X -Where Twitter goes to die.

tek

Re: Twitter

Post by tek »

Elon Musk says his offer to buy Twitter is about 'the future of civilization,' not making money

Washington (CNN Business)
Elon Musk defended his offer to purchase Twitter on Thursday, saying during an on-stage interview at the TED conference that he sees the acquisition as nothing less than a turning point for civilization.
uh huh.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Wow, a lot of surprising people are suddenly becoming very concerned with fiduciary responsibilities.
Donald Trump Jr. @DonaldJTrumpJr wrote: As if the rabid censoring here wasn’t enough for the Twitter board to be violating their fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, they’re now turning down an offer of almost double what Twitter’s bankers at Goldman Sachs said people should sell at. The lawsuits should be fun.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Musk is pushing forward with his takeover bid, filing that he has secured financing (Morgan Stanley.) Or at least he is keeping his options open.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... sc13da.htm
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Guess I will have to find some other social media site to haunt. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:49 pm https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/15184294 ... hEujBcrf-w

Guess I will have to find some other social media site to haunt. :(
Truth Social ? 8-) :lol:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Or could give it up altogether. I grew up without it and I’m not so sure it adds to my life.
raison de arizona

Twitter set to accept Musk's original $43 bln offer

Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) is poised to agree a sale to Elon Musk for around $43 billion in cash, the price the chief executive of Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has called his "best and final" offer for the social media company, people familiar with the matter said.

Twitter may announce the $54.20-per-share deal later on Monday once its board has met to recommend the transaction to Twitter shareholders, the sources said. It is always possible that the deal collapses at the last minute, the sources added.
:snippity:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/excl ... 022-04-25/
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Iv had an account for years, but I only started spending much tIme on it lately because it is a good source of info on war in Ukraine.
tek

Post by tek »

this is most excellent news.

Now when your Tesla slams into a bridge abutment because it was on autopilot while you were having sex with your mistress (or misterstress, I guess) in the back seat, it can post the video directly to your Twit account!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Are they calling his bluff, and can he come up with the cash? :think:

If he buys it, I will leave, and I think many others will, too also. Be great if he pays all that money and half of us quit.

And then we might could get a "left-wing Twitter". Which would be unfortunate, but better than nothing.

Strange days. :oldman:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I seem to be in the minority. I’m going to wait and see. I can’t really quit, I’m suspended.

I don’t think he’ll change things much at first. Not even an edit button. He’ll revel in the attention for a while, threaten all kinds of things and laugh as twitter fights back, get bored and move on.
raison de arizona

Foggy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm Are they calling his bluff, and can he come up with the cash? :think:
Musk already lined up the financing and filed as such with the SEC FWIW.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The danger is that he'll reinstate Trump. That's a direct attack on our democratic republic, and will require counterattacks from the hacker community. I am dead serious. :|
You are what you eat.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The important question is will advertisers stay with Twitter? Musk is taking on a mountain of debt. He will need lots of revenue to service that debt. If advertisers don't provide that revenue Musk will face bankruptcy.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Dan Rather @DanRather wrote: I stop scrolling, look up from my phone, and out the window. I see a complicated but beautiful world. It’s still going to be there no matter who owns Twitter. And we'll continue to find ways to live in it, talk about it, and share with each other our thoughts, fears, and dreams.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:34 pm The important question is will advertisers stay with Twitter? Musk is taking on a mountain of debt. He will need lots of revenue to service that debt. If advertisers don't provide that revenue Musk will face bankruptcy.
Yeah, which is why I will leave and hope many others will also.

What will replace Twitter, I have ideas, each of which is worth its weight in pure gold. But, they're not very heavy, being just ideas and all.

But it would be nice to discourage advertisers.
You are what you eat.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I signed up for counter.social. there seem to be a lot of people heading over there from twitter. I got my same @Estiveo. We'll see.
Image Image Image Image
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:01 pm The danger is that he'll reinstate Trump. That's a direct attack on our democratic republic, and will require counterattacks from the hacker community. I am dead serious. :|
If I had any worries about this, that would be the least one. They banned Rash Face because they were under threat of lawsuits, not because of any moral obligation. He's not coming back, and if I'm wrong about that (and there will be a lot of Lawyers telling Musk what I'm saying) he will be gone in a week. He does not have any "Oh this is a Presidential account, really!!" shield to hide behind.

Why? He wont be able to stand Musk having power over whether he can speak or not. So he will try and demean Musk to become Alpha male head status again, and Musk will flip the switch. Trump wont be able to help himself and there is zero chance Musk wont have a million eyes on that account.

So ya, not losing a minute of sleep over it.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Elon Musk to Acquire Twitter
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Twitter, Inc.
Apr 25, 2022, 14:50 ET

SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Twitter, Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by an entity wholly owned by Elon Musk, for $54.20 per share in cash in a transaction valued at approximately $44 billion. Upon completion of the transaction, Twitter will become a privately held company.

Under the terms of the agreement, Twitter stockholders will receive $54.20 in cash for each share of Twitter common stock that they own upon closing of the proposed transaction. The purchase price represents a 38% premium to Twitter's closing stock price on April 1, 2022, which was the last trading day before Mr. Musk disclosed his approximately 9% stake in Twitter.

Bret Taylor, Twitter's Independent Board Chair, said, "The Twitter Board conducted a thoughtful and comprehensive process to assess Elon's proposal with a deliberate focus on value, certainty, and financing. The proposed transaction will deliver a substantial cash premium, and we believe it is the best path forward for Twitter's stockholders."

Parag Agrawal, Twitter's CEO, said, "Twitter has a purpose and relevance that impacts the entire world. Deeply proud of our teams and inspired by the work that has never been more important."

"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," said Mr. Musk. "I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."
:snippity:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 32245.html

Don Moynihan @donmoyn wrote: Will Giving Control of Twitter to a Narcissistic Shitposter Improve the Discourse? It’s Complicated
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I never signed up for Twitter. I've regretted signing up for Facebook, although I keep friends and posts really low. I've only been on Next Door a few years, and frequently regret that. As it stands, for me, social media sucks. :cantlook:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:lol:
raison de arizona

Dr. Ada-Rhodes Short 🤖🧠 @The_Ada_Rhodes wrote: If Musk successfully buys Twitter deleting your Twitter is one form of protest but Twitter has barely ever been profitable anyway so another potentially approach is working together to up the average cost per user and reduce income per user

Like if a significant portion of users installed an ad blocker and dropped click through and impressions on promoted tweets that would scuttle one of their revenue streams potentially

Also if you are a Twitter Blue user or whatever a premium user thing is called, stop
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:11 pm I never signed up for Twitter. I've regretted signing up for Facebook, although I keep friends and posts really low. I've only been on Next Door a few years, and frequently regret that. As it stands, for me, social media sucks. :cantlook:
I look at twitter from time to time, but now twitter limits me b/c I won't sign up. I'm still on Facebook... barely. I haven't shut it down yet, but will. In 2016 when Hillary beat Bernie for the nom, I posted that we needed to come together to beat tfg. I was blasted with profanity, hatred and threats from people I knew a long time. Most then promptly defriended me. Which was fine with me!

Same thing for my kid. He worked on Bernie's campaign. When the campaign ended, he then immediately switched to Hillary's campaign and was hired. He saw the danger. He was doxxed, threatened, harassed, etc., by phone, his Facebook, & other social media. He's still on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. He's calmer than I am, so he's fine with social media.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:48 pm I seem to be in the minority. I’m going to wait and see. I can’t really quit, I’m suspended.

I don’t think he’ll change things much at first. Not even an edit button. He’ll revel in the attention for a while, threaten all kinds of things and laugh as twitter fights back, get bored and move on.
What got you suspended
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I mentioned that I thought tomi peahen or whatever her name is, a bimbo. It’s an opinion, no? It started when she was making all kinds of nasty comments about Kamala, wondering how many men she’d slept with to get where she was today. So, naturally, I asked her how many she’d slept with, she called me a bitch I called her a bimbo and she reported me for hate speech. Twitter suspended me for 3 days. I had no idea what had triggered it at the time, and she called me a name first!

Then someone asked me why I’d been suspended l, I told them; I got a week. Strike two.

A year later I answered another poster’s rant about her with my opinion. Strike three.

Not only do I not learn, I’d do it again in a heartbeat. There are pages and pages of people saying the exact same thing. They haven’t been suspended. And I happen to be right. :mrgreen: Look up the definition - the primary def, not the colloquial one .

Thin skinned girly is thin skinned.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”