Robocalls / Robotexts/ other annoying calls/ FCC

esseff44

Re: Robocalls / Robotexts/ other annoying calls/ FCC

Post by esseff44 »

After more that 40 years of straight AT&T telecom services, i am giving up on them. They are pushing everyone onto U-verse and I don't need or want U-verse. :cussing:
se. Comcast B4B (business service) made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Now I will have wireless phones and DSL at 5 times faster speeds, keeping my same phone numbers. They promise 24/7 help from centers in North America....no more India, Philippines. and Caribbean Island detours that end back up in the States after hours of frustration and endless repetition of requests for service often ending with the poor dogs covering their ears. So finally I hope to be able to use Nomorobo and Ooma for blocking annoying calls. The modem is supposed to have a battery backup so that the system still works when the power goes out. We shall see if they deliver all that is promised. I need some advice on how to back up and transfer the saved folders in my two ATT e-mail accounts which will be going away since I will no longer be their customer. Could someone please advise me on the best way to do this. I already have a google e-mail which I haven't used much. The Comcast B4B rep advised me I could also use a regular Yahoo e-mail.

I need to get started working on this so I don't have interruptions of my e-mail service. Please give me the benefit of your collective expertise.

chancery

Post by chancery »

esseff44 wrote:, keeping my same phone numbers.
FCC rules require phone companies to permit customers to "port" their numbers between carriers. It's not a feature that some companies offer and others don't.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

esseff44 wrote:After more that 40 years of straight AT&T telecom services, i am giving up on them. They are pushing everyone onto U-verse and I don't need or want U-verse. :cussing:
..snip..
Could someone please advise me on the best way to do this. I already have a google e-mail which I haven't used much. The Comcast B4B rep advised me I could also use a regular Yahoo e-mail.

I need to get started working on this so I don't have interruptions of my e-mail service. Please give me the benefit of your collective expertise.
If it is Comacast are you sure it is not cable? I have Time Warner Internet and phone and love it. I ported my number over from the telephone company and it works every bit as well. I have had maybe a couple of issues in 3 years. I also have voicemail and I can receive a text on my cell phone any time someone leaves a voice mail at home.

I switched to Gmail and quit using ISP mail when I was on the other ISP. The phone company had terrible email service. You can still use your new Comcast address but set it up to forward your Comcast mail to your Gmail account. You can ususally do that from your email acount on line. Set your reply address as your Comcast address in Gmail. You can also use Gmail with an email program like Outlook or Thunderbird. Just follow the instructions on Gmail to set up the account for your particular Email program. I use IMAP which Gmail supports. That way your email inbox, sent, and other folders are on the server and are synchronized on different PC's, phones, or tablets.

If your existing ATT mail is pop mail just keep that account set up on your email program and you should be able to keep all the emails and folders. You just can't send and receive any new mail from that account.

I hope that's not too confusing.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

Reality Check wrote:Just to update and kick this topic...

I have been on Nomorobo since early June. It is great. All those calls from "Unavailable" ring once and are gone. :towel: A very few get through like a local satellite TV provider but he was a real person.
I tried signing up for Nomorobo. Unfortunately, I am on Verizon FIOS, and there is no way to make Nomorobo work with FIOS. Verizon has some other kind of phone service which would work, but it's not available in my area, and Verizon won't say if/when they will provide it here.

Have I mentioned how much I love Verizon? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

wavey davey wrote: Verizon has some other kind of phone service which would work, but it's not available in my area, and Verizon won't say if/when they will provide it here.
The key is that the phone provider has to offer the option to ring a second number. You set the second number to the one you get from Nomorobo. When a robo call comes in it picks up after one ring and hangs up.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I've been getting a lot of calls from computers that sound a lot like real people. The call will start, "hi, is this Maybenaut?" And I'll say yes, but there's just something about the quality of the conversation that tells me it's not a real person on the other end. And if you ask whether this is real person, you'll get this pre-recorded laugh and a response along the lines of, "Oh, ha, ha, ha, I know why you would think that, but let me assure you I am a real person." But they're so not a real person. So I've been toying with them. I'll ask, "do you have a dog?" And they'll respond, "no." And then they'll go on with their spiel. And I'll say, "Really? What kind of dog do you have?" But instead of saying, "look, I just said I don't have a dog," they'll go on with, "OK, the reason I was calling is…" And I just stick to the dog script, and eventually they just hang up. (If it'a real live caller I say, "Oh, you want to talk to Maybenaut? Hang on a sec." And I put the phone down and walk away (I feel no guilt about wasting a person's time who has no problem wasting mine).
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Taverl

Post by Taverl »

esseff44 wrote:After more that 40 years of straight AT&T telecom services, i am giving up on them. They are pushing everyone onto U-verse and I don't need or want U-verse. :cussing:
se. Comcast B4B (business service) made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Now I will have wireless phones and DSL at 5 times faster speeds, keeping my same phone numbers. They promise 24/7 help from centers in North America....no more India, Philippines. and Caribbean Island detours that end back up in the States after hours of frustration and endless repetition of requests for service often ending with the poor dogs covering their ears. So finally I hope to be able to use Nomorobo and Ooma for blocking annoying calls. The modem is supposed to have a battery backup so that the system still works when the power goes out. We shall see if they deliver all that is promised. I need some advice on how to back up and transfer the saved folders in my two ATT e-mail accounts which will be going away since I will no longer be their customer. Could someone please advise me on the best way to do this. I already have a google e-mail which I haven't used much. The Comcast B4B rep advised me I could also use a regular Yahoo e-mail.

I've had the Comcast "Triple Play" (cable, internet, phone) for several years and the internet speeds are good and service pretty consistent. The couple of times I've had to have a tech come out, they've been on time or early and were able to fix the problem pretty promptly. My modem is huge and comes with built-in wireless, but I have a separate router since I prefer to not have everything in one box because when one thing goes wrong, it all seems to go wrong.

It's crazy that SF, the heart of the tech industry, doesn't have more buildings with fiber optic. My brother in Sacramento has had it for several years and it's screaming fast, but in my apartment building, the choices are either DSL or Comcast.

Ah, monopolies... ;)

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I had Comcast back about a dozen years ago when it was the only cable service in Bethesda, Md. When/where it was a monopoly, service was slow, rates were high, and repair visits were as unreliable as a drug addict. And then Verizon came to town, and suddenly the rates went down, service improved, repairmen showed up when promised.

Now I have retired to Dullerwhere and one company is the only broker for cable/internet/phone, and quality sucks again.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Here's the rub. AT&T wants everybody on U-verse which is fiber optic and is fine for those who have fiber optic to the house or apt. building. But the older houses still have the copper wires to the house and that limits what can be carried through the lines. My current DSL is limited to 3Mps but they still have the capacity for 6Mps but the rep said they can't offer it any longer. If you want faster that 3Mps, it's U-verse or nothing. They will eventrually migrate everyone over to U-verse whether they like it or not ....or whether they can benefit from it or not. Also, AT&T has all kinds of restrictions on how much data you can use and also at different times, when a lot of people are on line at once, it slows down considerably.

I am not getting cable TV..just traditional phones..princess style with no electrical connections to worry about in an outage and DSL 15-16 Mps. There is a considerable reduction in costs for 6 months and then goes to what I am paying. But the new package has all sorts of extras such one's own website to build and domain names...etc. Plus, all their call centers for business are in North American....no around the world tours to get to someone who can help with issues. I will not miss the hours spent being insulted by sadistic reps in India, and reluctant in other places who just hang up if it's not a routine matter or if you ask for a supervisor of to be transferred back to the US.....all to fix some fairly simply problem or resolve an unusual issue that they have not been trained in or if they have, they don't care to remember or to find out. They just hand you off to another person with a worse accent who ask the same stupid irrelavent questions.

Maybe I got sold a pig in a poke and it will be worse....in which case I will just have to pull the plug on telecommunications and go back to smoke signals and carrier pigeons.

http://www.comcastbusinessoffers.com/in ... iness.html

I had Outlook at one time but that was when I did not know anything about the different kinds of e-mail. Am I to understand that ATT will still let me keep my archived e-mails but just not get or sent new ones? Is there a way to send them all to Outlook or One-note or copy to the g-mail account?

ETA: I am worried I will get locked out of my two AT&T e-mail accounts. The first one is a legacy account from when SBC/Pac Bell bought up the old ATT and I was forced to migrate and get a new e-mail account with SBC Yahoo! even though it does not have yahoo! in the address.

And I have never understood the difference between POP and IMAP.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I had AT&T for email for years, still do in fact. I have since had my email changed to their free email account, only difference is that I no longer get customer service with it, which in reality is no different than what it has been the last few years. I wouldn't even have maintained it except that I've had that email literally forever, and too many people know and use it. I've been on the free account going on three months now and have had no problems. I just learned NOT to expect anything but irritation from them over the last few years and when they went to their latest bit of irritation I wasn't surprised. You should be able to keep your old accounts. You will regrettably need to call customer service to get it done, which will be the usual fun filled experience.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

I've had Comcast cable for years and I just got the Triple Play when we moved to our new apartment in early February. With Comcast I've never gotten anything other than US based service reps. Maybe that's because I live in the Philly 'burbs which is literally their backyard. And I've found them to be far more reliable than Verizon. Verizon service says they wil be out anytime from 8 until 5 and then they show up at 6 PM (after you've wasted a whole vacation day sitting at home waiting for them). Comcast usually gives 2 to 4 hour windows and I've never had them show up late. They'll also come out on Sunday. Try to get Verizon to do that.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Notorial Dissent wrote:I had AT&T for email for years, still do in fact. I have since had my email changed to their free email account, only difference is that I no longer get customer service with it, which in reality is no different than what it has been the last few years. I wouldn't even have maintained it except that I've had that email literally forever, and too many people know and use it. I've been on the free account going on three months now and have had no problems. I just learned NOT to expect anything but irritation from them over the last few years and when they went to their latest bit of irritation I wasn't surprised. You should be able to keep your old accounts. You will regrettably need to call customer service to get it done, which will be the usual fun filled experience.
Very good to know. I did call ATT this morning and ask about my long-term e-mail accounts. The agent was very helpful and told me I could keep them as long as I was careful to pay my final ATT bills. Since I have had the billing on autopay to an ATT universal credit card for many years, that no problem. That last little bill after the 'final' bill catches a lot of people unawares just like it does with the bank interest on interest carried over..

I decided I would keep one ATT analog basic phone line active for back up and redundancy. It's my overly-cautious nature to expect all the cells and fiber optics to go dead in a disaster such as a major earthquake. A non-electricity dependent, copper-wired landline is a good thing to have, plus I can still have an ATT profile with my 40 year-history of loyalty.

Actually, they did put me over to a nice lady in Missouri who assured me that as long as I logged in to the e-mail at leas, once month,Icould keep using the two addresses (since they are Yahoo! anyway) and parceled out by SBCYahoo! which used the ATT logo and name. Naturally, the nice 'loyalty' department lady was very helpful and also made me all kinds of offers to try and get me to come back. So, I said I will see how I am treated by Comcast business services and if it's no better, I would be calling her back on the direct line phone number she gave me for existing customers.
so, we shall see. I think it might be worth to keep one of the old numbers ATT or get another one on the old copper wire line. I like analog much better anyway. Digital gives me a headache if I am on the phone more than a few minutes. It tires out the brain on the opposite side from whatever ear I am getting the difital signal into. The brain works on analog and has to work harder to makes sense of digital signals.

Now I have to figure out what to do wiht my saved messages and folders on my main line and are recording on the Unified Messaging website.

Mon dieu! It is such a hassle to change providers. But it is

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

esseff44 wrote:Mon dieu! It is such a hassle to change providers. But it is
True. Glad you can save your emails. Good luck with the change. I was in DSL hell with Windstream for about a six months and never want to repeat that again. I was supposed to get 3 MB down and in the busy parts of the day was getting less that dialup speeds. Since I switched to TW I got 15 MB and later upgraded to 20 MB and nearly always get at least that on speed tests.

Back in the day when I had two teenagers at home we had some royal battles over who got to use the one computer with the dial up connection. I finally had enough of it, wired the house for Ethernet, and bought a 10 MB switch. I used Internet Connection Sharing in Windows 98 to share a dialup connection. I got a second phone line and stayed logged on 24/7. I am surprised the ISP didn't kick me off for doing that. The kids were mostly using ICQ and AOL for chat so it didn't load down the connection too badly.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

esseff, glad that resolved so amicably. My experiences with AT&T have been anything but amicable, but the only thing I had them for was email. I will say that a good friend of mine has them for wireless and has had for several years and is delirious with them and their customer service to date has been excellent, but then they don't actually have to come out and do anything with it, and they are making lots of money off it regardless of what plan you have, unlike the hardwired stuff that they actually have to like maintain and service and such. My big concern with their current service, is that everything they are providing is dependent on their local hubs staying functioning, and there being power available, which means in an emergency, like when the power is out, you are SOL.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Notorial Dissent wrote:My big concern with their current service, is that everything they are providing is dependent on their local hubs staying functioning, and there being power available, which means in an emergency, like when the power is out, you are SOL.
Some cable providers are now issuing routers with built-in battery backups for this reason. The battery is good for a couple of hours to cover brief power outages. Another option is to purchase an uninterruptible power supply or UPS, and connect the router to it. When the power goes out, the UPS kicks in and maintains power for as long as its rated capacity (and your usage) permits.
I've heard this bull before.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

DejaMoo wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:My big concern with their current service, is that everything they are providing is dependent on their local hubs staying functioning, and there being power available, which means in an emergency, like when the power is out, you are SOL.
Some cable providers are now issuing routers with built-in battery backups for this reason. The battery is good for a couple of hours to cover brief power outages. Another option is to purchase an uninterruptible power supply or UPS, and connect the router to it. When the power goes out, the UPS kicks in and maintains power for as long as its rated capacity (and your usage) permits.
or you can stand to listen to the beep when you can't figure out how to turn it off and don't want to kill the whole system :roll: :roll:
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

SueDB wrote:
DejaMoo wrote:
or you can stand to listen to the beep when you can't figure out how to turn it off and don't want to kill the whole system :roll: :roll:
That's why I have the UPS and router in one room, and use wireless devices when the power goes out. I can use my tablet or laptop anywhere (especially necessary in hot summer months when sweltering outside is better than melting inside).

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Planet Money Episode 789: Robocall Invasion
There are now a billion robocalls going to cellphones and landlines every month. Many of them look like they're from your neighbor.

It's not really your neighbor, of course. It's neighbor spoofing—which means using the internet to make it look like a scammer (who could be anywhere in the world) is calling from your area.When we asked our listeners if it's been happening to them... right away, we got about a thousand responses.

We know the basics: Scammers are impersonating nearby numbers. But why is it suddenly so popular? Who is on the other end of the line? And can they be stopped?

We talk to anti-spam specialists, the head of the FCC, and, scariest of all, we pick up the phone and talk back to the scammers.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 pm

It's not really your neighbor, of course. It's neighbor spoofing—which means using the internet to make it look like a scammer (who could be anywhere in the world) is calling from your area.When we asked our listeners if it's been happening to them... right away, we got about a thousand responses.
In my case, it is bad enough that I never answer calls from my own area code now. I get pretty much zero legitimate calls from my own neighborhood.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

neeneko wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:14 pm
DejaMoo wrote:

In my case, it is bad enough that I never answer calls from my own area code now. I get pretty much zero legitimate calls from my own neighborhood.
They're not just spoofing the area code, either, they're also using your 3-digit number prefix, too, thus further narrowing it down to a comparatively small geographic area.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

DejaMoo wrote:
Planet Money Episode 789: Robocall Invasion
There are now a billion robocalls going to cellphones and landlines every month. Many of them look like they're from your neighbor.

We know the basics: Scammers are impersonating nearby numbers. But why is it suddenly so popular? Who is on the other end of the line? And can they be stopped?

We talk to anti-spam specialists, the head of the FCC, and, scariest of all, we pick up the phone and talk back to the scammers.
It's a problem that comes with the transition to IP Telephony, eg internet based telephony. With traditional fixed line based telephony the carrier would enforce the correct caller ID (or suppress it at subscribers choice). With the IP phones the owner of the adapter box programs that number by himself and has the opportunity to spoof it. With the side effect that the receipient of the call gets a fake name display if he has directory lookup installed. I have it on good authority that Orly Taitz once received a phone call at court with the White House number showing :-

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:22 pm
neeneko wrote:
DejaMoo wrote:

They're not just spoofing the area code, either, they're also using your 3-digit number prefix, too, thus further narrowing it down to a comparatively small geographic area.
They are spoofing any full phone number. The new twist is obviously that the spammers are looking for a "trusted caller" of sorts. I couple of months ago I was wondering why I was getting a call from a municipality administration, not the local one, but from a village in a different canton (aka state) alltogether.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I use the Hiya app on my iPhone.

If you set it up it will kick all those calls into your voice mail. Since none of them actually leave a message, it's as good as a block.

I highly recommend it, you just have to allow it to block calls and texts from your phone settings panel, then you have to tell the app what you want blocked using the app settings.

Try it.

Also, if a call does get through, you can copy the number to the app and it will ID it for you and you can decide to block it or not.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I never have understood why the spammers will spoof my own phone number to call me. I don't talk to myself.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

neeneko wrote:
DejaMoo wrote:

Hiya.

Try it. It helps.

Return to “The Lounge”