TESLA and Elon Musk - anything not elsewhere

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I wonder what happens to that thing when it's in an accident.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:16 pm I wonder what happens to that thing when it's in an accident.

... From "Top Secret" (1984), directed by Zucker/Abrams/Zucker of "Airplane" fame. Val Kilmer's first starring role.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveo_20240513_214541.jpg
Estiveo_20240513_214541.jpg (134.06 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Image Image Image Image
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I don't think that abused couch is going to fit in the Cybertruck if that is what driver was looking to pick up.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I know this will come as a shock. From the Houston Chronicle:.
Report: SpaceX isn’t paying its bills, enraging service providers
A Reuters analysis found that the rocket and spacecraft company has racked up more than 70 liens.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It's not that couch's fault.

Post by Foggy »

That's a cybercouch. Doesn't use gasoline. Very high end. :towel:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

trump should pick Musk as his running mate. I can see their slogan now, "Deadbeats United."
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

More a comment on the mouth breathing idjits who buy cybertrucks than on the actual vee-hickle.
Estiveo_20240514_052049.jpg
Estiveo_20240514_052049.jpg (156.45 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Jeez, they're lucky they got out before drowning. :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Did they actually try driving that thing in a river? :o :brickwallsmall:
Hic sunt dracones
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Suranis wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:52 am Did they actually try driving that thing in a river? :o :brickwallsmall:
Eldon sez it's watertight. :thumbsup:
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Doubtful, it's not heading toward the river. Looks like they tried to go off-road a piece, and the soil was more moist than they knew.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Flatpoint High wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 pm thxelmo.jpeg
I like the one where the whole panel just fell off. Must have been a windy day. :smoking:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

It’s the self driving feature…

It was feeling depression and self loathing and decided to throw itself in the river…

But being made by Elon it failed to launch..
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Foggy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:59 am
Flatpoint High wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 pm thxelmo.jpeg
I like the one where the whole panel just fell off. Must have been a windy day. :smoking:
It was designed by a windy creator. That one must have been driven into a headwind.
Largo al factotum.
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 am trump should pick Musk as his running mate.
The fan bois on his dumpster-fire site have been saying he should run for president.

But Musk ineligible to serve as president (or vice president).

When this is pointed out, the inevitable response is, "BUT OBAMA!!1!"

:brickwallsmall:
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Federal regulator finds Tesla Autopilot has 'critical safety gap' linked to hundreds of collisions

PUBLISHED FRI, APR 26 2024 1:21 PM EDT UPDATED FRI, APR 26 2024 4:28 PM EDT
Lora Kolodny Rob Wile, NBC News

KEY POINTS
  • Federal authorities say a "critical safety gap" in Tesla's Autopilot system contributed to at least 467 collisions, 13 resulting in fatalities.
    The findings come from a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysis of 956 crashes in which Tesla Autopilot was thought to have been in use.
    Tesla's Autopilot design has "led to foreseeable misuse and avoidable crashes," the NHTSA report said.
Federal authorities say a "critical safety gap" in Tesla's Autopilot system contributed to at least 467 collisions, 13 resulting in fatalities and "many others" resulting in serious injuries.

The findings come from a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysis of 956 crashes in which Tesla Autopilot was thought to have been in use. The results of the nearly three-year investigation were published Friday.

Tesla's Autopilot design has "led to foreseeable misuse and avoidable crashes," the NHTSA report said. The system did not "sufficiently ensure driver attention and appropriate use."

NHTSA's filing pointed to a "weak driver engagement system," and Autopilot that stays switched on even when a driver isn't paying adequate attention to the road or the driving task. The driver engagement system includes various prompts, including "nags" or chimes, that tell drivers to pay attention and keep their hands on the wheel, as well as in-cabin cameras that can detect when a driver is not looking at the road.

The agency also said it was opening a new probe into the effectiveness of a software update Tesla previously issued as part of a recall in December. That update was meant to fix Autopilot defects that NHTSA identified as part of this same investigation.

The voluntary recall via an over-the-air software update covered 2 million Tesla vehicles in the U.S., and was supposed to specifically improve driver monitoring systems in Teslas equipped with Autopilot.

NHTSA suggested in its report Friday that the software update was probably inadequate, since more crashes linked to Autopilot continue to be reported.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/04/26/tes ... nhtsa.html
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Tesla’s CyberHammer Makes Sense If You Hit Yourself With It
The CyberHammer might look tough, but it's only meant to be a display piece

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-s-cyberhamme ... 1851478583
Despite, well, not being that tough, a big chunk of the Tesla Cybertruck’s perceived value is that it is super duper tough. The automaker seems to have realized this is a winning marketing strategy, so it decided to introduce a new product called the CyberHammer. Much like the truck, it’s just for show.

It’s meant to commemorate the Cybertruck’s unveiling 1,000 years ago when design chief Franz von Holzhausen took a sledgehammer to the site of the stainless steel truck to demonstrate its “toughness.” The spectacle clearly worked on the Tesla faithful. Anyway, just 800 of these hammers were built at $700 a pop, and I’m sorry to report that they’re already out of stock on Tesla’s website. If you’re a freak who wants one of these things anyway, head over to eBay. They’re being sold anywhere between $1,000 and $4,000. Good lord. :snippity:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

How Far Can a Tesla Cybertruck ACTUALLY Tow? We Compare It To a Diesel Truck!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The Tesla Cybertruck Struggles in Our First Off-Road Test

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I've wondered about the legal liability ramifications of self-driving cars. I don't think that the law has caught up with the technology, a not unusual situation.

For instance, if I am sitting behind the wheel of a self-driving car, with the auto-pilot, or whatever they call it, engaged, and an accident occurs. For the sake of this example, say my self-driving car goes through a red-light, or stop sign and collides with another vehicle, or a pedestrian. In a normal car, such an accident would normally be my fault, as the driver in control of the vehicle.

But, in my self-driving car, at the moment of impact, I am not actually in control of the vehicle. Who is liable for the damage, and/or fatalities that result?

Am I, sitting behind the wheel, but relying on the auto-pilot, at fault and liable? If so, does that mean that I have to pay as much or more attention to the operation of the car as I would a normal car?

If that is the case, what is the point of having the auto-pilot? I see none.

Is the manufacturer of the car or the auto-pilot liable?

A fully self-driving car is a little different than simple cruise-control, as implemented in many conventional vehicles. Those systems simply maintain a chosen speed. The driver must still steer the car and pay attention to other vehicles and be prepared to react.

I realize that a real-life accident is probably more complicated than my example. Was the auto-pilot used improperly? Did the auto-pilot fail because of a design flaw or improper maintenance? These and many other questions would seem to me to have a significant bearing on the question of liability.

Right now, I don't think that any kind of generalized principle of law can be articulated about such a situation. Yet, the question needs to be answered, and legal guidelines formulated, just as we have for other technologies.
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:48 pm Right now, I don't think that any kind of generalized principle of law can be articulated about such a situation.
Did you turn on the car? You're liable.
Image ImageImage
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

bob wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:24 pm
noblepa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:48 pm Right now, I don't think that any kind of generalized principle of law can be articulated about such a situation.
Did you turn on the car? You're liable.
Isn't it more an issue of "is it your car"? You're liable.
Largo al factotum.
bob

Post by bob »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:42 pm Isn't it more an issue of "is it your car"? You're liable.
If someone steals your car and causes damage with it, you're probably up to "you're also liable."
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

If Tesla was smart, they would refer to it as advanced driver assist and not Autopilot or Full Self-Driving. They terms themselves can lead to people thinking they can lean back, take their hands off the wheel, and not do anything.

Yes, the instructions say to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road but people ignore instructions. The instructions are better for Tesla lawyers to reduce liability as they can say, we told users not to do that.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”