Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COVID Vaccine Mandates

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: COVID Vaccine Mandates

Post by raison de arizona »

I expect there will be a lot of confusion. Nate Silver with another one of his classic takes, simply ignoring basic things like flight crews, how viruses spread, and completely missing that there is a lot more to public transportation than just planes.
Nate Silver @NateSilver538 wrote: The average American spends something like 5 hours per year on a plane. The mask mandate might be good or bad at the margin, but it is very unlikely to make a major difference in the overall course of the coronavirus.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

:roll:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

Daniel Walters @DanielEWalters_ wrote: I can't believe how obtuse the statutory analysis in this air travel mask mandate case is. I can think of at least 2 other plausible readings at every turn, and yet I'm told this is the "ordinary" meaning of the statute. Whether false certainty or bad faith, this is ridiculous.

The opinion spends pages agonizing over whether the mask mandate is a santitation method in the sense that it "cleanses" or "keeps clean"--the two possibilities identified in a dictionary. If you have any objective reason why one of these is better than the other, shoot.

But on top of that, this isn't even the right question. The relevant statute doesn't give power to CDC just to regulate sanitation measures. It gives CDC the power to enact "other measures, as in his judgment may be necessary." Opinion glosses right over that.

And on top of that, it isn't even clear that the statute limits the CDC to doing anything in the list plus other necessary measures. Read plainly, the statue gives CDC the power to enact these measures to carry out and enforce "regulations" which are necessary to prevent disease.

I'm not even an a textualist and I feel abused by this opinion's lack of care.

It actually gets worse. The court says subsection (a) can't allow for individual regs because only subsections (b)-(d) reference individuals. But this ignores the fact that subsections (b)-(d) explicitly refer to the power to issue regs "under this Section." Not subsection. Doh.
https://twitter.com/danielewalters_/st ... 5949588483
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Delta declares Covid “an ordinary seasonal virus.”
raison de arizona

NJ Transit has now decided to drop masks as well. Uber too. A slew of airlines have dropped them, I’m actually not aware of one that is still requiring them. :shrug:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I’m disappointed about Amtrak. I’m going somewhere in June and was hoping the mandate would last until then.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Considering the general public backlash on mandates that is not surprising. Think of all the employees who would be confronted by angry stupid customers.

Now let's observe the statistics of rising infection number in two weeks. May be difficult cause reporting has been suuspended many places. Wait until services will suffer cause key employees report ill.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:26 am I’m disappointed about Amtrak. I’m going somewhere in June and was hoping the mandate would last until then.
Me, too, although we're not traveling until July. I think what we probably have to do, though, is just get used to wearing one on our own terms, mandate or no mandate. That's not as good, but it's what we're left with.

And, unless this ticks up hard again, I don't think it would still have been in place in June, anyway.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

White House says they are not going to appeal the ruling at this time.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:22 pm White House says they are not going to appeal the ruling at this time.
That’s too bad if only because, from what I’ve seen lawyers say, it’s an inept ruling from one of the “not qualified” appointees.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:28 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:22 pm White House says they are not going to appeal the ruling at this time.
That’s too bad if only because, from what I’ve seen lawyers say, it’s an inept ruling from one of the “not qualified” appointees.
Under at least some readings, this ruling renders the CDC impotent.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Life in a failed democracy.

This week has been an avalanche of evil, anti-democratic, anti-rule-of-law events. I see main stream media more and more adopting the horrific lies from the propagandists as the norm. It is terrifying.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

:thumbsup: whether they keep a mandate or not, this really seems like a necessary step.
The Justice Department will not, however, ask the court to stay the decision, meaning passengers will be able to continue traveling maskless while the decision is litigated.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

we are crusing in June

All passengers above the age of 12 have to be fully vaxxed

EVERY passenger has to have a neg test 2 days before sailing

I just wish the damn airlines would have kept the mask mandates because to get from our place to the pier will require 2 plans and a layover in Georgia
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

If it is not successfully challenged then when the next variant of higher mortality (or other health risk requiring CDC action), comes along them people will die - needlessly and just because an unqualified political appointee of a failed dictator is stupid/evil.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:44 pm Xpost
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:41 pm WTF is this crap?

I knew there would be a thread on this.

On NPR a law prof said of the Trump appointed Fed Judge that her decision read like that of a first year law student - simplistic and naive. Prof dug into her (mis)interpretation of public sanitation code claiming sanitation is only cleaning that kills germs. Since masks don't kill the virus, they are not part of public sanitation.

Sounds like judge shopping to me, and that she was well prepared to hand down a favorable decision. This won't be the last we hear from this judge. It's a lifetime appointment. Time to send some guard dogs to keep an eye on her actions.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:16 am Delta declares Covid “an ordinary seasonal virus.”
[img] https: //pbs.twimg.com/media/FQrQyWMakAM1P0A?format=jpg&name=medium[/img]
Yeah. Noticed that. Quite the diplomatic way to say "we know the dog bites, but not as hard as it used to."
raison de arizona

bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:14 am This won't be the last we hear from this judge. It's a lifetime appointment. Time to send some guard dogs to keep an eye on her actions.
Eggsactly.
raison de arizona

bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:05 am
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:16 am Delta declares Covid “an ordinary seasonal virus.”
[img] https: //pbs.twimg.com/media/FQrQyWMakAM1P0A?format=jpg&name=medium[/img]
Yeah. Noticed that. Quite the diplomatic way to say "we know the dog bites, but not as hard as it used to."
Delta eventually backtracked.

I like that their new statement says, “other scientific measures to prevent serious illness.” Oh, you mean like… MASKS?!?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:36 am
bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:14 am This won't be the last we hear from this judge. It's a lifetime appointment. Time to send some guard dogs to keep an eye on her actions.
Eggsactly.
[img] https: //pbs.twimg.com/media/FQykIBTXEAEsxMy?format=jpg&name=large[/img]
We will see more judge shopping with her being the preferred destination for conservative issues.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”