George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/16/politics ... index.html
A campaign fundraiser for indicted US Rep. George Santos has been charged for allegedly impersonating a high-ranking congressional aide to solicit contributions for the New York Republican’s campaign in 2021, according to court documents.

A federal grand jury in Brooklyn indicted Samuel Miele, who worked for the Santos campaign during the 2020 and 2022 election cycles, on four counts of wire fraud and one count of aggravated identity theft in the alleged scheme to defraud prospective donors, according to the indictment unsealed Wednesday.

Miele allegedly impersonated a top aide to House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, according to a source familiar with the case.

He allegedly solicited contributions from more than a dozen potential contributors using the aide’s identity in phone and email communications, the indictment says.

Miele created an email account purporting to belong to the McCarthy staffer and sent fundraising solicitations signing the aide’s full name and title, prosecutors allege.

Santos’ fundraiser received a 15% commission on the campaign contributions he raised, the filing says.

According to the indictment, Miele wrote to Santos in a September 2022 letter, “Faking my identity to a big donor.”

“High risk, high reward in everything I do,” Miele also wrote.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3YWFLX2

Gifted
In the United States, as an openly gay member of a party now targeting the type of show he once performed, Santos has backed hard-line policies that many in the LGBTQ community find discriminatory. He has supported a Florida law that bars educators from discussing sexual orientation in early elementary education. He has co-sponsored a bill that separates the sexes based on “immutable biological differences.” He has criticized same-sex parents, calling them the “flavor of the decade.”

But in his mother’s native Niterói, Santos actively participated in the budding gay rights movement, according to photos and people who knew him, and performed in drag more often than he has acknowledged. He attended the city’s first Pride parades, handed out pamphlets at events, befriended some of the city’s leading activists, and climbed nightclub stages to dance and lip sync in his drag persona, Kitara Ravache, promising to one day compete himself in Miss Brasil Gay.

Santos declined to be interviewed for this report. In a response to written questions, he issued a blanket denial. “None of what you are asking is true and I would advise that you have your facts straight and proof of what you write,” he said. He added, “My political opinion has always been consistent.”

:snippity:

Santos has rarely discussed his life in Brazil, where he spent significant time during his formative early-adult years. But a close examination of that past, including a review of court records and interviews with 25 Brazilian family members, former friends and acquaintances, helps bring into focus what amounts to the unpublished first chapter of the George Santos story.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Speculation is that they are nearing a plea deal. Or at least in discussions for one.
Dear Judge Seybert:
The government respectfully writes in advance of the status conference
scheduled in this matter for September 7, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. to request that the Court
adjourn the status conference to October 27, 2023 at 10:30 a.m. and enter an order of
excludable delay pursuant to Title 18, United States Code, Section 3161(h)(7)(A) from
September 7, 2023 through October 27, 2023. The defendant joins in this request.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 36.0_1.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Any plea deal better include his resignation. :fingerwag:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Surely Speaker McCarthy will bring his expulsion up to a vo... nope cant finish that.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

George Santos @MrSantosNY wrote: Word of the day: Speculation

Meaning:

The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
I've seen a few quotes from Santos today. In one, he will say that there is no deal forthcoming. In another, he will say that they are making a path forward. Whatever that means. And his House ethics complaint just turned six months old. Le sigh.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

His aide was also charged and it's possible that he is getting ready to plead out. They have him bragging in a message/e-mail about impersonating McCarthy's Chief of Staff in fundraising calls which was one of his charges.

He might plead and leave the Former UN Secretary General to fend for himself.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Suranis wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:04 pm Surely Speaker McCarthy will bring his expulsion up to a vo... nope cant finish that.
My mother would often ask me to look for her keys or something similar because, apparently, I have the ability to notice things, which makes them easier to find. I have had similar success looking for missing things around the church (more than one, I shouted out, "I found Jesus" when I found the baby Jesus figure for the creche).

McCarthy's missing backbone? Sorry. Lost cause. I'm no help there.
101010 :towel:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

northland10 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:44 pm
Suranis wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:04 pm Surely Speaker McCarthy will bring his expulsion up to a vo... nope cant finish that.
My mother would often ask me to look for her keys or something similar because, apparently, I have the ability to notice things, which makes them easier to find. I have had similar success looking for missing things around the church (more than one, I shouted out, "I found Jesus" when I found the baby Jesus figure for the creche).

EmptyGee has it in the same box as his testicles.

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:00 pm
northland10 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:44 pm

EmptyGee has it in the same box as his testicles.
You're talking about 2 things that have never existed, just like Santos' ethics....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Erin Burnett on CNN's Out Front says she'll have Santos up shortly, she's on air now. Could be fun, remember when that Trump aid (forget his name) spent a whole day bouncing from one cable news show to the next? She made me a fan when she said sir, I believe I smell alcohol on your breath.
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:04 pm Erin Burnett on CNN's Out Front says she'll have Santos up shortly, she's on air now. Could be fun, remember when that Trump aid (forget his name) spent a whole day bouncing from one cable news show to the next? She made me a fan when she said sir, I believe I smell alcohol on your breath.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Nunberg, that's it. EB made me a fan for life for asking that question. :boxing:
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:04 pm Erin Burnett on CNN's Out Front says she'll have Santos up shortly, she's on air now. Could be fun, remember when that Trump aid (forget his name) spent a whole day bouncing from one cable news show to the next? She made me a fan when she said sir, I believe I smell alcohol on your breath.
20 years ago, when Erin Burnett was doing the morning stock market show on CNBC with the late Mark Haines, I was a frequent guest to talk about some trend in the internet or software sector. Haines was a good personality and a smart enough guy. But Erin was by far the best interviewer of any of the anchors I dealt with. She was prepared and was able to put together good questions on the fly. I never felt like she was playing "gotcha," but she definitely kept me on my toes and I did much better interviews.

Burnett was the polar opposite of Maria Bartiromo, who was also still at CNBC. Maria was famous for being the first person to broadcast live from the NYSE floor, back when that was a busy place to be. She then had a reputation for being able to "get" interviews with CEO's, world leaders, etc. But she was dim and her mind was very slow. If I gave an answer that didn't match what she thought I would say, I could see the little wheels turning as she tried to come up with some sort of "gotcha" question to regain control of the interview. It was almost too easy to stay ahead of her. It's not hard to understand why she went around the bend and is just another far-right whack job, but I think she actually believes the crap she slings -- Tucker Carlson clearly doesn't.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:08 pm
20 years ago, when Erin Burnett was doing the morning stock market show on CNBC with the late Mark Haines, I was a frequent guest to talk about some trend in the internet or software sector. Haines was a good personality and a smart enough guy. But Erin was by far the best interviewer of any of the anchors I dealt with. She was prepared and was able to put together good questions on the fly. I never felt like she was playing "gotcha," but she definitely kept me on my toes and I did much better interviews.

Burnett was the polar opposite of Maria Bartiromo, who was also still at CNBC. Maria was famous for being the first person to broadcast live from the NYSE floor, back when that was a busy place to be. She then had a reputation for being able to "get" interviews with CEO's, world leaders, etc. But she was dim and her mind was very slow. If I gave an answer that didn't match what she thought I would say, I could see the little wheels turning as she tried to come up with some sort of "gotcha" question to regain control of the interview. It was almost too easy to stay ahead of her. It's not hard to understand why she went around the bend and is just another far-right whack job, but I think she actually believes the crap she slings -- Tucker Carlson clearly doesn't.
Excellent input, that's part of EB's background I wasn't aware of.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

a vlogger on Santos, comments a CNN clip, skip intro to 2'20" for interview

raison de arizona

Good grief he’s so bad.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Like most compulsive liars he thinks he is smarter than everyone else, so it does not occur to him that people will see through it. And if the do they just assume they will bamboozle the idiots with the next lie. So they tend to fall apart when questioned hard as they cant deal with their own contradictions very well.
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I just can't wait for this guy to be in prison.

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Gregg wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:03 am I just can't wait for this guy to be in prison.
But according to him it won’t be prison, it will be a health resort…

Nahh… he’s going to flee rather than go to jail.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: and it's really me

Post by Foggy »

Brazil. Big country.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

This may be CT country, but I wouldn't be surprised if the idjit has another previously unknown identity, passport and all.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Dave from down under wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:10 am
Gregg wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:03 am I just can't wait for this guy to be in prison.
But according to him it won’t be prison, it will be a health resort…

Nahh… he’s going to flee rather than go to jail.
I am absolutely sure of that. I'm am undecided on if he flees mid-trial, because there is going to be a very good argument for pre-sentence remand on this, he holds a dual passsport and once he is in Brazil they won't deport a citizen. Has anyone figured out where he was born?

Anywho, he's the only Memeber of Congress I know of who's little Wiki Info Box off to the side has a criminal details section where most politicians have the "Served from Served to Preceeded by..." stuff.
George Santos

Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York's 3rd district

Incumbent

Assumed office January 3, 2023
Preceded by Thomas Suozzi
Personal details
Born July 22, 1988 (age 35)
Political party Republican

Criminal information

Criminal status Indicted (United States)
Plea bargain (Brazil)

Criminal charge 13 felonies

United States:
7 counts of wire fraud
3 counts of money laundering
1 count of theft of public funds
2 counts of making materially false statements to the House of Representatives

Brazil:
Check fraud
Wiki Page

Return to “Current Politics”