New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
noblepa

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by noblepa »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:27 am
noblepa wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:05 pm I am not an accountant, but my undergraduate minor is in Accounting and Business Law. I also worked for Ernst & Whinney (now Ernst & Young) for almost ten years, although not as an accountant or auditor.

I remember, about 30 years ago, taking a course in tax accounting. It was taught by a guy who was both a CPA and an attorney.

At the time, he made what may have been an overly broad statement that "there is no such thing as client-accountant priviledge, so if you're going to commit tax fraud, hire an accountant who is also an attorney". It is true that the AICPA's code of ethics requires that an accountant maintain confidentiality regarding his/her dealings with a client, but that, in court, an accountant can be compelled to testify against his/her client.

Was he wrong, or oversimplifying the situation? Has the law changed in the last 30 years?
As others have stated, the law has changed slightly. Also, since he was not teaching a law school course, I think he was oversimplifying. The crime-fraud exception is a thing that exists, and privilege doesn't attach to criminal conduct just because an attorney is party to it. Now, if you fudge your numbers first, and then bring in the lawyer/accountant and tell them the truth, then they're expressly forbidden from telling anyone as long as the harm is already done.

(I related this tale on old Fogbow, but it's so good that I must share it again.) When I was in law school, my legal ethics professor directed our attention to something that was in the news around that time and was very helpful in illustrating the limits of the attorney-client privilege with regard to this sort of criminal or fraudulent conduct.

A nightclub burns down in Western Wisconsin under somewhat suspicious circumstances. However, if I recall correctly, the evidence of arson was thin or inconclusive, sufficiently so that it was probably unlikely that anyone was going to be prosecuted. The owner has a business attorney already, and he works with that attorney to file a claim with his insurer for the value of the club. At some point in that conversation, the owner out-and-out tells the lawyer (believing the conversation to fall within the scope of attorney-client privilege) that he hired a torch to burn the place down. I don't recall if the attorney filed the claim or slow-walked it, but the key thing is that the client told the lawyer this fact before the (fraudulent) claim was to be submitted by the lawyer. I do recall that the attorney was sufficiently concerned that he contacted the Wisconsin State Bar's ethics hotline. Their advice isn't definitive or dispositive, but getting their opinion and following their advice in a good-faith effort to do the right thing is a pretty good defense to a malpractice suit or a bar complaint. The bar ethics people told the lawyer he had a duty to contact the local DA's office and divulge what his client had told him. After he does so, the club owner is prosecuted for being a party to arson and (I think) a charge of insurance fraud. Club owner's criminal defense attorney immediately moves to suppress the incriminating statements from the business attorney citing attorney-client privilege. Eventually, the court denies the motion, the statements come in, and the guy gets convicted.

The key thing here was that the client's admission to burning down his own club was simultaneous with his soliciting the attorney to file an insurance claim that he knew to be fraudulent. Now, even had the attorney not found out until later that the claim was bogus, you could still make an argument that the right thing to do would be for the attorney to come clean and not be a party to the crime of insurance fraud. But in this case, the client's admission made the lawyer an active participant in the fraud, and no privilege could attach. If the client had filed the insurance claim on his own, gotten the proceeds, and then told the whole story to his lawyer, the lawyer would have had to shut up about it until the heat death of the universe, and (assuming the insurance company didn't find something the original investigation missed) the client would have gotten away with the fraud.

tl;dr: If you're going to involve an attorney in a fraud, you can only expect them to keep it secret if you do so after the fact.

Crap. Did this turn into a "how to get away with criming" lecture?

If the client had waited until after the claim was submitted before admitting to the arson, would the lawyer's ethical problem be changed? I was always taught that an attorney can not make a false statement to the court, nor can he knowingly allow his client to do so. Theoretically, wouldn't if be perjury for the lawyer to submit a not guilty plea on behalf of the client, if he knows that the client is guilty? If a not guilty plea is not perjury, doesn't the lawyer then have to be careful to avoid making statements at trial about the clients guilt/innocence that could be shown to false and that he knew they were false when he made them? Granted, it would be difficult to prove such perjury.

I've heard that some criminal lawyers won't ask a client if they are guilty or innocent, to avoid this ethical dilemma. In fact, they will tell the client that they don't want to know. That way, it can never be shown that the lawyer knowingly made false statements.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

noblepa wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:11 pm If the client had waited until after the claim was submitted before admitting to the arson, would the lawyer's ethical problem be changed? I was always taught that an attorney can not make a false statement to the court, nor can he knowingly allow his client to do so. Theoretically, wouldn't if be perjury for the lawyer to submit a not guilty plea on behalf of the client, if he knows that the client is guilty? If a not guilty plea is not perjury, doesn't the lawyer then have to be careful to avoid making statements at trial about the clients guilt/innocence that could be shown to false and that he knew they were false when he made them? Granted, it would be difficult to prove such perjury.

I've heard that some criminal lawyers won't ask a client if they are guilty or innocent, to avoid this ethical dilemma. In fact, they will tell the client that they don't want to know. That way, it can never be shown that the lawyer knowingly made false statements.
IANAL either, but I don't think a lawyer lying to the court is perjury. It might be contempt of court? Pretty sure perjury only applies if you are giving sworn testimony on the stand.
somerset

Post by somerset »

sterngard friegen wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:36 pm A guy can dream, can't he? I've actually found letters this damaging in discovery in my real estate litigation.
MAZARS Letterhead
[date within statute of limitations]

Dear Mr. Trump:

This will confirm my conversation with you this morning. Allen Weisselberg asked us how we calculated the assessed value of your [insert building] for [relevant taxes] for the tax year [insert year]. He said that you disputed this amount because [insert building] was actually worth twice that for insurance and net worth disclosure purposes. Mr. Weisselberg said that because you disagreed with the report to property taxing authorities you intended to declare twice that value for insurance and other purposes and that the City of New York would never find out or care. Because this is a matter of significance and could implicate severe civil and criminal penalties if the reported and assessed value is ignored, I thought it important to have the referenced discussion with you and to confirm it in this later.

We valued the building for assessment purposes after a discussion with your son, Donald Jr., who said he was speaking for you. We took into account rental receipts and the current debt load, together with anticipated taxes and insurance. While yoiu claimed to have forgotten, we then went over these figures not only with Mr. Weisselberg but with you as well. You approved the amounts.

Please be very careful in what you report to your insurance carrier. The value should be the same as the value reported to the taxing authorities. As you may recall, we had a similar issue several years ago and were only able to avoid civil and criminal prosecution by paying a large penalty. We gave assurances then that this would not happen again.

I hope you and your family are well. And, one last matter. Please pay your bill. It has been in arrears for over 48 months.

Yours faithfully,

[name of cooperating witness]

For MAZARS
:daydreaming:
Speaking of Allen Weisselberg:

https://www.businessinsider.com/allen-w ... ons-2021-3
Jack Weisselberg works as a finance director at Ladder Capital, according to his LinkedIn page. The firm is one of Trump's primary real-estate lenders. It loaned him $280 million to finance four of his Manhattan properties, according to records reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

Barry Weisselberg, another one of Allen Weisselberg's sons, has even closer and more complicated financial ties with the Trumps. He's an employee at the Trump Organization and had managed the Wollman ice-skating rink in Central Park, which until recently was run by the company through a contract with New York City.

He, too, received an apartment at the Trump Parc East building. According to Bloomberg News, Barry and his now-ex-wife Jennifer Weisselberg received it as a wedding gift in the mid-2000s from Trump and paid only utilities, about $400 a month. When the couple moved out, it was rented out for nearly $5,000 a month, and a Trump-owned entity sold it for $2.8 million in 2014, according to Bloomberg.

But while Barry and Jennifer Weisselberg both lived there, Barry listed it as a corporate apartment in his divorce proceedings, Bloomberg News reported. But their tax returns, according to Bloomberg News, didn't always list the apartment as a corporate perk. The designation may mean that Barry Weisselberg and the Trump Organization itself may have not paid the correct amount of taxes on the apartment, Bloomberg's Caleb Melby reported.
A bit more on Ladder Capital:

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

(Insert Captain Renault gif here)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
tek

Post by tek »

I'm pretty sure the Trump Org has always kept two sets of valuations, one for taxation and another for investment/loans.

If not for DJTs outsized ego and pintsized brain, they might have gotten away with it forever. And they still might.
slq

Post by slq »

noblepa wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:11 pm If the client had waited until after the claim was submitted before admitting to the arson, would the lawyer's ethical problem be changed? I was always taught that an attorney can not make a false statement to the court, nor can he knowingly allow his client to do so. Theoretically, wouldn't if be perjury for the lawyer to submit a not guilty plea on behalf of the client, if he knows that the client is guilty? If a not guilty plea is not perjury, doesn't the lawyer then have to be careful to avoid making statements at trial about the clients guilt/innocence that could be shown to false and that he knew they were false when he made them? Granted, it would be difficult to prove such perjury.

The ethical rules don't prevent a lawyer from defending someone who pleads not guilty to a crime she or he actually committed. The plea is not made under penalty of perjury, and the accused is not forced to testify. If the accused does not testify, the accused cannot commit perjury. Most (all?) states' ethical rules allow criminal attorneys to plead not guilty on behalf of their clients, due to an exception for criminal attorneys. For example, the attorney oath in my state says:
I will not counsel, or maintain any suit, or proceeding, which shall appear to me to be unjust or
any defense except as I believe to be honestly debatable under the law, unless it is in defense of
a person charged with a public offense
I will employ for the purpose of maintaining the causes
confided to me only those means consistent with truth and honor. I will never seek to mislead
the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement.
So it's a fine line. An attorney can defend an accused person even if he/she thinks the defense it not really debatable under the law, but has to avoid making false statements of fact. For example, if the evidence clearly shows the person was at the scene of a crime, the attorney can't say "Terry wasn't at the scene of the crime," but can say "Terry was at that location because he/she lives in the same building."

There are different applications of the rule for criminal lawyers because an accused has a right to zealous counsel. But IANA criminal lawyer.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Rich people need to pay more taxes. Those that pay taxes at all. trump only paying $750 wasn't just because he's a criminal, its probably more common than you'd think and not just because they're so smart.
You or I get audited, we go in, hope its not too bad, make a decent deal with the IRS and are glad to only have to pay maybe $2500 give or take. The point is, the IRS spent half that, and got a good return from their point of view. Now consider if they audit someone who didn't pay as much in 5 years as they just got out of me in 2 hours. Someone who is going to fight them through appeals not just on the total case but on every little minutia point of law, getting ANYTHING out of people like that means years of court cases, hundreds of thousands of dollars in litigation and all for the less than 50/50 chance they'll win because those people tend to know someone who might encourage the Tax Inspector to move along to some poor schmuck like me who will pay up and be glad it wasn't worse.

Der Fuhrer kind of screwed himself here though, he's too high profile to let go just because its too complicated to be cost effective and he's way too crooked not to end up facing not just civil tax charges but Felony Tax Evasion to the tune of millions of dollars. He has one case that the IRS had nearly given up on before he ran for President where he took a $73 million tax credit he clearly wasn't entitled to. Its as cut and dried as a speeding ticket on camera with 3 radar guns and a confession but he just said "I'm gonna take it anyway". But since its become public, there is no way the IRS can just let it go now, and with penalties and interest its well over $100 million dollars he's gonna owe.

Big secret, he doesn't have it and its not a case where "oops, my bad" he openly dared the IRS to fight him on it, so if he was anyone else that forced them to, he'd be going to prison for that.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

Gregg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:19 pm Rich people need to pay more taxes. Those that pay taxes at all. trump only paying $750 wasn't just because he's a criminal, its probably more common than you'd think and not just because they're so smart

Der Fuhrer kind of screwed himself here though, he's too high profile to let go

Big secret, he doesn't have it and its not a case where "oops, my bad" he openly dared the IRS to fight him on it, so if he was anyone else that forced them to, he'd be going to prison for that.
From your lips to Xenu’s ears
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Off topic for Trump. On topic for criminal lawyers and ethics of defending guilty people:

This happened in my city in the 1990s. A lawyer withheld tapes that showed his client was a serial killer and that showed his client’s wife was very involved in the rapes and murders. She was given a light sentence in a plea bargain before the tapes were finally turned over. There was quite a debate over whether the lawyer should be criminally charged over the tapes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Hom ... ontroversy
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:19 pm

IANAL either, but I don't think a lawyer lying to the court is perjury. It might be contempt of court? Pretty sure perjury only applies if you are giving sworn testimony on the stand.
Perjury was probably a poor choice of words. My point was just that a lawyer is not allowed to deliberately lie to the court. You're probably right that there are no legal sanctions for pleading not guilty for a client that he knows is guilty.

But in other things, lying to the court can get a lawyer disbarred, can't it? I don't mean making a dubious legal argument. I mean a flat out statement of fact that the lawyer knows is not true.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

An attorney representing the former daughter-in-law of the Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg says she's cooperating with prosecutors conducting an inquiry into Donald Trump's finances and "refuses to be silenced."
:popcorn:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Kendra wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:44 am
An attorney representing the former daughter-in-law of the Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg says she's cooperating with prosecutors conducting an inquiry into Donald Trump's finances and "refuses to be silenced."
I'm sure Trump is loving this!
:rotflmao:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

noblepa wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:36 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:19 pm

Perjury was probably a poor choice of words. My point was just that a lawyer is not allowed to deliberately lie to the court. You're probably right that there are no legal sanctions for pleading not guilty for a client that he knows is guilty.

But in other things, lying to the court can get a lawyer disbarred, can't it? I don't mean making a dubious legal argument. I mean a flat out statement of fact that the lawyer knows is not true.
I’d rather know the details of the crime so I don’t get surprised at trial. Clients lie to lawyers all the time. If he tells me X one day, and the next day he says Y, I wouldn’t necessarily be suborning perjury if he takes the stand to testify to Y, depending on the case, mainly because I don’t actually “know” anything. There are ways to manage the ethics of these issues, but the lawyer sticking her fingers in her ears and yelling, “la, la, la,” is, in my opinion, the method most likely to result in a claim of ineffective assistance if counsel.

As to whether it’s OK for a lawyer to enter a plea of not guilty for a client he knows* to be guilty, that plea is not a statement of fact. It is a statement to the court that the defendant is exercising his right to have his guilt proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

* As I said, unless I personally witnessed the crime, I don’t actually “know” anything.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 am
I'm sure Trump is loving this!
:rotflmao:
Am I hearing an implication that someone has already tried to silence him? :think:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
somerset

Post by somerset »

It would be funny (and fitting) if the OSG's ultimate downfall started with irregularities in a small side business like managing a municipal skating rink 8-)
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Who else is thinking that the reaction on Earth 2 to the former guy being criminally indicted is going to engender the next show of violence in the insurgency?

Makes the push to get TFG to tell the Earth 2ers to get vaccinated look pretty pointless.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump's taxes in hand, Manhattan DA's probe heats up
Trump's former personal attorney Michael Cohen has spoken with investigators at least seven times and is expected to meet in person with investigators Friday.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/natio ... 6f7537a2a9
Vance announced last week that he would leave office at the end of the year and not seek reelection, but in a memo to staff, he stressed that the investigation wouldn't stop.

:snippity:

Vance recently hired former mafia prosecutor Mark Pomerantz — who, as a federal prosecutor, oversaw the prosecution of Gambino crime boss John Gotti — as a special assistant district attorney to assist in the wide-ranging probe of Trump's finances.

:snippity:

In a sign of prosecutors' deepening interest in Seven Springs, Vance's office has sent new subpoenas in recent weeks to local governments in the towns the property spans — Bedford, North Castle and New Castle — following up on an initial round of subpoenas issued in mid-December.

Vance's office has also subpoenaed material from people who worked on projects to develop the property for Trump, including an engineer who said his duties involved presenting plans to the local planning board.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Get him!

I want that fucker humiliated, broke and jailed before he strokes out
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

sad-cafe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:13 pm Get him!

I would prefer stroked out, unable to speak or move, but yet fully cognizant. Then see all his money taken, and his [expletive deleted] stain kids and in law shipped off to prison, just before he's shipped of to the worst nursing home in the country and live as long as his father did. :daydreaming:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I vote for incarceration. For a long time.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:06 pm I vote for incarceration. For a long time.
I can go for incarceration, if we can add something like arthritis or rheumatism that flares up in cold, damp environments. Nothing painful enough for them to give him drugs, but so painful it never goes completely away. I'd be ok with that.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:06 pm I vote for incarceration. For a long time.
:yeahthat:

With no diet Coke button! :lol:
somerset

Post by somerset »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:13 pm Get him!

I would prefer stroked out, unable to speak or move, but yet fully cognizant. Then see all his money taken, Melania openly dating someone much younger, and his [expletive deleted] stain kids and in law shipped off to prison, just before he's shipped of to the worst nursing home in the country and live as long as his father did. :daydreaming:
FIFY

Or he could also be in prison, along with all of the above ;)
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I want this to be Trump.in a year

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not enough wrinkles and orange paint.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”