Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Tips And Tricks

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Tips And Tricks

Post by keith »

Suranis just put up a GREAT tutorial on inserting images into a thread post.

I reckon it and other stuff like it deserves its own memorialization, thus I've started this thread.

Now I just have to figure out how to 'insert' a post from another thread!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Re: Tips And Tricks - inserting images

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:53 pm
Uninformed wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:39 pm “Ukraine crisis: World leaders step up talks amid invasion fears”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60292437

What a wonderfully symbolic photo at the top of the article. (Still haven’t worked out how to insert a picture :bag: )
Thers 2 ways. You can either

Load it directly from the source. Simply right click on the picture, select "Copy Image Link" Then Go to the post, Right click and select "paste" You will see something like https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpspr ... 618884.jpg

Then select all that and press the Image above. That will put IMG tags around it and you can post. Example

The more complicated way is to right click and Save the picture to your hard drive. Then Hit the attachment tab below, press Add file" find the picture file and select it, and then when it has finished loading the file onto the Site press "Place Inline" You will see something like {attachment=0]Biden04.jpg[/attachment} appear

Example

Biden04.jpg
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Tips And Tricks

Post by AndyinPA »

I do it by opening another Fogbow site and copying from there.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I think posting a link to an image on another site is considered bad web etiquette. Copying it to your hard drive and uploading it to this forum puts the overhead on Fogbow.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Quite the opposite. A link automatically gives attribution for the image to the source.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:26 pm
If you look at the second post on this thread, where it says "Suranis wrote:" there is a little up arrow. You can also see it beside the "Kieth Wrote:" in the quote above. If you put your mouse pointer over it you can right click and select "Copy Link" Then you can paste it elsewhere ike on another window or tab. Or you can click it to o directly to the post.

If I do it to the post beside my name and paste it, I get:

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 420#p81420

Which is a direct link to my post.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:26 pm ....
go to said thread and view the post, then click on the "quote" icon as if you are replying directly within the thread. Copy the text from the editor, cancel editing (or just the browser 'move to previous page'). Next move to the thread where you wish to add the content and start a regular Reply, then paste into the empty editor field.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

copied over from my Eurobot thread
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 am PS. above LUNAr test was done for this tip on how to post a visibly small attachment of a original huge sized image.

There is a trick to present a smaller visible version:
(1) prepare post with attachment
(2) click preview
(3) in the preview right click on the image and chose Copy Image Address
(4) in place of the ATTACH tag pair insert a IMGWIDTH tag pair with a WIDTH= of your choice (400 thru 600 generally looks nice) and insert the image address retrieved in (3).
(5) move the attach tag pair with reference to the end of the post and embed into SPOILER pair of tags to hide them.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Xposting
bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:26 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:18 pm
bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:25 am

That doesn't always work for me.
Recently Twitter got obnoxious and pu the nag screen up for good, so now i have one of my anonymour yahoo email connected, and while it wanted to have me follow a friend the WH got removed after getting the account.
Ah. Thx. I have avoided the Twit box to keep my footprint small. I prefer it that way.
There's a workaround for a lot of twitter obnoxiousness. If you look at a typical twit link you will see A statis number and then a "?" woth a lot of crap behind it. This is one I grabbed at random from another thread

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status ... _&ref_url=

Or broken up this would be

https ://twitter . com/TristanSnell/status/1499765764450131972 ? ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1499775564131061762%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=

Now if you click there you will only see 4 replies before it throws up a login box. BUT if you delete the ? and everything after it. the link will work fine.

IE

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status ... 4450131972

Or broken up o make it clearer

https: // twitter . com/TristanSnell/status/1499765764450131972

The stuff after the "?" is only used to track you and five information about where you linked from. Taking it out stymies their analytics and stops them blocking you. I typically cut that crap out as I hate twitter, which is how I figured this out. You literally wont notice any different apart from the lack of that obnoxious login box

I haven't figured out how to stop it popping up for looking at a persons personal page though :(

Edit: I encourage everyone to chop off the extra crap, namely the ? and beyond, on links posted to fogbow. The Tweet will still work fine but it will reduce server overhead, and fuck twitter.

I'm going to xpost this onto the tips thread.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Suranis wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:07 am Xposting
Very nice. Thank you.

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”