Sanctions and Support

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Sanctions and Support

Post by raison de arizona »

Clinton and Bush, together again.
Bill Clinton @BillClinton wrote: America stands united with the people of Ukraine in their fight for freedom and against oppression.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:28 pm I'd like to get a full transcript of his remarks if anyone runs across it.
The Vatican website is tricky to navigate, in that it does not have a search function, but I found it for you.

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesc ... ionis.html

For anything to do with the words of the Holy Father, this is the page to look. it has everything on the left column. The above was under "Speeches."

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en.html
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:56 pm Clinton and Bush, together again.
Bill Clinton @BillClinton wrote: America stands united with the people of Ukraine in their fight for freedom and against oppression.
And nobody got tear gassed!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Suranis wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:12 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:28 pm I'd like to get a full transcript of his remarks if anyone runs across it.
The Vatican website is tricky to navigate, in that it does not have a search function, but I found it for you.

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesc ... ionis.html

For anything to do with the words of the Holy Father, this is the page to look. it has everything on the left column. The above was under "Speeches."

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en.html
Thank you for that, much of it spoke to me.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Nestle takes a hit from Anonymous. Not sure what all is in there.
Anonymous @LatestAnonPress wrote: BREAKING NEWS: Hacker group Anonymous has released 10 GB of data from Swiss company Nestlé. This is the collective's retaliation for continuing the company's business in Russia.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Nestle is an evil company.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And their chocolate sucks.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Absolutely!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pm Nestle is an evil company.
For those that don't know: Every Parent Should Know The Scandalous History Of Infant Formula
https://www.businessinsider.com/nestles ... dal-2012-6

Mortality from Nestlé’s Marketing of Infant Formula in Low and Middle-Income Countries
https://www.nber.org/papers/w24452
Intensive and controversial marketing of infant formula is believed to be responsible for millions of infant deaths in low and middle-income countries (LMICs), yet to date there have been no rigorous analyses that quantify these effects. To estimate the impact of infant formula on infant mortality, we pair country-specific data from the annual corporate reports of Nestlé, the largest producer of infant formula, with a sample of 2.48 million births in 46 LMICs from 1970-2011. Our key finding is that the availability of formula increased infant mortality by 9.4 per 1000 births, 95%CI [3.6, 15.6] among mothers without access to clean water, suggesting that unclean water acted as a vector for the transmission of water-borne pathogens to infants. We estimate that the availability of formula in LIMCs resulted in approximately 66,000 infant deaths in 1981 at the peak of the infant formula controversy.
U.S. was wrong to block the U.N. resolution on breast-feeding.
https://www.startribune.com/the-u-s-was ... 488059951/
The U.S. has become a bully on the world stage over, of all things, breast-feeding. In a development that shocked many, the U.S. delegation to the World Health Assembly attempted to shut down what should have been a relatively benign resolution to “protect, promote and support” the practice of breast-feeding.

Why would the U.S. do such a thing? Unfortunately, the apparent answer is as simple as it is crass. Instead of standing up for the health of babies and children around the world, this country’s delegation stood up for the interests of corporate manufacturers of infant formula. Another passage in the resolution would have urged restrictions on the promotion of food products that can be used as substitutes for breast milk.

A U.S. Health and Human Services spokesperson later said the resolution “placed unnecessary hurdles for mothers seeking to provide nutrition for their children.” That is a specious argument that ignores the very real fact that in many low-income countries, the lack of clean water can make infant formula a dangerous choice. The National Bureau of Economic Research earlier this year found that the availability of formula in low- and middle-income countries over 40 years raised infant mortality, “suggesting that unclean water acted as a vector for the transmission of waterborne pathogens to infants.”
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:42 am Another way to support a real person. Marina, the artist, is a personal friend of a friend and has added digital prints to her etsy shop and is using her income to buy supplies.
I'll let her explain in her own words.
This is the link to the Etsy shop of my Ukraine friend, Marina. https://www.etsy.com/shop/DragonflyEarringsRV I purchased some digital products and the process was painless. I will let her words explain....
"🇺🇦 Friends! My big awesome family!🇺🇦
Today was a hard day but you overwhelmed me with your kindness and all your words. :snippity:
I loved her bead work and bought the hibiscus earrings for my kinda sorta daughter in law on 3/9. Amazingly, the package arrived in Honolulu today and will reach me tomorrow. Only 17 days to reach me. :o If they didn't arrive, I planned to buy some of her digital art for the same amount. Anyway, I was so happy, I bought beautiful earrings for me, too.

If you haven't looked at her Etsy market, here are photos of the earrings.
Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 19-26-48 il_1140xN.3671324722_m3g6.jpg (WEBP Image 1140 × 1518 pixels) — Scaled (40%).png
Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 19-26-48 il_1140xN.3671324722_m3g6.jpg (WEBP Image 1140 × 1518 pixels) — Scaled (40%).png (240.61 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 18-54-16 Seven Chakras With Lotus Beaded Earrings.png
Screenshot 2022-03-25 at 18-54-16 Seven Chakras With Lotus Beaded Earrings.png (192.32 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Thank you, Sugar!!!!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Those lotus earrings are gorgeous!
And Marina thanks you.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lani

Post by Lani »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:05 am Those lotus earrings are gorgeous!
And Marina thanks you.
We're chatting a bit.

I'll be moving to a small condo soon. I looked at ebay and other websites for selling off my stuff. They are doing next to nothing to support Ukraine. Thank goodness for etsy! Since I am technically antique or vintage, I'll raise some more money for her.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:54 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:05 am Those lotus earrings are gorgeous!
And Marina thanks you.
We're chatting a bit.

I'll be moving to a small condo soon. I looked at ebay and other websites for selling off my stuff. They are doing next to nothing to support Ukraine. Thank goodness for etsy! Since I am technically antique or vintage, I'll raise some more money for her.
Please tell her our connection is through my friend John Dachik.
Lani

Post by Lani »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:30 am
Lani wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:54 am
And Marina thanks you.
We're chatting a bit.

Please tell her our connection is through my friend John Dachik.
Will do. Just heard from her again.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

A bit of a tangent, but a good discussion on Germany's re-armament:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Uh oh.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Come on Japan, you sunk the entire Russian navy once. Time to do it again.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”