blocked
JUST IN: Texas judge blocks state from investigating parents of transgender teen over gender-confirmation care. - AP
Judge blocks Texas investigation of trans teen’s parents

A Texas judge on Wednesday blocked the state from investigating the parents of a transgender teenager over gender-confirmation treatments, but stopped short of preventing the state from looking into other reports about children receiving similar care.

District Judge Amy Clark Meachum issued a temporary order halting the investigation by the Department of Family and Protective Services into the parents of the 16-year-old girl. The parents sued over the investigation and Republican Gov. Greg Abbott’s order last week that officials look into reports of such treatments as abuse.

Clark set a March 11 hearing on whether to issue a broader temporary order blocking enforcement of Abbott’s directive.

The lawsuit marked the first report of parents being investigated following Abbott’s directive and an earlier nonbinding legal opinion by Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton labeling certain gender-confirmation treatments as “child abuse.”
https://apnews.com/article/health-texas ... deeda9cf11
raison de arizona

blocked all of them now
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:54 pm blocked
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 53984?s=20
JUST IN: Texas judge blocks state from investigating parents of transgender teen over gender-confirmation care. - AP
Judge blocks Texas investigation of trans teen’s parents

A Texas judge on Wednesday blocked the state from investigating the parents of a transgender teenager over gender-confirmation treatments, but stopped short of preventing the state from looking into other reports about children receiving similar care.

District Judge Amy Clark Meachum issued a temporary order halting the investigation by the Department of Family and Protective Services into the parents of the 16-year-old girl. The parents sued over the investigation and Republican Gov. Greg Abbott’s order last week that officials look into reports of such treatments as abuse.

Clark set a March 11 hearing on whether to issue a broader temporary order blocking enforcement of Abbott’s directive.

The lawsuit marked the first report of parents being investigated following Abbott’s directive and an earlier nonbinding legal opinion by Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton labeling certain gender-confirmation treatments as “child abuse.”
https://apnews.com/article/health-texas ... deeda9cf11
Andrew Feinberg @AndrewFeinberg wrote: AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas judge blocks the state from investigating gender confirming care for transgender youth as child abuse.
raison de arizona

Bill Melugin @BillFOXLA wrote: BREAKING: Texas Governor Greg Abbott announces Texas will begin using charter buses to ship illegal immigrants to Washington D.C. @FoxNews

Abbott says the migrants will be dropped off at the steps of the U.S. Capitol. He is fed up with the federal government mass releasing migrants into small TX cities. State officials say they are prepared to activate up to 900 buses, or “as many as needed”. @FoxNews
What's he gonna do if they refuse to get on his buses?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Is this legal?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Will they circle the Beltway all day?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

What’s legal got to do with it?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

DeSantis bragged he was going to send them (immigrants) to Delaware (can't bear to read his thread so I may be repeating something there). Maybe I missed it and I'm sure someone will let me know if I did, but I don't remember it ever happening. I do remember a bunch of idiot trumpers here thrilled he said it was going to happen, but never saw them bragging he got it done. I suspected it was because so many employers called his office to ask some of those people be sent to them as they are desperate for unskilled laborers. Don't ask how I know this but they're hiring homeless, convicted felons without ID and with bad drug problems to wash dishes and mow lawns. They'll put anyone to work for cash (and it goes exactly how you think that would go).
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:34 pm What’s legal got to do with it?
:yeahthat:

Even if a court rules that he can't do that, he will have accomplished his purpose, which is to energize the base and lay the groundwork for a presidential run in 2024.

If a court DOES stop him, that just adds one more talking point; that the evil deep-state, leftwing judges are preventing him from doing what is right for 'Murrica.
raison de arizona

Oh look. He got his face on Fox. And posted it on his feed, in case anyone missed it.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

So how will he know they are illegal? Does he think he can just put out a call for undocumented Mexicans and they'll come flocking to the bus?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:17 pm So how will he know they are illegal? Does he think he can just put out a call for undocumented Mexicans and they'll come flocking to the bus?
Its easy. If their name ends in "ez", then they must be illegal.

:sarcastic:
raison de arizona

Oh that's an easy one.
raison de arizona

Psaki: I know that The Governor of Texas or any state does not have the legal authority to compel anyone to get on a bus
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Abbott now using the phrase "voluntarily transport".

This could work out for immigrants trying to get to relatives or sponsors in the DC area. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Y'know,

Back in the day (it was 1977) I was working temporarily in Midland. I had an invitation to spend a weekend in Lubbock, about 90 miles or so away. So, I hopped in the rental car bright and early Saturday morning and drove to Lubbock. On a lonely, rural stretch of highway about halfway there was a road block. We drivers were queued up waiting for the law enforcement types to do their thing.

When I reached the front of the line, I had to show my driver license, car registration (rental doc), and the purpose of my presence on that highway at that hour. After the cop ran my license, I asked what was up, cuz we don't experience these things out here in California. He just said something to the effect that the law permits the cops to set up roadblocks anywhere anytime without purpose. I don't think that there had been a jail break or something of that nature.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde

Return to “Current Politics”