JD Vance, fake hillbilly, is tfg's vice presidential candidate

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bob

Who will be tfg's vice presidential candidate?

Post by bob »

Off Topic
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:16 pm Hillbilly Elegy is on Netflix right now. Has anybody seen it?
I shoulder surfed it.

The acting (especially from Close and Adams) is good. But many of the "based on a true story" aspects are clearly based on, as in, there are many points where (even without having read the book) things are rather obviously being dramatized for drama's sake.

The movie focuses on the plot (who/what/when/where), whereas the book (reviewers said) discussed more of the why.
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

The bar was very low apparently
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Off Topic
bob wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:26 pm
Off Topic
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:16 pm Hillbilly Elegy is on Netflix right now. Has anybody seen it?
I shoulder surfed it.

The acting (especially from Close and Adams) is good. But many of the "based on a true story" aspects are clearly based on, as in, there are many points where (even without having read the book) things are rather obviously being dramatized for drama's sake.

The movie focuses on the plot (who/what/when/where), whereas the book (reviewers said) discussed more of the why.
I read the book. I think “loosely based on” applies there was well. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but the whole thing rang false to me. Not, like, factually false, necessarily (although his going to Yale story seemed false to me as it related to how he got there — I’m calling bullshit on his, aw, shucks, I applied last minute on a whim). The whole thing just seemed dishonest.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I'm waiting for the interviews with folks he went to high school with. They know the deal.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Ohio could have had Tim Ryan, now they're probably voting Trump just to get Vance out of that seat.
bob

Post by bob »

:lol:
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I'm sorry guys but I would be totally remiss if I didn't bring up all the memes going around the bird site about Vance. A little background
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/jd-vance ... story-hoax

Someone started a rumor that JD Vance wrote in his book about a situation where he masturbated by humping two couch cushions into a latex glove. And so everyone has been making memes about JD fucking couches. And I'm totally here for that...
Examples

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Raison, can I ask you to update the thread title to something that says Vance is the VP selection? Until and unless Trump changes his mind and dumps him, and then picks Taylor Swift, I think this pick is pretty solid. After all, the convention is over, and the race is on.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

So I've seen a post going around that Vance actually grew up in a middle class home in the 'burbs and spent only summer weeks with his Appalachia granny. I saw another one today showing where in his book he states his mom was salutatorian of her high school (in a part talking about her emphasizing education) but a program from her class not showing that at all (not even cum laude).

I don't know what to believe about him. Is there reliable info anywhere? Do we know what high school he went to? Are there interviews with childhood friends? Or even pals from undergrad or law school (like the roommate of Cruz who said he's an awful person)?

These politicians lie all over the place about their backgrounds/education (see: Ogles, TN) so I don't trust their own websites or wiki.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bob

Post by bob »

Vance went to high school in Middletown, Ohio (considered part of the Cincinnati metropolitan area). After serving in the military, he went to OSU.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:03 pm So I've seen a post going around that Vance actually grew up in a middle class home in the 'burbs and spent only summer weeks with his Appalachia granny. I saw another one today showing where in his book he states his mom was salutatorian of her high school (in a part talking about her emphasizing education) but a program from her class not showing that at all (not even cum laude).

I don't know what to believe about him. Is there reliable info anywhere? Do we know what high school he went to? Are there interviews with childhood friends? Or even pals from undergrad or law school (like the roommate of Cruz who said he's an awful person)?

These politicians lie all over the place about their backgrounds/education (see: Ogles, TN) so I don't trust their own websites or wiki.
I’d like some real info on him too. He knows squat about Appalachia, and his family wasn’t poor.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:22 pm
Rolodex wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:03 pm So I've seen a post going around that Vance actually grew up in a middle class home in the 'burbs and spent only summer weeks with his Appalachia granny. I saw another one today showing where in his book he states his mom was salutatorian of her high school (in a part talking about her emphasizing education) but a program from her class not showing that at all (not even cum laude).

I’d like some real info on him too. He knows squat about Appalachia, and his family wasn’t poor.
Could it be that Vance is everything the birthers claimed Obama was?
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Apparently, Vance isn't even his birth name. So where's his dad? Need to get the ancestry sleuths on that.

But I really really want interviews with high school friends/teachers. You'd think they'd be crawling out of the woodwork.
bob

Post by bob »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:28 pm Could it be that Vance is everything the birthers claimed Obama was?
I, for one, haven't seen Vance's birth certificate.
Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:41 pm Apparently, Vance isn't even his birth name. So where's his dad? Need to get the ancestry sleuths on that.

But I really really want interviews with high school friends/teachers. You'd think they'd be crawling out of the woodwork.
James Donald Bowman
then
James David Hamel
and finally
JD Vance
bob

Post by bob »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:48 pm James Donald Bowman
then
James David Hamel
and finally
JD Vance
Birthers endlessly (and wrongly!) said Obama was the only president with so many aliases (Leslie King would disagree).

"For completeness": USA Today: Why did JD Vance change his name?:
JD Vance's name changes tie back to his maternal grandparents, and the Ohio background that spawned Hillbilly Elegy and an eventual VP nomination

Vance was born James Donald Bowman* in Middletown, Ohio, a town halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati. Following his parents' divorce, Bowman's middle name was changed David.

James adopted his stepfather's last name for some of his teenage years, with his 2003 senior yearbook identifying him as James Hamel. This was also the name used during James' military service from 2003 to 2007, where he served as a Corporal in the Marines.

In 2014, Vance married his wife, Usha, and decided to take on his maternal grandparents' surname.
It would have been interesting if he had taken his wife's name, and was now J.D. Chilukuri.

* Vance's biological father's name was "Donald Bowman," so I can see why Vance wanted to change both his middle and last names.
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Raison may be on hiatus, I edited the title to reflect recent events.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
bob

Post by bob »

Also, an exception to the "don't read the comments" rule.
Image ImageImage
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

bob wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:33 pm
Also, an exception to the "don't read the comments" rule.
It's gone now, what ever it was....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bob

Post by bob »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:38 pm It's gone now, what ever it was....
It is a public Facebook post, probably just being blocked by a filter.

Here's the sans-f URL: acebook.com/PoliticalFeminist/posts/pfbid0LojwXTEfYByqEMMybfJHtdLJ3R6cq4kUcZdLNpdcnXHE938fw8QMPsVD2rGdRRiAl

It is a collection of tweets mocking the faux hillbilly.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You can just put the URL tag over it and it will show up.

https://www.facebook.com/PoliticalFemin ... D2rGdRRiAl
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”