Where Did "Pirate Speak" Come From and the Birth International Talk Like A Pirate Day

John Thomas8

Where Did "Pirate Speak" Come From and the Birth International Talk Like A Pirate Day

Post by John Thomas8 »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Oh hay, I missed the holiday!

Arrrrrgh, mateys!!
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Avast tharr!!! :pirate:
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

What be a Pirate's favorite letter?

RRR!

No, it be the C.
Image Image ImageImage
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Yesterday I was picking up my 3 year old great niece (THREE!) and she greeted me with "Ahoy, matey!"
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Mrich wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:19 am Yesterday I was picking up my 3 year old great niece (THREE!) and she greeted me with "Ahoy, matey!"
Ha, I love it!

When my daughter was three, she stepped into my work boots, and clomped around saying "Hey honey, I'm home!"
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

The salient feature of Pirate Talk is rhoticity.

In the 16th and 17the Centuries, Rs were strongly pronounced. When we do Shakespeare plays in OP (Original Pronunciation,~1590-1620) people always remark "That sounds like Pirate English!"

The most direct evidence for this is a contemporary writer who described the R pronunciation as a "doggy sound, like Grrr."

OP would indeed be an accurate dialect for the pirates of the time. It would have been the dialect of the first Jamestown and Plymouth colonists. By now, a goodly number of the docents/re-enactors at those sites have studied OP.

The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

:bighug:
Mrich wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:19 am Yesterday I was picking up my 3 year old great niece (THREE!) and she greeted me with "Ahoy, matey!"
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

For my son's 7th birthday, we had a pirate party, complete with scavenger maps and root beet in brown bottles. Yhe boys loved it and said all the pirate-y things. Then the half-wit neighbors called the cops on us for giving the kids beer.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 pm For my son's 7th birthday, we had a pirate party, complete with scavenger maps and root beet in brown bottles. Yhe boys loved it and said all the pirate-y things. Then the half-wit neighbors called the cops on us for giving the kids beer.
Root beer and sassafras come in brown bottles.

Return to “The Funny”