Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Infrastructure & Build Back Better Package - Senate Reconciliation #2: $3.5 trillion "Human" Pkg

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Infrastructure & Build Back Better Package - Senate Reconciliation #2: $3.5 trillion "Human" Pkg

Post by AndyinPA »

Now that's scary. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Re: Infrastructure & Build Back Better Package - Senate Reconciliation #2: $3.5 trillion "Human" Pkg

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:53 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:09 pm Here's an engineering reconstruction of what might have happened. Not terribly for off from what I described, but the collapse started at the far end and the near end supports didn't collapse, which is why the road buckled like it did.

Why wouldn’t the cross brace have been replaced? Seems that would be a significant weakening factor.
Looking at the photo of the cross-beam where it had torn away, it looks like they may have put in a temporary steel rod while the replacement steel was being fabricated.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:18 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:53 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:09 pm Here's an engineering reconstruction of what might have happened. Not terribly for off from what I described, but the collapse started at the far end and the near end supports didn't collapse, which is why the road buckled like it did.

Why wouldn’t the cross brace have been replaced? Seems that would be a significant weakening factor.
Looking at the photo of the cross-beam where it had torn away, it looks like they may have put in a temporary steel rod while the replacement steel was being fabricated.
I’m not seeing that (too blurry for me), but the cross brace failed in 2018. It should have been replaced by 2022.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Yes, I see what looks like a tie rod in that photo. But this Google street view from Dec 2020 shows nothing. I'm sure questions are being asked...

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4394337 ... 760!8i2880
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We also do bridge work here, when the republicans can't get their hands on the money.

https://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/wher ... rs.+Feb.+3
The Roberto Clemente Bridge — which connects Downtown with the North Side and PNC Park — opened in 1928 and carries 7,895 vehicles daily across the Allegheny River. It’s one of the three Sister Bridges, along with the Andy Warhol and Rachel Carson — the only trio of identical bridges in the world and the first self-anchored suspension bridges in the United States.

The restoration project will include repairs to the structural steel, repairs to the concrete/masonry substructure, replacement of the concrete deck and sidewalks, replacement of the expansion dams, refurbishment of the pylons, repairs to the stairs on the Downtown side, improvements to drainage, repainting of the bridge and handrails Aztec Gold, replacement of the navigational lighting, replacement of the street lighting to resemble its original appearance from the 1920s, replacement of the electric and gas utility lines under the bridge and and replacement of the delineator posts used to separate the bicycle lanes from the vehicle lanes.

Additionally, cleaning of the exposed masonry surfaces on the Roberto Clemente, Andy Warhol and Rachel Carson Bridges will be done along with placement of rock scour protection around the Roberto Clemente Bridge and Rachel Carson Bridge piers in the Allegheny River. The handrails on the bridge side of Fort Duquesne Boulevard will be repainted Aztec Gold, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX) just emailed his constituents touting an infrastructure project in his district he was “instrumental in getting” funded.

The project is in fact funded by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which he opposed in vitriolic terms and voted against.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

There will be lots of that going on. Probably already is.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:11 pm Image

They removed the bus yesterday. Lots of people turned out to watch.
That's a seriously cool-looking crane. I don't know much about these things beyond watching cranes at a construction site next door to my day job and that one major player is up in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, which is where I go to catch the SS Badger ferry that goes to Ludington, Michigan (which just had it's 5-year inspection and a new shiny paint job).

I wonder if the job of one of the other cranes was to lift the counterweights onto the big crane. A crane for a crane.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.wtae.com/article/port-autho ... w/38951684
The 400-ton crane is their largest piece of equipment and was built on site at the bridge collapse. It lifted the bus up by straps underneath it.

"What you saw was cool and neat, but it took a lot to get there," Pyros said.

He said they logged about 50 hours on the Fern Hollow job.

"I've seen a lot of collapse and destruction," Pyros said. "Not with a bus pinned inside. Cars, trucks, but a little bit different with the bus. It was kind of neat."
Better view:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022/02 ... rk-ravine/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

northland10 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:12 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:11 pm

They removed the bus yesterday. Lots of people turned out to watch.
That's a seriously cool-looking crane. I don't know much about these things beyond watching cranes at a construction site next door to my day job and that one major player is up in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, which is where I go to catch the SS Badger ferry that goes to Ludington, Michigan (which just had it's 5-year inspection and a new shiny paint job).

I wonder if the job of one of the other cranes was to lift the counterweights onto the big crane. A crane for a crane.
My guess is that your guess is correct. At this size a crane requires assistance itself. the weights travel on a sepaerate lowbed. I assume that those outrigers were also helped into place. The bus was likely a lightweight for this crane. Similar cranes lift whole airplanes on airports after mishaps. Or iron and cement sections of bridges.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:23 pm My guess is that your guess is correct. At this size a crane requires assistance itself. the weights travel on a sepaerate lowbed. I assume that those outrigers were also helped into place. The bus was likely a lightweight for this crane. Similar cranes lift whole airplanes on airports after mishaps. Or iron and cement sections of bridges.
I suspect in some cases, the larger size but lighter load can create some challenges. The increased surface area but without the increased weight you would have on large pieces of steel or concrete makes it more subject to wind and swaying.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022/03 ... enderings/

They are starting on the new bridge next month! It should be finished next year. The site has already been cleared and ready to begin.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Infrastructure & Build Back Better Package - Senate Reconciliation #2: $3.5 trillion "Human" Pkg

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3F9o2Ca

Gifted article:
For many years, going to the airport in the United States has meant trudging through dark and low-ceilinged terminals, crowding in dreary security checkpoints and throwing elbows to secure one of the few power outlets at the gate.

“A bus depot is not a great way to describe it, but that’s kind of the methodology that a lot of American passengers saw,” said Ty Osbaugh, an architect who helps lead the aviation practice at the architecture firm Gensler.

Airports built in the 20th century were largely designed to get customers in, out and through as quickly as possible. They didn’t account for the high volume of passengers we see today or the logistical demands the age of Homeland Security would create. According to the trade group Airports Council International-North America, the average airport terminal in the United States is more than 40 years old.

That’s not the case overseas, where some of the world’s grandest airports are designed for passengers to actually enjoy their experience. In Singapore’s Changi Airport, for example, a towering indoor waterfall, forested walking trails and a glass-bottom bridge compete for travelers’ attention. It’s given many Americans “terminal envy,” Osbaugh said.

Now, U.S. airports are catching on with a wave of modernization projects. With the urgency higher than ever — U.S. airports are in need of $115 billion in improvements, according to a 2021 survey by the airport trade association — and an injection of funds from the bipartisan infrastructure law, there’s new money and momentum for version “2.0 of airport design,” Osbaugh said.

“I think we’re always going to be in a constant need to upgrade,” said Kevin Burke, president and CEO of Airports Council International-North America. “Not all airports are going to be modernized at the same time.”

To get a better understanding of the design trends that will define our airport experience in the future, The Washington Post examined renovations that are either in progress or were recently completed at six U.S. airports: Orlando International, Los Angeles International, Dallas Fort Worth International, Portland International, Pittsburgh International and New York City’s LaGuardia Airport.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/17/politics ... pse-reopen
A bridge in Pittsburgh that collapsed in January, hours before President Joe Biden was scheduled to visit the city to tout his landmark infrastructure funding law, is expected to reopen by the end of December.

The Fern Hollow Bridge may reopen to traffic before Christmas if installation of railings, lighting and line painting can be completed this week, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation said.

The 447-foot-long, four-lane bridge fell about 100 feet into a park below early on a snowy Friday morning due to a “structural failure,” according to the National Transportation Safety Board.

A bus and four passenger vehicles were on the bridge when it collapsed, according to the federal safety board’s latest report. At least four people sustained injuries. The incident remains under investigation.

State officials, including Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf, said that the federal bipartisan infrastructure law that passed last year is one of the reasons repair of the Fern Hollow Bridge is able to be completed in just 11 months after it collapsed.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-awa ... 023-02-27/
WASHINGTON, Feb 27 (Reuters) - The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday it is awarding nearly $1 billion to 99 U.S. airport projects under a 2021 $1 trillion infrastructure law.

The awards include $10.8 million to Des Moines International Airport in Iowa to replace the 1948 terminal that is operating above capacity and $29 million to Salt Lake City International Airport in Utah for a terminal and concourse redevelopment program. This is second phase of the funding -- FAA awarded nearly $1 billion for airport terminal projects announced for 85 airports last year.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: a sixty year old terminal structure? Must be rotten to its core with all applied modifications over the decades :cantlook:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:16 pm :shock: a sixty year old terminal structure? Must be rotten to its core with all applied modifications over the decades :cantlook:
Asbestos?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Salt Lake was really ugly and in need of serious renovations when I was there.

But SLC was a Palace compared to Reagan. What's happening at there? Anything?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:16 pm :shock: a sixty-year-old terminal structure? Must be rotten to its core with all applied modifications over the decades :cantlook:
Here is the new O'Hare. Well, new in the 60s. Terminal 1 back then was the old international terminal and not the, almost 40 year old, United terminal 1.

https://vintageairliners.com/chicago-ohare-1960s/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/co ... l-project/
NEW YORK -- Friday, construction kicked off on the first part of the project to build two new train tunnels underneath the Hudson River.

This project has been talked about for 30 years, and with work finally set to begin, state and federal leaders are celebrating what they call the light at the end of a very long tunnel.

"These are hard dollars that translate into hard hats," Sen. Chuck Schumer said.

Having support for New York among Washington leadership helped secure a total of $11 billion in federal financing, 70% of the money needed to connect Secaucus, New Jersey, to Penn Station through a brand new gateway.

"This is the largest single investment in infrastructure. and what better place than the great city of New York, the great state of New York, to prove that when we do things together, we can get great things done," said Mitch Landrieu, senior advisor to President Joe Biden.

The project is expected to provide 72,000 union jobs and an economic impact of $19 billion once all four tracks are up and running, transporting 200,000 people daily.
I wonder if Chris Christie has a comment.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:01 pm https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/17/politics ... pse-reopen
A bridge in Pittsburgh that collapsed in January, hours before President Joe Biden was scheduled to visit the city to tout his landmark infrastructure funding law, is expected to reopen by the end of December.

:snippity: .
NTSB report is out
NTSB Faults, Inspection Oversight for Fern Hollow Bridge Collapse

By Jim Parsons
February 21, 2024

The City of Pittsburgh’s failure to act for more than a decade on repeated maintenance and repair recommendations regarding the Fern Hollow Bridge was the probable cause for the structure’s dramatic 2022 collapse, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said at its Feb. 21, 2024, meeting. The city is the owner of the bridge.

The NTSB cited the poor quality of annual inspections and insufficient oversight by the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation and other agencies among the incident’s contributing factors.

The determination was based on a 25-month investigation following the January 28, 2022, collapse of the 52-year-old, 447-ft-long, three-span K-frame weathering steel bridge, which sent a transit bus and several other vehicles tumbling approximately 100 ft into a ravine. There were no fatalities from the incident but nine people were injured.

The NTSB examined evidence that included field studies of the collapse site, materials testing and finite element analysis, interviews with city and state agency personnel and contract inspectors, and a review of design, fabrication and maintenance documentation, as well as video from the transit bus’s on-board cameras. Documentation from the investigation was made public in January 2024.

Inspectors traced the failure to a transverse tie plate in the structure’s southwest leg, which had significant corrosion and section loss due to water and road salt runoff from the bridge’s perpetually clogged drains. That prevented the formation of a protective patina around the area

Inspection reports and repair recommendations from required annual inspections from as early as 2005 documented the increasing deterioration, including the gradual expansion of a hole on the lower web of the leg from 2x4 in to 12x12 in, recorded on September 29 2021, approximately four months prior to the collapse.

The board said that the city largely failed to respond to inspection reports, although a 2009 rehabilitation plan, developed by Michael Baker Jr., Inc. under contract to the City of Pittsburgh did result in the installation of cross-bracing steel cables as a temporary measure to increase the bridge’s resistance to wind loading. Permanent measures were not implemented, however, nor did the city respond to many other recommendations, including one to apply a rust-inhibiting coating to the legs as lower bracing members.

As a result, the board concluded, the southwest leg eventually lost sufficient structural capacity to carry the bridge load at the time of the collapse.

https://www.enr.com/articles/58190-ntsb ... e-collapse
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The report has been front and center in the news for the last few days. Pittsburgh has more bridges than any other city in the world.

Return to “Biden Administration”