have you received your vaccine yet?

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Dave from down under

Re: have you received your vaccine yet?

Post by Dave from down under »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Oregon's Get Vaccinated site is ridiculous. They have a chat box automation to determine eligibility and enroll. Once enrolled, you use the chat box again to get a schedule. But, it's limited logic justs loops you back to enroll again, or off to another page that tells you to use the chat box. Ugh.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V's sister in CA got her 2nd Moderna shot Monday. She reported to Mrs. V, yesterday that 12 hours later she had flu-like symptoms, nausea, diarrhea, etc. but by yesterday evening she was feeling better. :D She has suffered from a variety of illnesses her whole life so we are happy she has now had both shots.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

duck dodgers wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:19 pm Oregon says June 1 for me. I am 62.
:x I don't know why OR is so short on the vaccine!! (Trump hates our governor. I think that's part of the issue.) Hopefully this will change very soon now that J&J is going to start 24/7 production of the vaccine. The Biden WH requested that they do so and they've agreed. I sincerely hope you're vaccinated much sooner than June 1. 💞

As a college educator, I'm hoping to receive my first jab by the end of the month. But it might be April. K-12 teachers and staff are currently eligible and are getting vaccinated. I support that they receive priority over higher ed faculty and staff.
Off Topic
My college (Lane Community College) is staying remote until at least mid-June, as is the Univ of OR. I will return to in classroom teaching at the end of Sept ... 18.5 months after the pandemic shut us down.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

LM K wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:57 pm
duck dodgers wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:19 pm Oregon says June 1 for me. I am 62.
:x I don't know why OR is so short on the vaccine!! (Trump hates our governor. I think that's part of the issue.) Hopefully this will change very soon now that J&J is going to start 24/7 production of the vaccine. The Biden WH requested that they do so and they've agreed. I sincerely hope you're vaccinated much sooner than June 1. 💞

The Biden admin just mandated that all educators be vaccinated by the end of this month. I doubt college educators will have received their 2nd jab by March 31, but I should have my first jab by that date. K-12 educators and staff are currently being vaccinated.
Off Topic
My college (Lane Community College) is staying remote until at least mid-June, as is the Univ of OR. I will return to in classroom teaching at the end of Sept ... 18.5 months after the pandemic shut us down.
WA State is miserably behind too. We are still only vaccinating 65+, not even 50+ with co-morbidities.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Azastan wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:11 pm
WA State is miserably behind too. We are still only vaccinating 65+, not even 50+ with co-morbidities.
Trump hates OR and WA. I sincerely believe that he put both states on the no list for vaccines. Thank dog the Biden admin is now in charge.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Woo-hoo! Jab #1 done three hours ago - Walmart, Moderna vaccine. Didn't feel a thing. A beautiful day for the one hour drive, then I stopped by my brother's and visited. A wonderful day!
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

Just got 1st shot of Moderna's vaccine at the Kaiser clinic that's a 5-minute walk. Barely noticed it. Mrs. Gneiss gets her 2nd shot on Saturday. :D
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:00 pm Woo-hoo! Jab #1 done three hours ago - Walmart, Moderna vaccine. Didn't feel a thing. A beautiful day for the one hour drive, then I stopped by my brother's and visited. A wonderful day!
Excellent!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My husband got an appointment for tomorrow about five miles from home. No trip to Ohio this weekend!

Dancing bunny!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

we get our 2nd in a couple weeks

Moderna

we had to drive an hour and it was a wallyworld.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Since some of us have had the round bandage which the vaccine was given through, I did some looking. It sounds pretty cool -

Retired Bowling Green doctor invents bandage making vaccines more sanitary
“I became aware that people were actually transferring bloodborne pathogens when they were giving injections,” Dr. Watson explained. He went on to say that just using rubber gloves during the administration of a shot was not enough, and he wanted to create a way healthcare workers to be certain there was no change bloodborne pathogens would be spread.

The bandage is circular, with an adhesive membrane. A nurse cleans the patient’s arm, applies the Barrier Bandage, and then administers the shot right through the bandage. It then acts immediately as a band-aid to catch and conceal any fluids from the broken skin.

“The Barrier Bandage is constructed of a self-sealing, non-coring, elastomeric membrane. which is another way of saying once the needle passes through the barrier, it reseals preventing any fluid from coming out,” Mark Harris said. Harris is the CEO of Inject-Safe™ Barrier Bandages.

Overall Harris said the product is a safer, quicker, and more affordable way to administer a vaccine.

Because the bandage is already on the patient after they are injected, the healthcare worker can focus more on disposing of the sharp needle, and avoiding accidentally sticking the patient a second time.

“Something that is really important is the reduction of needlesticks. Because you’re focused solely on giving the injection and disposing of the needle, you no longer have to go back to the patient and place a bandage on the patient," Harris explained.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They used those when we got our shingles vax. Pretty cool.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cool! Thanks for the info.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A couple of weeks ago I signed up with the Minnesota COVID-19 Community Vaccination Program. They were selecting eligible folks to get the vaccination through a lottery.

A couple of weeks ago my local health care provider required you to be a front line worker (or something like that) or 75+ years old. Last week they changed that to 70+.

Last week I finally scored an appointment for a vaccination at a city an hour south of the Cities. The appointments in the Twin Cities went quickly, none were available when I looked.

It's amazing how quickly things are changing.

So I had my vaccination yesterday an hour south of the Cities.

In the afternoon I got an email from the Minnesota COVID-19 Community Vaccination Program. I was selected to get a vaccination.

I also got an email from my health care provider that they are now vaccinating folks 65+.

And I happened to wake during the night so out of curiosity I checked that availability of vaccination appointments at the local Walmarts. I found more than a couple dozen appointments open at that time.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yeah, real fast changes.

Yesterday, a notice went out that the age restrictions drop next week from 75+ to 65+. I check on line this morning, and the news was that appointments would begin soon. I kept the page open on my computer, refreshed regularly, and suddenly appointments could be made for March 8. Talk about soon! So I'm first in line on the 8th! It's at a hospital, extra supervision, etc., and I got my epipens.

It's likely to be the J&J, which makes me happy as the mRNA may be more of a problem for me. (Nobody knows for sure. We are all happy lab rats.)

Also, for all the moaning about J&J, its testing was different from Moderna & Phizer. J&J only did one shot, which had good results. Moderna & Phizer had a lower effectiveness from one shot than J&J. People are comparing apples to squirrels when they worry about J&J.

Things are still evolving, so it's possible that the J&J vaccine will soon have a 2nd shot for a bigger boost.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:13 pm So I'm first in line on the 8th! It's at a hospital, extra supervision, etc., and I got my epipens.
Yay! (Insert thumbs up smilie.)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good for you, Lani!

I've also heard the Moderna and Pfizer may need third doses. Things do change quickly. So far I got the Moderna (due for second next week), hubby got Pfizer today, my brother got Pfizer Tuesday. We are still trying for my sister. All have medical issues. Things do seem to be moving in the right direction.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, here's some more good news about J&J vaccine.

The vaccines were studied at different times during the pandemic, when different variants were circulating. J&J testing included D614G and the new variants, which including the South African one. The other companies did not as those variants weren't known at that earlier time. And J&J is effective for those new variants, but at a lower rate of 60%+ versus 90%+ for D614G. There's no way to know how Moderna and Phizer vaccines would have fared in the same scenario.

Also, the immunity figure for the J&J comes from testing after 28 days. Now there is new data that the J&J vaccine rises to more than 90% within a month and a half after vaccination. So about the same as the other two vaccines that require 2 shots to reach about the same level.

Share with your friends and family who might be feeling grumpy about J&J vaccinations. There is no reason to think it is inferior, and it might be better as the virus continues to mutate.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

I'm wondering if the J&J vaccine will eventually be approved as the third shot after receiving the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines.
Largo al factotum.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:23 pm I volunteered today for a vaccine clinic. In the morning, everyone got Pfizer. Some were second shots. In the afternoon we switched to J & J which the Health Department received just Monday. This was 65 and up.

People were so thrilled to get vaccinated! It lifted my spirits considerably. The Health Department here was incredibly organized and we did on average 120 vaccines an hour before lunch.

At 3:30, the director came around and said they had no-shows and about 20 jabs left and would I like one. Hell yes! Got my first Pfizer at 61.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Pfizer 1st jab Feb. 11
2nd scheduled on Mar 4.... got today at !:35pm no adverse effects... yet.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Small news, but four days after 1st Pfizer vaccine, my arm is no longer sensitive to the touch.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Got my Pfirst Pfizer yesterday. Get the second on March 25. Not enough time to be able to have grandgurlzz for spring break. :cry:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Priest? I almost edited that to say "first" but I wasn't 100% certain. :?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”