Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Save the US Postal Service

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
sugar magnolia

Re: Save the US Postal Service

Post by sugar magnolia »

My sister lives in Memphis, 150 miles from here. She mailed her Christmas cards on Dec 17. We got it yesterday.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

What's the complaint? Well in time for the 2022 holidays... :twisted:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:40 am My sister lives in Memphis, 150 miles from here. She mailed her Christmas cards on Dec 17. We got it yesterday.
This is why I paid the taxes on our North Fork cottages online using a credit card the past two Decembers. Couldn't be sure a mailed check would arrive before the due date.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Picture me seeing this and turning into the Tenth Doctor saying, “ What? WHAT?”

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Yeah - print a postage stamp, one single unit, freshly issued, then place an NFT on it that folks can participate in the ownership of this unique object.

:yawn:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:32 pm Yeah - print a postage stamp, one single unit, freshly issued, then place an NFT on it that folks can participate in the ownership of this unique object.

:yawn:
I liked the responses like, "Surprise me by delivering my prescriptions."
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

WHEN WILL THE USPS LIFT THE EMBARGO AGAINST AUSTRALIA?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

keith wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:37 pm WHEN WILL THE USPS LIFT THE EMBARGO AGAINST AUSTRALIA?
I just talked to my sister the other day who is an author. She sells her books on her website and got orders last month and shipped them off. The ones headed for Australia came back to her. She's frustrated. An expensive lesson.
keith

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:39 pm
keith wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:37 pm WHEN WILL THE USPS LIFT THE EMBARGO AGAINST AUSTRALIA?
I just talked to my sister the other day who is an author. She sells her books on her website and got orders last month and shipped them off. The ones headed for Australia came back to her. She's frustrated. An expensive lesson.
I've got a package of CD's sitting at the vendor in Seattle since September 4.

USPS placed the embargo on September 3
tek

Post by tek »

The initial shutdown was apparently due to delivery issues once in-country, but the current blockage is due to lack of scheduled airline cargo capacity. Pay (a lot) more, USPS will put it on dedicated cargo flights.

UPS, FedEx, DHL appear to be surcharging and extending delivery times but have some 'economy' transport capacity.

International logistics are pretty screwy these days. One of my clients finds it far easier to ship (internationally) a dozen racks of servers than a box of spare parts.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Jon Cooper @joncoopertweets wrote: BREAKING: The U.S. Postal Service has finalized Louis DeJoy’s plans to purchase a mostly gas-powered delivery fleet, defying both the EPA and the White House. The USPS will spend up to $11.3 billion on a fleet of 90% gasoline-powered trucks and only 10% electric trucks.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:explode:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Such a contract is long running, production takes time. I guess DeJoeys successor can specify different propulsion on parts of the fleet, eg more electic where sensible.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

Biden signs Postal Service reform bill into law

President Biden on Wednesday signed into law legislation reforming the U.S. Postal Service in a bid to increase transparency and stabilize the financial footing of what he called an essential agency.

Biden listed off the critical functions of the Postal Service at a bill signing ceremony in the State Dining Room, which was packed with dozens of mostly mask-less guests. He noted mail carriers help deliver prescription drugs, bill payments for small businesses and the votes of millions of Americans.

“This bill recognizes the Postal Service as a public service and we’re ensuring that it can continue to serve all Americans for generations to come,” Biden said.
:snippity:
https://thehill.com/news/administration ... -into-law/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Why is DeJoy still running the USPS?
raison de arizona

:yeahthat:
keith

Post by keith »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:34 pm Why is DeJoy still running the USPS?
Because the board still has Trump majority. Till the middle of next year, ithink
raison de arizona

keith wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:37 pm
Reality Check wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:34 pm Why is DeJoy still running the USPS?
Because the board still has Trump majority. Till the middle of next year, ithink
Biden could have appointed board members that would have replaced DeJoy, he chose not to. I don't know why.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:42 pm
keith wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:37 pm
Biden could have appointed board members that would have replaced DeJoy, he chose not to. I don't know why.
This article at Slate is from Feb 2021, so it's over a year old, but it lays out how the Post Office Board of Governors and the Postmaster General are chosen and how they can be removed from office. It's a pretty complicated system, but I've tried to pick a few choice points to share. I'd recommend reading the whole thing, though: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... dejoy.html
[...] While the president can fire other high-ranking executive officials at will, federal law bars the president from terminating the postmaster general under any circumstances. Biden can attempt to oust DeJoy indirectly, but that option is fraught with legal uncertainties, and certain to trigger Republican complaints of norm busting. Unless the president is willing to take a significant legal risk, DeJoy will remain in control for months or years to come.

[...] If DeJoy served at the pleasure of the president, Biden surely would’ve fired him on Day One. But he doesn’t. The problem, ironically, originates from Congress’ desire to insulate USPS from politics. For most of American history, the Postal Service played an integral role in the spoils system, and postmaster general was a plum post for an ally of the president. In 1970, Congress overhauled the structure of the Postal Service to end this sordid tradition of patronage by giving the agency substantial independence. To oversee USPS’s activities, Congress established a nine-member board of governors who are nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate. No more than five members of the board may belong to the same political party. Once confirmed to the board, governors can only be removed by the president “for cause”; that means their jobs are safe unless the president can show that they engaged in malfeasance or extreme neglect of duty. The board of governors, in turn, selects the postmaster general, who is not subject to Senate approval. And once appointed, the postmaster general can only be removed by the board, though it need not justify its decision.

This structure, in short, is why Louis DeJoy remains postmaster general under Biden. The board of governors is dominated by Trump appointees; Senate Republicans refused to confirm President Barack Obama’s nominees to the board, leaving vacancies that Trump promptly filled. Today, there are four Republicans and two Democrats on the board, plus three vacancies. One Democrat, Ron Bloom, is serving a holdover term, which means Biden can replace him at any time. Thus, Biden can fill four seats on the board of governors—a move that would flip the board, giving Democrats a 5–4 majority. The new president can then urge the Democratic members to remove DeJoy, which they can do by a majority vote.

Filling these vacancies is the simplest way for Biden to get rid of DeJoy, though there is no guarantee that it will actually work. The new board would include five Democrats—but one of them, Donald Lee Moak, is a Trump-appointed moderate who, along with the rest of the board, backed DeJoy when he came under fire for his alleged corruption. It appears unlikely that Moak would choose to oust a postmaster general whom he supported through this summer’s controversy. And if Moak declined to join Biden’s nominees in firing DeJoy, the postmaster general would retain his position indefinitely.
The article then goes on to look at the risks and problems involved in trying to fire the Board of Directors since they have to be fired "for cause," as well as looking at ways Biden might be able to get around then "for cause" requirement and the possible ramifications (big ramifications) that could have. It also notes that a Dem Representative has suggested that a "cause" for firing the board might be to claim that by leaving DeJoy in power, they have been negligent in their duty to serve the best interests of the people, but it's very much unclear if that would even begin to fly.

Like I said, the article is over a year old so some things will obviously have changed since then, but apparently not enough yet to get DeJoy taken out by the Board of Directors. The most recent thing I saw while searching was that Ron Bloom, the hold-over the article says Biden can replace at any time has now been replaced, but I didn't see anything beyond that.
raison de arizona

Since then Biden appointed two Democrats that weren't enthused with replacing DeJoy and... a Republican that was against replacing him. :shrug: Biden literally appointed a Republican that worked in the Trump admin.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 pm Since then Biden appointed two Democrats that weren't enthused with replacing DeJoy and... a Republican that was against replacing him. :shrug:
That seems rather stupid.

(NOTE: I'm not calling BIDEN stupid, just noting that this decision seems particularly stupid to me.)
raison de arizona

I mean, there must have been a reason, but I haven't ever learned what it is.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:15 pm I mean, there must have been a reason, but I haven't ever learned what it is.
I got nothin' on that point....

Return to “Current Politics”