Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Virtual Reality Topics

Danraft

Virtual Reality Topics

Post by Danraft »

I’ve recently begun have regular discussions with someone starting to learn how to create content on the Unity platform for the Meta (Facebook) Oculus system so I made the leap and purchased a system.

I’m just exploring it, but it is decidedly exciting and has a LOT of potential. I tended to think of as primarily a gaming tool, and it is, but there are a number of other interesting uses to which it can be applied.
The VR 3D is pretty impressive and there is content like the International Space Station, VR flying (in the crazy flying squirrel suits), etc.. I haven’t explored very much, but I am intrigued and have some ideas I find personally interesting and do not require that much programming.

The Oculus system is not the most advanced in that it does not have inward facing cameras to capture eye movements, pupil dilation, facial expressions, etc and does not have a comprehensive body tracking system. But, it is pretty impressive.

Anyway, I thought some of the Fogbow peeps might have some insights…
neeneko

Re: Virtual Reality Topics

Post by neeneko »

Heh. I just picked up a new video card and Oculus specifically to start learning the Unity XR framework. I am planning on setting it up this weekend but have not started with it yet.

I really want to get a chance to play with mixed reality stuff, I think long term that has a lot of industrial and research uses. A company we had a meeting with last week got their devs some Hololens kits so they could say their product 'works with Hololens' and I am so envious.

Are you taking any specific courses/tutorials/etc? I am planning on going through a couple of the ones on Coursera.
Danraft

Re: Virtual Reality Topics

Post by Danraft »

Sounds Awesome!
I'll find out more today as to how I will be approaching Unity and C#.

My first sort of projects that I have in mind are selected to avoid some of the limitations of Oculus. As I see it, the primary shortcoming is in the clumsiness of locomotion and (somewhat connected) the lack of lower body sensing.

So, my first thoughts are in the education, training and onboarding areas and starting easy with a VR camera that can record a first person view. I'm thinking along the lines of teaching how to write Hangul ( the Korean phonetic alphabet) or calligraphy etc as I think seeing it from a first person view would make each lesson more sticky.
And, as a proof of concept of a training video, maybe a first person video of a woman applying makeup where you see her vanity table and all the brushes etc, the mirror, etc and she goes through the process describing the techniques all the way through.

On a more complex arena I am thinking of ways to use VR not for VR fencing, but for scoring a bout by keeping accurate track of right of way. I have been pondering it and getting more enthused as I figure each component out.

Return to “Computers and Internet”