SCOTUS

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: SCOTUS

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-su ... li=BBnb7Kz
(Reuters) -The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday agreed to resolve a dispute over the legality of decades-old federal requirements that give Native American families priority to adopt Native American children in a challenge pursued by a group of non-Native adoptive families and the state of Texas.

The justices will review lower court decisions that declared several key parts of the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978 unconstitutional. President Joe Biden's administration and several Native American tribes are defending the law, which aims to reinforce tribal connections by placing Native American children with relatives or within their communities.

The U.S. Congress passed the 1978 law in response to concern over child welfare practices that had resulted in the separation of large numbers of Native American children from their families through adoption or foster placement, usually in non-Native American homes. Tribes and Native American advocacy groups have maintained that the child welfare law helps preserve their culture and family connections.

The law set federal standards for removing children from their families and placing them for foster care or adoption, including requiring that "preference" be given to members of a child's extended family, other tribe members or "other Indian families."
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Damn. What a mean spirited hill to die on. With an adoption system overburdened with children needing homes, they are bothering to complain that there is a tiny number that they do not have preferential access to?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

neeneko wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:39 pm Damn. What a mean spirited hill to die on. With an adoption system overburdened with children needing homes, they are bothering to complain that there is a tiny number that they do not have preferential access to?
I mean, can't the Native American adoption agencies legally discriminate on faith-based grounds in Texas now? "I'm sorry, but we don't serve families who aren't enrolled actively in a recognized Native American church." I know we don't want ANYONE to discriminate that way, but sauce, goose, gander.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:50 pm I mean, can't the Native American adoption agencies legally discriminate on faith-based grounds in Texas now? "I'm sorry, but we don't serve families who aren't enrolled actively in a recognized Native American church." I know we don't want ANYONE to discriminate that way, but sauce, goose, gander.
Sadly, this is probably why they are fighting it. As I understand the law, it applies to all adoption agencies, meaning an evangelical christian agency would be *clutches pearls* forced to give preference to non christians!
bob

Post by bob »

This dovetails with studies that showing women and POC (and WOC, especially) are asked at higher frequencies to "show their papers." In other words, competence for certain people isn't presumed.

"For the record," Jackson is a double Harvard grad.

(And, to steal a joke from the bird site: at least Carlson didn't ask for her birth certificate.)
Image ImageImage
tek

Post by tek »

Apparently Tucky has no idea what the LSAT is.

it is an ADMISSIONS test. Not the law school final exam.
And as an ADMISSIONS test, it is but one factor in the law school admissions process.

too also, from Wikipedia:
After college, Carlson tried to join the Central Intelligence Agency, but his application was denied, after which he decided to pursue a career in journalism with the encouragement of his father, who advised him that "they'll take anybody."
:batting:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

That may actually be the point. "She only got in because she was Black" is a dog whistle for "a more qualified white man was denied entry becuase of Affirmative Action."

ETA: I haven't watched the clip, so I may have missed something
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

87C874EA-11D6-409E-B533-F502DCE4EF59.png
87C874EA-11D6-409E-B533-F502DCE4EF59.png (506.07 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Giggle
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I won't say it, but you can't stop me from thinking it.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:silenced:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Pretty sure everyone is thinking it, one way or another.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:50 pm I won't say it, but you can't stop me from thinking it.
I 2nd that
Lani

Post by Lani »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:43 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:50 pm I won't say it, but you can't stop me from thinking it.
I 2nd that
Me, too.....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm not going to hold my breath.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

CNN: Justice Clarence Thomas hospitalized 'after experiencing flu-like symptoms':
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was admitted to Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, DC, on Friday evening "after experiencing flu-like symptoms," the court's public information office said Sunday evening, but he does not have Covid-19.

"It is not COVID related. The Justice does not have COVID," a spokesperson for the Supreme Court said.

Thomas' hospitalization comes as the justices, all of whom are vaccinated and boosted against Covid-19, are expected to take the bench Monday morning for arguments. Thomas will not participate remotely in oral arguments over the telephone Monday, according to the Supreme Court spokesperson. After years of near total silence from the bench, Thomas now regularly asks the first questions at oral arguments.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

Asked of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson:
Blackburn: Is it your personal hidden agenda to incorporate CRT into our legal system?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's disgusting. I missed that. :mad:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Speaking of Blackburn:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... 7ee8eed175
At first blush, the fact that Sen. Marsha Blackburn released a video statement over the weekend, criticizing Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, may not seem interesting. After all, the Tennessee Republican has earned a reputation as one of the Senate’s most reflexive far-right partisans. The idea that Blackburn would even consider supporting a Supreme Court nominee from President Joe Biden is difficult to take seriously.

With this in mind, much of the GOP senator’s statement was forgettable, including Blackburn’s claim that she was “shocked” when Jackson said in writing that she doesn’t have a judicial philosophy, per se. But in the same video, the Tennessean, reading carefully from a teleprompter, eventually said something genuinely interesting:

“Constitutionally unsound rulings like Griswold v. Connecticut, Kelo v. City of New London, and NFIB v. Sebelius confuse Tennesseans and leave Congress wondering who gave the court permission to bypass our system of checks and balances.”

The rhetoric came less than a month after Republican candidates for state attorney general in Michigan also denounced the Griswold v. Connecticut precedent.

Circling back to our earlier coverage, Griswold was a landmark case in modern American history. In 1965, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 7-to-2 ruling, struck down a Connecticut law that restricted married couples’ access to birth control. The court majority said such statutes are impermissible because they violate Americans’ right to privacy.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

They're really trying to relitigate same sex marriage...
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:12 pm They're really trying to relitigate same sex marriage...
Cornyn tries mightily to get Jackson to state that she supports abridging constitutional rights when they conflict with sincerely held religious beliefs, i.e. the Supreme Court finding that same sex marriage is a constitutional right should not prevent a state from restricting that right based on sincerely held religious beliefs, since freedom of religion is in the first amendment and marriage isn't even in the constitution. Per se. If he had A TENTH of a brain he might realize the huge door that would open up for all sorts of nonsense, but of course he doesn't.

this:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: the thing you have to remember as you watch Republicans have performative tantrums during Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation hearing is that they're trying to craft perfect 20-second clips of owning libs for Fox News. it all makes so much more sense when you keep this in mind.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I had to run out for a bit, but I saw the bit by Cornyn. He can't wait for the SC to overturn Roe v Wade, whether the voters want it or not. That really made me angry. :sick:
raison de arizona

Ted Cruz is a pitiful excuse for a United States Senator, and for a human being as well. I would post a clip of his questioning of Jackson, but everything that came out of his mouth was so messed up I don't even know which one(s) to go with.

He's garbage.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”