Hijack This Thread

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

What does rolling coal even mean? Is he talking about clean, beautiful coal? Is his airplane powered by clean, beautiful coal?
far beyond ... far beyond ...
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:23 pm What does rolling coal even mean? Is he talking about clean, beautiful coal? Is his airplane powered by clean, beautiful coal?
Apparently it is a reference to high powered muscle cars -- ya know V8 bad-ass -- those that can burn rubber.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:31 pm
Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:23 pm What does rolling coal even mean? Is he talking about clean, beautiful coal? Is his airplane powered by clean, beautiful coal?
Apparently it is a reference to high powered muscle cars -- ya know V8 bad-ass -- those that can burn rubber.
No. Rolling coal is a specific - and very illegal - modification to diesel engines to make them shoot black, sooty smoke out their exhaust pipes. Basically you get a button in the cab that switches off the emissions control system, and hey presto you've got a smoke cannon. It's all the rage amongst some types for doing it to people driving hybrids, or (and I have had this personal experience) cyclists as a deliberate "fuck you!"

Personally, I think people who do it to cyclists should be brought up on charges, since the black smoke is not only vision-impairing (increasing the risk of an accident), but also can cause health problems. And no, I wouldn't defend someone charged with that crime. They can fuck themselves and find another attorney. We all have standards.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:31 pm
I have a '95 Pathfinder than can lay down a stripe of rubber halfway down my street.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:38 pm I have a '95 Pathfinder than can lay down a stripe of rubber halfway down my street.
"can" or did? Did you try? Is a '95 Pathfinder rear-wheel drive?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:38 pm No. Rolling coal is a specific - and very illegal - modification to diesel engines to make them shoot black, sooty smoke out their exhaust pipes. Basically you get a button in the cab that switches off the emissions control system, and hey presto you've got a smoke cannon. It's all the rage amongst some types for doing it to people driving hybrids, or (and I have had this personal experience) cyclists as a deliberate "fuck you!"

Personally, I think people who do it to cyclists should be brought up on charges, since the black smoke is not only vision-impairing (increasing the risk of an accident), but also can cause health problems. And no, I wouldn't defend someone charged with that crime. They can fuck themselves and find another attorney. We all have standards.
Well that is even worse. I hope Southwest cans this dumbass and he gets blackballed in the airline industry for life.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:38 pm I have a '95 Pathfinder than can lay down a stripe of rubber halfway down my street.
She has the right not to incriminate herself. :P
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

zekeb wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:04 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 am Hypocrisy is not unusual for hate filled rants. This is a perfect example. The guy flying the plane criticizes others for "not rolling coal." :roll:
I didn't realize only Liberals drove Hyundais.
Conservatives drive 1974 Buick Roadmasters, like Paul Harvey use to sell.
I would think the more modern version would be coal rollin Dodge 4x4 with a bigass Cummins diesel.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:44 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 am Hypocrisy is not unusual for hate filled rants. This is a perfect example. The guy flying the plane criticizes others for "not rolling coal." :roll:
I didn't realize only Liberals drove Hyundais.
I thought liberals were suppose to drive a Toyota Prius. Have I been doing it all wrong?
No. That is the popular misconception. Only members of the DLCC drive Prius's. Suburban DNC members drive Subarus.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

And now for something filled with total sweetness....
► Show Spoiler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm
Can. Yes. Yes.

eta: I can drop it in low and lay about 8-10 feet without touching the brakes.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m sad and horrified tonight. A woman I’d chatted with at the Horse Thief Canyon dog park and her dog were stabbed to death yesterday afternoon while walking in their San Dimas neighborhood, by a 23 year old stranger. :cantlook:

The attacker started to go after a pest control employee who’d stopped at the park to use the bathroom; he saw the knife as the kid came toward him and turned back to his car instead. The kid then focused on the woman and her dog, Sashi. When he saw the kid yank the leash toward him and stab first the dog then the woman he found a rock and either hit the guy on the head or threw it at him, knocking him out. He may have saved some lives.

In the middle of the day, in the middle of a suburban neighborhood, in the middle of the street, in front of a park with children playing.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -san-dimas

I can’t even. She was a nice lady who loved her grandkids and doggie. :crying:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kate520 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 am I’m sad and horrified tonight. A woman I’d chatted with at the Horse Thief Canyon dog park and her dog were stabbed to death yesterday afternoon while walking in their San Dimas neighborhood, by a 23 year old stranger. :cantlook:
:snippity:
I'm so sorry to hear this. Did they catch or ID the perp yet? I assume they have him since his age is given.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yes. The near-victim held him, unconscious, until the Sheriffs got there. He has a name and is supposedly from a town about 20 miles east down the I-210. He still might be homeless.
Lani

Post by Lani »

:brokenheart:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kate520 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:51 am Yes. The near-victim held him, unconscious, until the Sheriffs got there. He has a name and is supposedly from a town about 20 miles east down the I-210. He still might be homeless.
I think he will not be homeless anymore -- and get 3 square meals a day.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Any thoughts on The Baffler Magazine?

In my continuing effort to keep the post office fully employed, I'm considering another magazine subscription. The mailbox already overfolloweth with poli-requests, save-the-world requests from various religious and secular groups, The Nation, The Week, Nuts and Volts (amateur robotics), Jim Hightower newsletter, Reader's Digest, Wired, a number of industry quarterly mags, and probably some I've forgotten. And all our bills. I refuse to go paperless. The mailman chuckles about the volume we get some days.

Recently I got a killer deal from The Baffler - $20 for one year / six issues, or $30 for two years / twelve issues. Never heard of them, but obviously the two year sub is the best deal. I read some of their articles online, and so far am impressed.

Anyone else ever read their work?

TIA
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 pm Any thoughts on The Baffler Magazine?

In my continuing effort to keep the post office fully employed, I'm considering another magazine subscription.
Never heard of them.The only physical magazine I have today is The Nation , which I've had for decades.

My mailbox is mostly void except for advertising circulars. I bought a booklet of 'forever' stamps more than a year ago and I still have left overs.
We need to find a way to reinvent the postal service to this era because they are important. I don't know the answer.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:22 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:01 pm Any thoughts on The Baffler Magazine?

In my continuing effort to keep the post office fully employed, I'm considering another magazine subscription.
Never heard of them.The only physical magazine I have today is The Nation , which I've had for decades.

My mailbox is mostly void except for advertising circulars. I bought a booklet of 'forever' stamps more than a year ago and I still have left overs.
We need to find a way to reinvent the postal service to this era because they are important. I don't know the answer.
The USPS may be an anachronism, but I say let's keep on dancin!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 027981002/
The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that a person can’t be found guilty of sexually assaulting someone who is intoxicated if that person willingly ingested drugs or alcohol.

The ruling was released Wednesday after the case of Francois Monulu Khalil, who was convicted of a third-degree criminal sexual misconduct by a jury because the victim was drunk and mentally incapacitated. Khalil, a Minneapolis man, met his victim after she was denied entry to a bar for being too intoxicated.

The court’s unanimous decision was written by Minnesota Supreme Court Justice Pail Thissen. Thissen writes that the lower court’s definition of mentally incapacitated regarding the case "unreasonably strains and stretches the plain text of the statue" since the victim was intoxicated before she met Khalil, her attacker.

In order to be considered mentally incapacitated under Michigan law, the alcohol must be given to the person without that person’s agreement, according to the court. Because the original case did not meet the standard for a victim to be mentally incapacitated, the state's high court granted a new trial for Khalil.
Note: I couldn't find a topic under Law to put this. And I assume that Michigan in the last paragraph was meant to be Minnesota. :?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

The Minnesota court was dealing with a very specific statute:
“Mentally incapacitated” means that a person under the influence of alcohol,
a narcotic, anesthetic, or any other substance, administered to that person
without the person’s agreement, lacks the judgment to give a reasoned
consent to sexual contact or sexual penetration.
The court recognized (and seemed somewhat embarrassed) that the statute did not provide protection to persons from whom valid consent could not be obtained:
We are mindful of and concerned with the fact that, as the Minnesota County
Attorneys Association points out in its amicus brief, nearly half of all women in the United
States have been the victim of sexual violence in their lifetime—including an estimated 10
million women who have been raped while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. With
this level of sexual violence, legislatures across the country have enacted statutes aimed at
prioritizing consent and protecting intoxicated victims of rape and sexual assault,
regardless of how the victim became intoxicated. See, e.g., Wash. Rev. Code § 9A.44.010
(defining “mental incapacity”—for the purpose of second-degree rape under Wash. Rev.
Code § 9A.44.050—as a “condition existing at the time of the offense which prevents a
person from understanding the nature or consequences of the act of sexual intercourse
whether that condition is produced by illness, defect, the influence of a substance or from
some other cause”). These statutory definitions protect intoxicated victims of rape
regardless of how they became intoxicated. But today we undertake the task of interpreting
the definition of “mentally incapacitated” that the Minnesota Legislature enacted in Minn.
Stat. § 609.341, subd. 7 (2020).
Link to Opinion
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

OMGosh, I spilled a beverage on my primary laptop and I about died. It would not respond to keystrokes on the keyboard. Now, after it completely dried-out, it's perfect and back to normal.

/dance
filly

Post by filly »

Did anyone watch 60 Minutes tonight? First segment was given over to promote the "Covid escaped a lab in Wuhan" theory, on the same night disgraced Dr. Redfield is saying this on CNN. The two main proponents of this are a guy named Jamie Metzl (who used to work with the Clinton NSC) and Matthew Pottinger (a friend of Mike Flynn). Very odd.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Kate520 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 am I’m sad and horrified tonight. A woman I’d chatted with at the Horse Thief Canyon dog park and her dog were stabbed to death yesterday afternoon while walking in their San Dimas neighborhood, by a 23 year old stranger. :cantlook:

<snip>

I had a client once who did that. Stabbed a complete stranger to death - 27 times for no apparent reason. He said he did it because he thought he was supposed to. He had been taking a medication that messed with his brain chemistry. Jury didn’t buy the insanity or involuntary intoxication defenses, but we did get the premeditated murder conviction overturned on an instructional issue. The client (who was 19 at the time of the killing) ended up pleading to a lesser offense and ended up with a significantly reduced sentence.

It was a tragedy all the way around.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'll be AFK all day today, taking a continuing education course. Also Thursday and Friday.

Return to “General Stuff”