RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

COPS behaving badly

Post by Greatgrey »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:22 pm Sounds to me as if a very large federal civil rights law suit is brewing in the next couple of years and the city and county may have to shell out $$$ as compensation.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:58 pm
This is exactly why we went into debt for me to spend a semester at Gallaudet and come home and teach in-service classes at the police academy on how to identify a Deaf driver and basic ASL commands.
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

note: poster comments on camera recording
Officer Fired After Being EXPOSED! Charleston County, SC

Missouri Transparency
7 Dec 2023 CHARLESTON

In a video released by the Charleston County Sheriff's Office, we witness the animalistic and brutal actions of Deputy James 'Hank' Carter Ill, as he relentlessly punches a man in the head after a high-speed car chase. The victim, a 32 unnamed male, is left unconscious, while Carter callously asks if he enjoyed his 'little nap.' This incident, caught on officers body worn camera, has sparked outrage and intensified scrutiny of the sheriff's department and the deputy involved.
Greatgrey

COPS behaving badly

Post by Greatgrey »

Cops crash into a bar, guess who gets arrested.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/st ... h-41472853

The incident happened in the city’s Carondelet neighborhood around 12:30 a.m. today, when a police SUV traveling northbound on South Broadway swerved across multiple lanes of traffic and into Bar:PM just as the LGTBQ bar was closing up.

The police probable cause statement associated with the charges against Bar:PM co-owner Chad Morris (who also goes by Chad Wick) alleges that Morris began to "scream obscenities" in the wake of the collision. The officer writes that Morris "struck me hard in the chest with an open hand, causing me to temporarily lose my balance." Morris then allegedly tried to flee into a gangway between the bar and another building, closing a gate on an officer as he did, according to the statement.

Morris is now facing a charge of felony assault on an officer and misdemeanor resisting arrest.
Greatgrey

COPS behaving badly

Post by Greatgrey »

p0rtia

COPS behaving badly

Post by p0rtia »

My favorite* part of this saga is how the cops reported that the owner shouted obscenities at them--as evidence of his aggressive behavior and a reason for arresting him.

Yeah. What fucking monsters.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

They didn't just arrest him, they beat him up too. Also.
Bar:PM Owner Arrested by St. Louis Police Was Beaten 'Terribly,' Attorney Says
Chad Morris has been released from the St. Louis jail after his arrest in the early hours of December 18

The Carondelet bar owner arrested and charged with assault after a St. Louis Police SUV smashed through the front of his business has now been released from jail — sporting a black eye and what his attorney says are bruises “all across” his body.

Police originally filed felony assault charges against Chad Morris, but prosecutors with the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office have reduced those to misdemeanor assault.

Morris was scheduled to have a bond hearing this afternoon, but his attorney Javad Khazaeli was able to go in front of a judge this morning and, with the help of video evidence that seems to contradict what police said in a probable cause statement, get Morris released on his own recognizance.

Morris had been in the city jail for approximately 36 hours. Around 12:30 a.m. Monday a police SUV traveling north on South Broadway crashed into the front of Bar:PM, the LGTBQ bar owned by Morris and his husband James Pence, just as it was closing up. RFT has obtained video of the crash.
"Very quickly it became obvious in the videos that instead of being apologetic for what happened, the police became aggressors and tried to cover up for what happened," Khazaeli says, adding that he thinks an outside entity needs to investigate the matter. "Internal affairs in this police department is not going to do what it needs to do.”

"There is a history of St. Louis police officers driving around drunk," he adds.
:snippity:
The original probable cause statement that led to the felony charge against Morris alleges that he "struck" an officer with an open hand and then fled into a gangway.

However, the bystander video seems to show the entire duration of the incident between when Morris begins interacting with police up until he went into the gangway. At no point does he shove or strike an officer.

The video does show the aftermath of Morris going in the gangway, followed by police.

Morris is pulled from the gangway and placed under arrest. “You’re the one who fucking hit me in the face,” he yells.

When Morris was released from jail this morning, he had a visibly black eye and scratches on his face. “As you can see, they beat him pretty terribly,” Khazaeli said. “He’s got bruises all across his body. This is for the offense of asking why they handcuffed his husband.”
:snippity:
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/ba ... s-41479575
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Greatgrey

COPS behaving badly

Post by Greatgrey »

The cops seem to have some beef with this bar. Harassment?

W. Kevin Vicklund

COPS behaving badly

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Looking for a re-enactment of Stonewall, are we?
Greatgrey

COPS behaving badly

Post by Greatgrey »

Keeps getting worse

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

COPS behaving badly

Post by northland10 »

I do disagree with the attorney that the car was flying before the crash.
Khazaeli has claimed the SUV was "flying" before the crash, but Kriesmann said Wednesday the SUV was traveling 40 mph before the crash and 20 mph when it hit the building, according to the car's black box that records key data points related to crashes.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... ffa19.html

I know it can be perceived that way. Still, when I took measurements from the landmarks in the videos (accounting for angles and stuff) along with using the clock on the videos, my results showed him at around 40 before running the light and having slowed to around 30 at about the parked car. That is about when he hit the brakes and swerved, which would likely get him down to 20 at the building.

So, the only truthful thing it appeared the PD said was the speed. Everything else is an ever-changing story, and they never mentioned the red light.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

What’s the speed limit there? If it is 20 or 25, I’d qualify 40 as flying. 15mph over is criminal speeding in many localities.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

COPS behaving badly

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

"Flying" is subjective, but 40 in a 25 zone may very well count.
northland10

COPS behaving badly

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:11 pm What’s the speed limit there? If it is 20 or 25, I’d qualify 40 as flying. 15mph over is criminal speeding in many localities.
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:14 pm "Flying" is subjective, but 40 in a 25 zone may very well count.
35mph, according to a sign up the street and others who commented on the Tweet.
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Thanks, yeah, I would say that if he was doing 40 in a 35, he was speeding but not flying.
northland10

COPS behaving badly

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:24 pm Thanks, yeah, I would say that if he was doing 40 in a 35, he was speeding but not flying.
I am not one to push the 5 over issue because I may be doing that myself sometimes.

I do understand how they could think he was flying. In my case, my neighbors and I, have been annoyed at folks that cut through on our 25mph residential street at high speed (we have a far amount of kids on this block). In my annoyance, I have sometimes timed some cars and done the math.

I have learned that some of those that I thought were "flying" really were not (though they could still have reduced it a bit). The smaller width of the road and how some turn onto the road quickly and initially hit the gas heavily, making them seem as flying, but when I watch closer, I notice they do not keep getting faster. I would prefer them to calm down a bit, but I have to realize that what I thought looked like flying is not.

As for the assholes who are flying, I really would like to have a spike strip and a speed bump mountain on the road. One of my neighbors suggested a nice large speedbump at the intersection which is about 2 feet high, and 2 feet wide, thus making our road a cul-du-sac.

At the other end of the block is a residential street that goes from one of the town's main roads to the hospital so most of the ambulances from the West and NW parts of the county take that road. They don't fly but drive the speed limit. Flying like some folks would do saves all of about 10 seconds and risks many other folks. There is also a school on that road but some drivers could care less.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

COPS behaving badly

Post by Ben-Prime »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:43 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:24 pm Thanks, yeah, I would say that if he was doing 40 in a 35, he was speeding but not flying.
I do understand how they could think he was flying.
Same. But for me there's another reason. When there's multiple vehicles moving down a stretch of road, the same speed looks normal even to those standing still; when you're the only moving vehicle, you may look faster just for lack of anything else in the visual frame that's moving. I've watched vehicles roll down the entry driveway into my condo complex and would have judged them doing 10 mph faster than they were doing just because I had no frame of reference and to a slow middle-aged fat dude on foot, 20mph can look like 30mph.

But maybe that's just me.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

We once complained about speeders, got issued a radar gun and a sign to check people out. While there were a lot of speeders, we found that we were terrible judges of speed, often erring on the side of overestimation.

The cops set up the real thing the next week. My ex-wife that prompted the whole mess got a speeding ticket. Karma.
Reddog

COPS behaving badly

Post by Reddog »

For some reason it brought to mind these lyrics.

And me, I'm flying in my taxi
Taking tips and getting stoned
I go flying so high when I'm stoned
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

COPS behaving badly

Post by keith »

Reddog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:24 pm
For some reason it brought to mind these lyrics.

And me, I'm flying in my taxi
Taking tips and getting stoned
I go flying so high when I'm stoned
Good idea, I was just thinking about putting on a record when I read this.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

School resource officer's gun missing after leaving it in middle school bathroom, MPD says
Memphis Police said they're looking for two Kirby Middle School students after they were seen leaving school with a school resource officer's missing gun.

Author: Jackson Brown
Published: 2:09 PM CST December 20, 2023
Updated: 2:13 PM CST December 20, 2023

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Memphis Police are trying to figure out who took a school resource officer's gun from the girl's bathroom at Kirby Middle School Tuesday after the officer said she left it there.

According to Memphis Police, officers responded to Kirby Middle School around 1:20 p.m. Tuesday after school staff said a gun was stolen out of the girl's bathroom.

The school resource officer for the school said she left her gun in a bathroom stall before noticing - an hour and 15 minutes later - that it went missing.

School staff saw a student leaving the bathroom 10 minutes after the officer left, trying to conceal something underneath a hoodie. This student and another student were identified, and seen leaving school together from an unauthorized exit without permission.

Memphis Police are still investigating the incident.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

COPS behaving badly

Post by bill_g »

I love speeding stories. From the Dept of Be Careful What You Ask For comes this.

When I was on our local land use planning commission, traffic studies were part of the community impacts of proposed construction projects that had to be considered. They usually went unchallenged. But, sometimes we heard from citizens beseaching us to *really* look into how many people already speed on these roads and how increasing the volume of cars would negatively impact them, their families, and especially their children.

Okay. Requesting increased traffic studies was well within our purview. We requested the sheriff's dept to place radar traffic cams in both directions on the roads of interest, and report back in a month. These are small solar powered trailers with a radar activated camera that would snap photos of vehicles exceeding the speed limit with the metadata of the recorded speed imprinted on the image along with a date and time stamp.

The sheriff dutifully presented us with their findings. It appeared to them that speeding was very common on these roads, and often by a significantly unsafe margin over the posted limits. It was significant enough that the department increased their enforcement along these roads hoping their presence would act as a deterent. From these actions (ticketing) it was determined that all the drivers cited lived along these roads including sobbing mothers who were previously so concerned for the safety of their children.

Surprise!

They knew there was speeding because they were.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”