Ukraine

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Ukraine

Post by raison de arizona »

Neil Hauer @NeilPHauer wrote: Receptionist at Odessa hotel, talking to a potential guest on the phone: "yes, the beach is open, but it's mined now, so better not to go there"
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

On the other hand. If you are into collecting shells....
raison de arizona

:rimshot:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Why is the media so careful to use "Kyiv" instead of "Kiev" and yet they use "Odessa" instead of "Odesa" most of the time?
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:07 pm Why is the media so careful to use "Kyiv" instead of "Kiev" and yet they use "Odessa" instead of "Odesa" most of the time?
I was wondering the same thing.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:08 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:07 pm Why is the media so careful to use "Kyiv" instead of "Kiev" and yet they use "Odessa" instead of "Odesa" most of the time?
I was wondering the same thing.
Ignorance.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I did some light reading on Russian history today. It goes back about 1,000 years (more, of course, but as heading into being Russia, that's sort of close). I'd like to read more of it as it looked interesting, but I did note that Kiev (the way it was spelled in the article) was once the capital of Russia, one of six.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

DEMONSTRATION OF HARMONY: Opera singers gather in the center of Lviv, western Ukraine, for a stirring rendition of the country’s national anthem.
raison de arizona

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My broken heart
:crying: :crying:
raison de arizona

Caught my 9yo watching Ukraine war videos on YouTube, he said to me, "I'm lucky I was born in America, aren't I?"

Any way, there but for the grace of god...

Inna Sovsun @InnaSovsun wrote: A month ago I had my life. I had my job, which was frustrating sometimes, but I loved the things I got done. I watched movies with my son and boyfriend. I cooked dinner or we ordered pizza. Went running. Now I wake up to explosions in my city at 5 in the morning.
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

:crying:
Olena Halushka @OlenaHalushka wrote: For 5 days parents have been trying to find their son Sasha. He stayed with his granny in Vyshgorod near Kyiv. After the russian attack, they tried to evacuate by boat on the Kyiv Reservoir. The kid`s granny was found dead. Parents are not losing hope to find their child alive
raison de arizona

Kyiv
2DF0FBB8-DA66-4D45-8E41-A307ECF73330.jpeg
2DF0FBB8-DA66-4D45-8E41-A307ECF73330.jpeg (156.05 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

(did you notice the blue and yellow ribbons in her hair?)

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

9AM EASTERN: WATCH LIVE: Zelensky to deliver virtual address to U.S. Congress
Scheduled for Mar 16, 2022

WaPo is covering and has reporters on before the address:

He won the 1st season of Dancing With The Stars and is the voice of Paddington Bear.

Question since Fogbow members know so much: Why is his name spelled Zelensky in some places, and Zelenskyy in others? Is one more correct?
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neeneko wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:19 am Damn.
I am thinking back to that 'defect and get amnesty plus a cash prize' that the Ukrainian government is offering to Russian soldiers.

Offering tax free salvage of military equipment might entice American fighters.
But probably not the kind of people we would want to bring it home.
raison de arizona

orlylicious wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:23 am Question since Fogbow members know so much: Why is his name spelled Zelensky in some places, and Zelenskyy in others? Is one more correct?
It’s transliterated since Ukraine doesn’t use the same alphabet. The correct spelling is: Зеленський :mrgreen: If you follow the US Library of Congress Romanisation tables letter by letter, you get Zelenskyy. That’s what is on his passport.

That said, double y really isn’t a thing in English, hence most news organizations dropping it. Which is fine, as you can see. Zelenskyy, Zelensky, Zelenskiy, none is really incorrect.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I think this is the first time I've ever seen him speak in English. Powerful words but congress will ignore them.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Thank you, RDA!

After the Video, he spoke in English and that was powerful. He spoke some English on his TV show Servant of the People. It's still so remarkable to watch that TV comedy show and then see him doing it in the real world. The convergence of politics and entertainment is complete.

Speaking of...

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Why would we put the focus (oxygen) on what tfg has to say in this moment?
Luke

Post by Luke »

Neon, that was the point, Maggie didn't repeat what he said and I didn't either. We're all in agreement. :P
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Frankly, PratUS sending out a statement should be ignored as much as his words should be. Who cares?
Hic sunt dracones
tencats

Post by tencats »

Russian Invasion Documented In Don Winslow’s ‘Hardest Video’ Ever

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Given how long it took to switch from Kiev to Kyiv, I'm not surprised they haven't gotten "Odesa" figured out yet...
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:28 pm

DEMONSTRATION OF HARMONY: Opera singers gather in the center of Lviv, western Ukraine, for a stirring rendition of the country’s national anthem.
Absolutely beautiful. But, wow, I thought WE had a long anthem!! LOL :)

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”