X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Lani

Re: Twitter

Post by Lani »

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tesla shares slide could put Musk's Twitter takeover at risk

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61239 ... um=custom7
Tesla had more than $125bn (£99.3bn) wiped off its market value on Tuesday.

One analyst said the slump in Tesla's value may pose problems for a $12.5bn loan Mr Musk has secured against his stake in the company.

The issues highlight the challenges he faces as he tries to run five firms.

Tesla's share price has taken a hammering, with some investors wondering whether Mr Musk's Twitter purchase is bad for Tesla.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Inyetesting
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:17 pm I mentioned that I thought tomi peahen or whatever her name is, a bimbo. It’s an opinion, no? It started when she was making all kinds of nasty comments about Kamala, wondering how many men she’d slept with to get where she was today. So, naturally, I asked her how many she’d slept with, she called me a bitch I called her a bimbo and she reported me for hate speech. Twitter suspended me for 3 days. I had no idea what had triggered it at the time, and she called me a name first!

Then someone asked me why I’d been suspended l, I told them; I got a week. Strike two.

A year later I answered another poster’s rant about her with my opinion. Strike three.

Not only do I not learn, I’d do it again in a heartbeat. There are pages and pages of people saying the exact same thing. They haven’t been suspended. And I happen to be right. :mrgreen: Look up the definition - the primary def, not the colloquial one .

Thin skinned girly is thin skinned.
"Bimbo" is hate speech? Jeez, next are they going to ban "creep" and "big meany?"
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

As I think I've mentioned before, I often respond to Tomi Lahren's blatherings with the following picture, and it's apparently more acceptable than calling her a bimbo.
EYq2cBPU4AEBg1M.jpeg
Image Image Image Image
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:59 pm As I think I've mentioned before, I often respond to Tomi Lahren's blatherings with the following picture, and it's apparently more acceptable than calling her a bimbo.
EYq2cBPU4AEBg1M.jpeg
I don't think thats a very fair comparison. Her eyes are slanted downwards, the doll's eyes are slanted upwards.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:08 pm
Estiveo wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:59 pm As I think I've mentioned before, I often respond to Tomi Lahren's blatherings with the following picture, and it's apparently more acceptable than calling her a bimbo.
EYq2cBPU4AEBg1M.jpeg
I don't think thats a very fair comparison. Her eyes are slanted downwards, the doll's eyes are slanted upwards.
I thought of googling for a better photo comparison but realized that I really, really did not want to see what google might show me. :eek:
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

There has been chatter about this and it is interesting. There is every reason to believe that Apple and/or Google would deplatform a Musk moderated Twitter app. As in not list it for download in their respective stores. If it is truly to be as open as Musk is purporting it will be, it will fall into the Gab category TOS-wise and not meet standards for being listed.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Already playing fast and loose with the rules, surprise surprise.

In this episode, Musk vastly underestimates polarization in general and on Twitter specifically.
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Attacks are coming thick and fast, primarily from the left, which is no surprise, however I should be clear that the right will probably be a little unhappy too.

My goal is to maximize area under the curve of total human happiness, which means the ~80% of people in the middle.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

If Musk is going to operate Twitter the same way he operates Tesla, heaven help us. The rules at Tesla are but two:

1. Elon Musk is always right.

2. When Elon Musk is wrong, see rule #1.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona

humblescribe wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:43 pm If Musk is going to operate Twitter the same way he operates Tesla, heaven help us. The rules at Tesla are but two:

1. Elon Musk is always right.

2. When Elon Musk is wrong, see rule #1.
Remember when Musk debuted his "unbreakable" windows, and in his public test it immediately broke on the first try? So then he tried another window and it also broke on the first try?

That's what he is going to do to Twitter. Mebbe. If he does what he claims he is going to do, the app _will_ get pulled from the Apple and Google stores, which will be interesting. He seems to be under the impression that as far as "censorship" his word (or the word at Twitter) will be the final say. It isn't.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Elon Musk told banks that agreed to help fund his $44 billion acquisition of Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) that he could crack down on executive and board pay at the social media company in a push to slash costs, and would develop new ways to monetize tweets, three people familiar with the matter said.

Musk made the pitch to the lenders as he tried to secure debt for the buyout days after submitting his offer to Twitter on April 14, the sources said. His submission of bank commitments on April 21 were key to Twitter's board accepting his "best and final" offer.

Musk had to convince the banks that Twitter produced enough cash flow to service the debt he sought. In the end, he clinched $13 billion in loans secured against Twitter and a $12.5 billion margin loan tied to his Tesla (TSLA.O) stock. He agreed to pay for the remainder of the consideration with his own cash.

Musk's pitch to the banks constituted his vision rather than firm commitments, the sources said, and the exact cost cuts he will pursue once he owns Twitter remain unclear. The plan he outlined to banks was thin on detail, the sources added.
tek

Post by tek »

he could crack down on executive and board pay at the social media company in a push to slash costs, and would develop new ways to monetize tweets
That "new ways to monetize" thing has been the death of many a company...

:popcorn:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:rotflmao:

raison de arizona

What a misogynistic asshole.
raison de arizona

Musk tacitly green lighting doxxing female journalists the right wing dislikes. Le sigh.
raison de arizona

I get that the FCC isn't in the position to block something like this, but the tonguing of Musk's balls in this statement is concerning.
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 2898A1.pdf
tek

Post by tek »

Fast-tracked Trump appointee opens his mouth why?
Nominated in September, Simington's Senate approval was fast-tracked, with an expected confirmation hearing expected to be held before the end of December. In October, Trump urged an expedited process, tweeting, “Republicans need to get smart and confirm Nate Simington to the FCC ASAP!”
The confirmation hearing was scheduled for November 10, considered near-record time, shortly after the 2020 United States elections. The day before his confirmation hearing, President Trump tweeted that he "wanted action NOW on this very important confirmation hearing!" He underwent his first confirmation hearing before the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on November 10, 2020. According to Bloomberg Law, he was met with a generally mixed response, including only "lukewarm support" from Republican members, casting doubts as to whether he could be confirmed before President-Elect Joseph Biden would assume office.
On December 8, 2020, the full United States Senate confirmed his nomination by a 49–46 vote. Simington assumed office on December 14, 2020.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Question for the financial folks - Is a company's Board of Directors tasked with looking out for the best interest of the current shareholders, or for the success of the company?

Personally, I don't see Musk benefiting Twitter on a long term basis. I think it's in the best interests of the company to remain with a diversified ownership. But, then again, I'm not on the Board of Directors and I don't know where their responsibilities lie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I bet the board is scared of law suits if thy don't give the shareholders a possibility to cash in. Isn't there still a formal meeting of shareholders needed for approval. And there the institutional investors are scared of their own clientele suing them for not taking the opportunity to make the yuuuge cashout.
raison de arizona

I haven't found a link yet, but I'm hearing that shareholders have filed a lawsuit to block Musk from acquiring Twitter.
raison de arizona

Musk's $44 billion Twitter buyout challenged in shareholder lawsuit

Elon Musk and Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) were sued on Friday by a Florida pension fund seeking to stop Musk from completing his $44 billion takeover of the social media company before 2025.

In a proposed class action filed in Delaware Chancery Court, the Orlando Police Pension Fund said Delaware law forbade a quick merger because Musk had agreements with other big Twitter shareholders, including his financial adviser Morgan Stanley (MS.N) and Twitter founder Jack Dorsey, to support the buyout.

The fund said those agreements made Musk, who owns 9.6% of Twitter, the effective "owner" of more than 15% of the company's shares. It said that required delaying the merger by three years unless two-thirds of shares not "owned" by him granted approval.
:snippity:
The case is Orlando Police Pension Fund v Twitter Inc et al, Delaware Chancery Court, No. 2022-0396.
:snippity:
https://www.reuters.com/business/musk-t ... 022-05-06/

IANAL but this seems like... a stretch.
raison de arizona

Daily Mail Online @dailymail wrote: REVEALED: Elon Musk plans to fire 1,000 Twitter staff, quintuple revenue, get 69 million users paying $3 a month and cut reliance on advertising income, his presentation to investors shows

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”