Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hospitals Deal with Covid

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Hospitals Deal with Covid

Post by Volkonski »

Omicron surge is undermining care for other health problems

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... _medium=AP
The omicron surge this winter has not only swamped U.S. hospitals with record numbers of patients with COVID-19, it has also caused frightening moments and major headaches for people trying to get treatment for other ailments.

Less-urgent procedures have been put on hold around the country, such as cochlear implant surgeries and steroid injections for rheumatoid arthritis. And people with all sorts of medical complaints have had to wait in emergency rooms for hours longer than usual.

:snippity:

An average of almost 144,000 people were in the hospital in the U.S. with COVID-19 as of Tuesday, the highest level on record, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hospitals in a few states such as New York and Connecticut that experienced early omicron surges are starting to see an easing of the patient load, but many other places are overwhelmed.

Hospitals say the COVID-19 patients aren’t as sick as those during the last surge. And many of them are being admitted for reasons other than COVID-19 and only incidentally testing positive for the virus.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Our news reports are dire for available beds in all the local hospitals. I was admitted on Monday for a raging infection and cellulitis due to having almost zero WBC count (1.4, should be 5 - 10) and my doc did a direct admission rather than through the ER. It was taking longer than usual to get a room available and admissions was closing so they were going to send me down to the ER to wait. By the time they told me that, I was laid out on the floor of the waiting room barely able to even lift my head, but I had enough energy to tell them fuck no. They weren't sure what to do when I said their options were for me to crawl out into the lobby and lie on that floor until they had a room, find me a room, or refuse me admission and send me home AMA, but there was no way i hell I was going anywhere near the ER with all the sick people. They miraculously found me a bed in about 15 minutes.

The good news is I tested negative all 3 times they tested me over the 4 days I was there.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh, Sugar M., I am devastated to hear about you suffering like that. So glad you're home again with apparently no long-term consequences, but jeez, don't you go through enough nightmares without stuff like that happening?

Hugs to you and your husband, I know both sides of that kind of stuff, and it's almost worse to see someone you love suffering when there isn't a goddam thing you can do to help. That feeling of helplessness is something us guys - or at least me, anyway - absolutely hate. If he's in any way similar, he gets my sympathy as well as you do.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

So sorry you had to go through any of that, Sugar. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

ThedaCare asks court to temporarily stop 7 stroke, trauma employees from moving to Ascension

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news ... 595232001/
ThedaCare officials are asking Outagamie County judge Mark McGinnis to pause the recruitment of seven of their employees to Ascension Northeast Wisconsin, arguing the move will endanger patients in the region who need treatment for strokes and traumatic injuries.

In a Thursday interview with The Post-Crescent, ThedaCare leaders said Ascension recruited a group of ThedaCare employees from its interventional radiology and cardiovascular team. That team performs procedures to stop bleeding in targeted areas during a traumatic injury or restore blood flow to the brain in the case of a stroke.

Seven of 11 employees on that team accepted offers with Ascension and will start there next week if the court does not act, said Lynn Detterman, ThedaCare's senior vice president for its south region.

ThedaCare filed for a temporary injunction Thursday, which would halt the employees' move to Ascension for 90 days to give ThedaCare time to look for replacement staff. Detterman said ThedaCare tried to resolve the matter first by speaking with Ascension but were unsuccessful.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:36 pm Our news reports are dire for available beds in all the local hospitals. I was admitted on Monday for a raging infection and cellulitis due to having almost zero WBC count (1.4, should be 5 - 10) and my doc did a direct admission rather than through the ER. It was taking longer than usual to get a room available and admissions was closing so they were going to send me down to the ER to wait. By the time they told me that, I was laid out on the floor of the waiting room barely able to even lift my head, but I had enough energy to tell them fuck no. They weren't sure what to do when I said their options were for me to crawl out into the lobby and lie on that floor until they had a room, find me a room, or refuse me admission and send me home AMA, but there was no way i hell I was going anywhere near the ER with all the sick people. They miraculously found me a bed in about 15 minutes.

The good news is I tested negative all 3 times they tested me over the 4 days I was there.
This is a story most would assume happened in rural India or China, not in the US.

Good lord, I'm glad you got a bed and are ok, Ms. Sugar! :bighug:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:58 pm ThedaCare asks court to temporarily stop 7 stroke, trauma employees from moving to Ascension

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news ... 595232001/
1. On what legal grounds could such an injunction be supported?

2. Ascension is doing what almost all other employers are doing during the pandemic. They're offering pay/benefits that effectively lure medical staff to their facility.

From the article.
"Workforce shortages are one of the many stresses healthcare systems have faced during this pandemic. Many healthcare systems, including Ascension Wisconsin, continue to actively recruit healthcare workers. Contrary to the allegations in the ThedaCare lawsuit, Ascension Wisconsin did not initiate the recruitment of the ThedaCare employees. Rather, the employees applied for open job postings. To the extent such individuals met the job qualifications, Ascension Wisconsin made offers of employment to the individuals who applied as a part of Ascension Wisconsin’s routine process of hiring qualified associates at a fair and just wage. It is Ascension Wisconsin’s understanding that ThedaCare had an opportunity but declined to make competitive counter offers to retain its former employees.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I understand the feeling. A couple weeks ago, I thought I was getting pancreatitis again and I was NOT going to go to the ER. I was not 100% that it was so I wrote down my symptoms and med list and told hubby that if it got worse to call the ambulance. At least that way, if we called the Ambo I could get pain meds started right away.

I took 3 lortabs and went to sleep. Pain was better managable in the morning so I am just living with the pain

I see my Crohn's doc next week
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

LM K wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:46 pm

I'd like to know the answer to this too, because it sounds an awful lot like slavery to me.

What is to prevent any, or all, of these employees from simply leaving the medical field? Or moving to another state as a traveling nurse? I don't see any mention of the employees being bound by contracts, or am I mistaken?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Azastan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 am

I'd like to know the answer to this too, because it sounds an awful lot like slavery to me.

What is to prevent any, or all, of these employees from simply leaving the medical field? Or moving to another state as a traveling nurse? I don't see any mention of the employees being bound by contracts, or am I mistaken?
They are not bound by contacts, they are at-will employees. The hospital could legally fire them at any moment.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
LM K

Post by LM K »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:58 am
Azastan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 am

They are not bound by contacts, they are at-will employees. The hospital could legally fire them at any moment.
Typically nurses are unionized and have contracts.

This does sound like slavery. Hospitals are paying $8,000+ to travel nurses.

There might be other issues at hand. When more that half your staff resigns, there's typically a problem with supervisors and admin.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Which patient would want a nurse that is ordered by a court to remain with their current employer. How would an employer force a nurse to perform certain activities under duress? We will withhold your last salary payment!!! :blackeye:
LM K

Post by LM K »

The judge granted the injunction. :shock:

Employees were planning to transition on Jan 21. According to Reddit, the injunction was granted until a hearing tomorrow (Jan 24).
A judge has granted ThedaCare a temporary restraining order in a dispute with Ascension Wisconsin.

Thursday morning, ThedaCare filed for a temporary injunction against Ascension Wisconsin, saying it could cause the community harm by recruiting a majority of ThedaCare’s comprehensive stroke care team.

On Friday, an Outagamie County judge ruled in favor of ThedaCare and issued this order:

“Cease the hiring of the individuals referenced until ThedaCare has hired adequate staff to replace the departing IRC team members.”

So Ascension could hire other employees from ThedaCare?

ThedaCare operates the only Level II trauma and comprehensive stroke care unit in the Fox Valley. It says losing these workers could impact its ability to have people on call 24/7, which is necessary for accreditation.

Action 2 News spoke to one of the workers leaving. They told us there was no recruiting. Rather, one member of the team applied for a job with Ascension Wisconsin and received a much better offer than expected, which led others on the team to apply.

The court action seeks to partner with Ascension Wisconsin for 90 days, giving ThedaCare enough time to fill those lost positions.
Employees are free to quit.

ThedaCare is betting that their resigning staff won't quit. Those employees would lose at least a week's worth of income.

But what else would employees lose? Health insurance. During a pandemic. Employees could sign up for COBRA, but COBRA is super duper expensive.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:21 pm I understand the feeling. A couple weeks ago, I thought I was getting pancreatitis again and I was NOT going to go to the ER. I was not 100% that it was so I wrote down my symptoms and med list and told hubby that if it got worse to call the ambulance. At least that way, if we called the Ambo I could get pain meds started right away.

I took 3 lortabs and went to sleep. Pain was better managable in the morning so I am just living with the pain

I see my Crohn's doc next week
:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Seattle hospitals at breaking point amid COVID crush of patients
Weekly hospitalizations have increased 460% from one month ago.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/seattle-h ... itter_abcn
Between Jan. 13 and Jan. 19, there has been an average of 64 new hospitalizations per day with a total of 449 during the week, according to county health department data.

"I think we're closer now to a crisis -- like a true crisis in health care -- we're closer than we've ever been during this entire pandemic," Lynch told ABC News.

He said this is due to several factors, including the number of patients getting sick, hospitals reaching capacity, an exhausted health care workforce and the frustration of COVID patients being admitted to hospitals who are unvaccinated.

Before the omicron surge, unvaccinated King County residents were nine times more likely to be hospitalized and die, according to Public Health Seattle. During the omicron surge, unvaccinated people are now 12 times more likely to be hospitalized and 20 times more likely to die.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Judge drops restraining order prohibiting ThedaCare employees from starting work at Ascension:

https://www.wearegreenbay.com/news/loca ... ascension/

ETA: changed injunction to restraining order
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Our hospital is full, our morgue is full, we are trying to run our ER with 2 RNs (🙋🏽‍♀️+ 1), I have bruises on my hands from doing so many compressions in multiple codes, I have lost 25 lbs, I have never been screamed at by the public so much in my entire career.
#NursesAreNotOk
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Chris Polansky
@ChrisKPolansky
·
36m
Dr. Kamran Abbasi of Tulsa’s Saint Francis, which just set an all-time high for COVID patients:

“We’ve never seen death like this. …Feeling helpless, like you want to do something, and then they die & they die & they die? That takes a toll on you.”

Get vaccinated, he pleads.
Chris Polansky
@ChrisKPolansky
·
32m
Abbasi definitely choked up while saying:

“Patient lives are patient lives. That’s bigger than anything else we can talk about. … We’re here to help preserve life. And it almost feels that, at times, we’ve failed. Not because we didn’t try. And that is emotionally taxing.”
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

“We’ve never seen death like this. …Feeling helpless, like you want to do something, and then they die & they die & they die? That takes a toll on you.”
Actually, and I hope you are sitting down, because actually the plain truth is that everybody dies in this great land of ours. There are 330 million Americans now, and all 330 million are going to die and die and die.

AND, I don't mean to be rude, but you signed up for this. Don't you remember when you decided to be a doctor? Isn't this what you wanted, a chance to really help in a medical crisis? Did you not know then that people die and die and die?

I know it sucks to see someone die. I've seen that in my own home, twice. But it's harder for the person who dies, and their family. It's harder for all of us who can't really help.

But dude, you are still a hero and YOU ARE OUR ONLY HOPE. We don't have the luxury to say "OK, he's all beat down, let's go get treatment somewhere else." You're the only one with the training, and YOU ARE SAVING SOME OF THEM. So focus on that, and not the ones you can't save.

No matter what you do in life, you are going to have bad days. Very bad. I've had those, too.

So buck up, sport. Take care of yourself as best you can, and get back to work helping people die. I know it takes a toll. It's taking a toll on a lot of people. But you're different from most of the people who have to pay the toll. You can do something to help.

The truth is, I envy you, and don't want to see you complain.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

In fairness, boss, I think what is getting them down is not so much just the dying, which happens, it's the utterly preventable dying, the violent hostility to experts, and the rampant abusing of care-givers.

My best friend's hubby is an emergency doc, and it is driving him crazy. It's a novel situation: the unvaccinated suffering and dying all the while claiming HE doesn't know what he's doing; that the COVID is a hoax, it must be something else, why don't you give us the right drugs (ivermectin, hydrochloroquine, etc.), the vaccines are a plot to kill us all ... It's not like cancer, heart disease, and so on. It just isn't.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:04 am In fairness, boss, I think what is getting them down is not so much just the dying, which happens, it's the utterly preventable dying, the violent hostility to experts, and the rampant abusing of care-givers.

My best friend's hubby is an emergency doc, and it is driving him crazy. It's a novel situation: the unvaccinated suffering and dying all the while claiming HE doesn't know what he's doing; that the COVID is a hoax, it must be something else, why don't you give us the right drugs (ivermectin, hydrochloroquine, etc.), the vaccines are a plot to kill us all ... It's not like cancer, heart disease, and so on. It just isn't.
:yeahthat:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm
roadscholar wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:04 am In fairness, boss, I think what is getting them down is not so much just the dying, which happens, it's the utterly preventable dying, the violent hostility to experts, and the rampant abusing of care-givers.

They’re not seeing a smoker once in awhile with lung cancer or a diabetic once in awhile who didn’t take their meds and lose weight who’s going to die from complications. They’re seeing people every hour who are going to die because they wouldn’t wear a mask or get a couple of shots. And they don’t just die. They linger for weeks, even months, while using up resources that could benefit someone who has a different condition, like heart disease. AND the families are threatening them and abusing them, sometimes crossing legal lines. Sometimes physically.

They can complain all they want. I’m listening.
mimi

Post by mimi »

I started following this twitter account a week or so ago => https://twitter.com/SolNataMD

LM K

Post by LM K »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:28 am
Actually, and I hope you are sitting down, because actually the plain truth is that everybody dies in this great land of ours. There are 330 million Americans now, and all 330 million are going to die and die and die.

AND, I don't mean to be rude, but you signed up for this. Don't you remember when you decided to be a doctor? Isn't this what you wanted, a chance to really help in a medical crisis? Did you not know then that people die and die and die?

I know it sucks to see someone die. I've seen that in my own home, twice. But it's harder for the person who dies, and their family. It's harder for all of us who can't really help.

But dude, you are still a hero and YOU ARE OUR ONLY HOPE. We don't have the luxury to say "OK, he's all beat down, let's go get treatment somewhere else." You're the only one with the training, and YOU ARE SAVING SOME OF THEM. So focus on that, and not the ones you can't save.

No matter what you do in life, you are going to have bad days. Very bad. I've had those, too.

So buck up, sport. Take care of yourself as best you can, and get back to work helping people die. I know it takes a toll. It's taking a toll on a lot of people. But you're different from most of the people who have to pay the toll. You can do something to help.

The truth is, I envy you, and don't want to see you complain.
:mad2:

Fuck that, Foggy. Most doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, CNAs, and others in healthcare are psychologically damaged from what they see daily.

PTSD damages the brain on a cellular level. On a molecular level. PTSD is a form of brain damage.

Healthcare providers didn't sign up to be stalked by antivaxxers. They did choose to be assaulted by the family members of dying/dead. They didn't sign up to be verbally abused inside or outside their hospitals. They didn't sign up to be sued over a farmyard med.

Watching colleagues try to cope with PTSD when you're also experiencing PTSD causes further trauma. These healthcare providers are doing their best.

Have you watched someone get slowly strangled to death over days/weeks? Covid is a gruesome death. I wouldn't wish covid on anyone.

Last week an ICU nurse told his coworkers that he forgot something in his car. He never came back to the hospital. Instead he drove to a local bridge ... and jumped.

How about some goddamn empathy?

Let me quote you; I "don't want to see you complain".

Finally, ask yourself; why are you so bothered by a healthcare provider sharing their pain?
LM K

Post by LM K »

ThedaCare drops its lawsuit against Ascension Wisconsin
The president and CEO of ThedaCare said the health care organization dropped its lawsuit against Ascension Wisconsin.

Dr. Imran Andrabi said ThedaCare filed to dismiss its legal action in Outagamie County court on Friday.

ThedaCare’s lawsuit accused Ascension of poaching its employees and sought a 90-day partnership with Ascension while it replaced 7 of its 11 stroke team members who took new jobs at St. Elizabeth Hospital. ThedaCare has the only Level II trauma and comprehensive stroke care unit in the Valley.

In a statement Friday, Andrabi said ThedaCare has brought on “new team members, agency nurses and technologists,” provided additional training to more employees, and partnered with other area health care systems. Andrabi wrote, “We have never diverted a trauma patient in the 32-year history of our Trauma program, and have been able to safely provide the critical care our communities depend upon.”

An employee told Action 2 News one of the 11 stroke team members said one applied for a job with Ascension and received a much better offer, which led other members to apply. At Monday’s hearing, employees testified that Ascension offered them not just more money but a better work-life balance and made them feel appreciated for their work.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”