Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

You never know, something important could happen.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Are these the new extensions?
03A85707-699E-4CDC-9137-7057DD91103F.jpeg
03A85707-699E-4CDC-9137-7057DD91103F.jpeg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Green has bars that on a computer go all the way across the top. Looks sloppy. Green split (or split green?) has bars that form a neat box.

Brought to you by my OCD genes.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Really digging this hexagon theme.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The only thing I don't like about Hexagon is the logo, which is too damned big and fuzzy. I haven't taken the time to dig into the code yet, but it's on my list. I like a nice, small, crisp logo.

I have to confess, I am addicted to Unread Posts now instead of Active Topics. :dance:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:17 am The only thing I don't like about Hexagon is the logo, which is too damned big and fuzzy. I haven't taken the time to dig into the code yet, but it's on my list. I like a nice, small, crisp logo.

I have to confess, I am addicted to Unread Posts now instead of Active Topics. :dance:
I was just coming over here to say thank you again for adding the unread posts button.
So, THANK YOU!
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:14 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:17 am I have to confess, I am addicted to Unread Posts now instead of Active Topics. :dance:
I was just coming over here to say thank you again for adding the unread posts button.
So, THANK YOU!
The UP button has been there like for evah, certainly for those of us who can't be bothered with themes.

Active Topics might be useful after a while away, but I've never understood why a regular visitor wouldn't prefer Unread Posts. But hey, y'know, like, ah, horses for courses and all.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I find both Active topics and Unread posts useful at various times. I normally use unread posts to catch up on the forum but if there is a topic I might want to go back and post something on after catching up I find it with Active topics.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:29 am I find both Active topics and Unread posts useful at various times. I normally use unread posts to catch up on the forum but if there is a topic I might want to go back and post something on after catching up I find it with Active topics.
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:22 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:17 am I have to confess, I am addicted to Unread Posts now instead of Active Topics. :dance:
So, THANK YOU!
The UP button has been there like for evah, certainly for those of us who can't be bothered with themes.

Active Topics might be useful after a while away, but I've never understood why a regular visitor wouldn't prefer Unread Posts. But hey, y'know, like, ah, horses for courses and all.
Pretty sure Foggy just added the unread posts button back when he re-did all the themes and stuff a couple of months ago. We have had it in the past but lost it in the great FBv1 crash.

eta: I'm referring specifically to the "unread posts" button, not the drop down quick link for unread posts.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:17 am The only thing I don't like about Hexagon is the logo, which is too damned big and fuzzy. I haven't taken the time to dig into the code yet, but it's on my list. I like a nice, small, crisp logo.

So, THANK YOU!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:34 am

Pretty sure Foggy just added the unread posts button back when he re-did all the themes and stuff a couple of months ago. We have had it in the past but lost it in the great FBv1 crash.

eta: I'm referring specifically to the "unread posts" button, not the drop down quick link for unread posts.
Yes, I used it from Quick Links but it is a lot handier having the links at the top and bottom.

Something else I use from Quick Links is "Unanswered posts". Sometimes some very good posts do not get replies right away and get sorted down the pages after a while.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Other forums I've been on had Unread Posts, which I always used. It took me a while to get used to mostly using Active Topics here, but I would go to Quick Links when I wanted to see if how many unread posts there were. Now, it's much easier. But there are also times when I still use Active Topics. I really appreciate the addition.

:notworthy:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Yeah, that Unread Posts link is great, thanks for doing that!! Hexagon Reborn is a really nice theme, and I love that I can use purple and black - my 2 fave colors! Now, if only they included some way to fix that highlighting problem. That's the ONLY issue I have with the theme, and you'd think since they have so much control over the colors and stuff, they'd have found a way to code in a change to any text being highlighted so it'll show as black against the yellow (or whatever other color someone uses.)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I just went in yesterday to try the Hexagonal. I have used Dark Reader on Firefox for a while, but I had a major problem with highlighted text. I'm with X-Creamy now. I haven't had an issue with it, and I can see highlighted text. I liked the look of the Hexagonal, but the highlight problem was a deal breaker for me.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:44 am I just went in yesterday to try the Hexagonal. I have used Dark Reader on Firefox for a while, but I had a major problem with highlighted text. I'm with X-Creamy now. I haven't had an issue with it, and I can see highlighted text. I liked the look of the Hexagonal, but the highlight problem was a deal breaker for me.
I started selecting the color of the font as black when highlighting so that it would show up in the dark themes. One example is here:
https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 49#p100549

I realize others may not but I thought I should start.
101010 :towel:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:35 pm I started selecting the color of the font as black when highlighting so that it would show up in the dark themes. One example is here:

And it is VERY much appreciated!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:35 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:44 am I just went in yesterday to try the Hexagonal. I have used Dark Reader on Firefox for a while, but I had a major problem with highlighted text. I'm with X-Creamy now. I haven't had an issue with it, and I can see highlighted text. I liked the look of the Hexagonal, but the highlight problem was a deal breaker for me.
I started selecting the color of the font as black when highlighting so that it would show up in the dark themes. One example is here:

Thanks.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

While you are farting around with themes (I know you are probably sick and tired of by now), could you attempt to figure out a theme with a 'legal pad yellow' background?

There's a lot of lawyers here, how come you all aren't screaming for a yellow legal pad. I'm not a lawyer, I'm a programmer (but I know nothing about phpBB and even less about CSS or whatever is used to set up the themes), and I have ALWAYS, for over 60 years, found yellow legal pads easy on the eyes and easy to read.

Each time I reinstall RAD Studio Delphi, the first thing I do is setup the editor with a yellow background and that is really irritating because there is something like 50 syntax sensitive foreground font colors to set against it.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Keith, look at this and let me know what you think.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... hifikabin/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:54 am Keith, look at this and let me know what you think.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... hifikabin/
Interesting that they suggest yellow for its easy on the eyes effect.

The sample does look a little bright, but they seem to describe a few versions that may be milder.

I wouldnt mind giving it a try, but dont put yourself out just for me.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Today is a good day to do this, I have Dancing with Barbells in an hour, back in a few hours after that.

It's Infrastructure Week, and board styles are infrastructure. That's mah final rulin' on the subject. 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OK, but as you saw, this is supposed to be for people with maculuar vision problems.

There are several different versions of the style included, and there's a specific warning NOT to use one of them if you have anything like normal vision. But that's only one of the versions. I'll leave it to you to select a version that is good on your own personal eyebones.
Edit: Actually, I think I'm just gonna install the base style, save the other versions for later.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well, it's yellow. :lol: Holy crap.

It's kind of clean and simple.

For those who want to try it out, it's Prosilver HiFiKabin on your UCP hit list.

Return to “Announcements”