Joe Biden Gets Lucky Again!

Lani

Re: Joe Biden Gets Lucky Again!

Post by Lani »

Maybe that's why he apologized to Rock today.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

keith wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:08 am
Except it is NOT a disability in any shape or form. It is a condition that she is sensitive about. I dont think she has a need to be sensitive about it, but I am not the one living with it.
Being too short, too tall, too thin, too fat, too many freckles, etc., aren't disabilities in the usual sense, but since humans have a tendency to pick on other humans who do not fit within the 'norms', I can certainly understand her being sensitive about it since she is indeed the one living with the condition. Was her alopecia germaine to what was happening at the Emmys? No? Then why single her out for that?
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I've never been a fan of Jada Pinkett and I can't even explain why. She has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way. However, I think it's fairly certain that a condition that causes the loss of one's hair is probably significantly more traumatic for an actress, where looks are far more important than they are for their male counterparts, than it is for most of the general population. Knowing the existing bad blood between Rock and Smith and the fact that Jada's condition is widely known (and probably universally known within Hollywood) I strongly suspect that Rock's "joke" was malicious in intent. I'll never look at that asshole the same again.

Does any of this excuse Will Smith's Behavior? No. Does it mean that Chris Rock owes Jada Pinkett a sincere apology? You're damn right it does.

(There was a rumor yesterday that Rock had issued an apology but this was apparently a fake and no apology has been issued.)
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I've never been a fan of Jada Pinkett and I can't even explain why.
Same here, Shiz. Further, I think their relationship is one of those can’t live with you/without you things.

My godfather was married 6 times-5 times to the same woman. They ended their days married, living in side-by-side brownstones in NYC. :lol:

I think they’re kinda like that.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:44 pm
I've never been a fan of Jada Pinkett and I can't even explain why.
Same here, Shiz. Further, I think their relationship is one of those can’t live with you/without you things.

My godfather was married 6 times-5 times to the same woman. They ended their days married, living in side-by-side brownstones in NYC. :lol:

I think they’re kinda like that.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan either. According to an interview with Will, they've had an open marriage where both have had outside sexual relationships. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand that.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

There are quasi Smith and Rock Factions on the internet at the moment and both lobbing their propaganda at one another. Its all very silly.

That's how I found this though. Smith has done a lot of demanding people have a sense of humour.

Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I think Will Smith is kind of a jerk and that he definitely shouldn't have received a standing ovation. Anyway.
Bedingfield is asked about Chris Rock and if the White House is doing anything to support comedians being attacked…
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Screw Will Smith for overshadowing real moments like this:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I've been apathetic about the Oscars for years now, but I have graduated into open hatred during the pandemic. Its such a bunch of nothing with overdressed bored people pretending to enjoy themselves. Hell, the audience is probably bored to tears with the whole thing, and for days after it's "Such and such WOWS at the Oscars with (thing that looks like a Towel)"

I rarely have a clue who these people are anymore and I don't care. Its a big hulabaloo about stuff that's voted on by people in old folks homes.
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:28 pm Screw Will Smith for overshadowing real moments like this:
Lady Gaga seems to have come through the kind of extreme fame that often destroys a person with her head still straight on her shoulders and her heart right where it belongs.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:05 pm Its such a bunch of nothing with overdressed bored people pretending to enjoy themselves. Hell, the audience is probably bored to tears with the whole thing, and for days after it's "Such and such WOWS at the Oscars with (thing that looks like a Towel)"
Movie making is still big business in southern California. There are thousands of people behind the scenes of every movie - location logistics, set design, costumes, food service, etc. All of these people watch carefully to see if the films they worked on won. I'm positive that almost all of the people in the auditorium are carefully watching all the people on stage, hoping that it's someone they've worked with.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:05 pm I've been apathetic about the Oscars for years now, but I have graduated into open hatred during the pandemic. Its such a bunch of nothing with overdressed bored people pretending to enjoy themselves. Hell, the audience is probably bored to tears with the whole thing, and for days after it's "Such and such WOWS at the Oscars with (thing that looks like a Towel)"

I rarely have a clue who these people are anymore and I don't care. Its a big hulabaloo about stuff that's voted on by people in old folks homes.
Oh yes, Gods forbid old folks vote on something.

BTW: There ARE quite a number of younger members who vote.

Hate the Oscars all you want - I'm not terribly fond of them myself - but there's no need to slam older people in the process.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Will Smith laughed at first.

There is video-
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Just in case you are interested, from Vanity Fair -

Who Votes for the Oscars, and How Do They Do It?
At this point in awards season, the Academy may loom like a monolith, prepared to deliver its ruling on the best films of the year. But who actually votes for the Oscars? Here is a guide on the people and the processes that determine the year’s Academy Award nominations and winners:

Who votes for the Oscars?

The Academy Awards are voted on by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, a massive group of industry professionals totaling more than 10,000 members, with almost 9,500 eligible to vote. This is a nearly 65% increase from the reported voting membership total a decade ago, thanks in part to the Academy’s initiatives to invite more women, people of color, and filmmakers from around the world.

Who are the Academy members?

If someone has previously been nominated for an Oscar, it’s a safe bet that that person is also in the Academy (though some famous names have declined the invitation). The Academy describes its voting groups as “limited to film artists working in the production of theatrically released motion pictures” and divides membership into 17 branches.

What are the branches?

If it has a category at the Oscars, there is a branch to go with it—with a few exceptions. In addition to Oscar voters with familiar categories such as cinematographers or directors, there are also branches for casting directors, executives, producers, and marketing and public relations, making up 17 branches in total (plus members-at-large who don’t fit into an existing branch). The acting categories are voted on by the branch that is by far the largest, with more than 1,300 members.

How do you become a member?

To become an Academy member, candidates must be sponsored by two existing members of the candidate’s prospective Academy branch. First-time nominees are given automatic membership consideration without sponsorship.
More at the link above.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:22 pm Just in case you are interested, from Vanity Fair -

Who Votes for the Oscars, and How Do They Do It?
Interesting stuff, thanks!
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:56 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:28 pm Screw Will Smith for overshadowing real moments like this:
Lady Gaga seems to have come through the kind of extreme fame that often destroys a person with her head still straight on her shoulders and her heart right where it belongs.
Methinks Tony Bennett had a lot to do with that.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

She's a classically trained singer. That's a pretty good grounding for nailing your feet to the floor, and you deal with older people who have great talent.

And ya I'm sure they are a big deal in the music industry, but the crap that goes around it is annoying

I remember an interview with Micheal Cain on "Parkinson," a British TV chat show with Michael Parkinson, where he called award ceremonies one of the most mind numbing things he ever had to do, and you know damn well that if you so much as yawn 10 cameras will be all over you and you will be all over the papers tomorrow. And he demonstrated his act for when you are nominated and someone else's name is read out, *Clapping, smiling pretending to talk to the person beside you, shaking your head in appreciation at such talent, pleased for the other person* which you have to do while you are all the time thinking, "you utter *****"

*edit* actually, can I just have a throwaway comment without the forum piling on me screaming "HOW DARE YOU!" I know the Oscars are important to California, and blah blah, I just don't want them forced into my space, thanks. I'm voicing my tiny opinion as a critically unimportant member of the Human race, thank you. That's all.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:15 pm Will Smith laughed at first.

There is video-
I saw that, too. It was only when he saw Jada's uncomfortable reaction that he reacted angrily.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wait, so he was really punching himself for laughing at his wife? :rolleye:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I realized at the start of the fogbow meet that some people accused me of trying to destroy the Californian Film indistry. Jesus, people, how much power do you think I have? :rotflmao:
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:58 pm Wait, so he was really punching himself for laughing at his wife? :rolleye:
Maybe he couldn't tell himself and Chris Rock apart? :eek: :lol:
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Will Smith is a piece of garbage and I’ve watched the last work of his I ever will. Same goes for Denzel Washington and the other degenerates that leaped to comfort him.
Will Smith refused to leave the Oscars after slapping Chris Rock, academy says

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Wednesday that Will Smith was asked to leave the Oscars ceremony after he slapped Chris Rock — but Smith refused.
:snippity:
What an entitled asshole, Suranis is right!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... s-refused/
raison de arizona

The video says LAPD was ready to arrest Smith, but Rock refused.
Will Smith resigns from academy for slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars
"I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct."

Will Smith resigned his membership from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars, the actor announced Friday.

The move comes two days after the Academy's Board of Governors announced it is beginning disciplinary procedures against Smith over the incident.

"I have directly responded to the Academy's disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct," Smith said in a statement. "My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable."
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/sm ... d=83821838
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Will Smith resigns from film academy over Chris Rock slap, says he 'betrayed the trust of the academy.'

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”