Weather Alerts

roadscholar

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by roadscholar »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 am All we have here is a "heavy freezing spray warning."
Warning must be about a bigger can.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.14.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.14.25 AM.png (448.03 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I just chatted with my sister who lives in western North Carolina. She says her four grandchildren in Raleigh - ages 7 to 13 - are excited about the prospect of snow. So at least someone is. And they do have a fireplace to keep them warm if they lose power.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, but snow is usually a disappointment for the children of Rawly. It's a little hard to see right now, but I looked out the front door and maybe a little bit is on the lawn. The driveway probably has ice on it, but I moved the car to the street, I can walk on the grass to get it.

More due tonight, they said maybe 2 inches. But that's not enough for real sledding. I hope it's more than that, for the kids' sake.

Edit: OK, now the Sun is up a little more, it's 7:13. We have what I call a dusting - not enough to bury the lawn but clearly visible, maybe a few millimeters.

But it rained all day yesterday while the temperature was dropping, and that means black ice, because it isn't going over freezing today. Where's the HOT CHONKLIT?
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well, we got our 2 inches, maybe 3, I haven't gone out yet.

Still not really enough for good sledding, tho ... :blackeye:

Edit: I better have more covfefe and get out there for a walk along the river, like I do every day, but today it's going up to 4 Centipede and mañana will be 7 or 8, so if you want to enjoy the snow you better get out there while it's here.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Justin Michaels
@JMichaelsNews
·
50m
Raleigh, NC is a winter wonderland this Saturday morning after #Jasper brought >3” of #snow overnight! Sled Snowflake Snowman without snow Cold face
@weatherchannel
is live! #NCwx
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We had wind last night. Gusts up to 85mph rattled the windows some. Woke to several tree branches down and the back yard full of tumbleweed. Fucking Russia. Even their sage is a PITA.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I took photos this morning, but then I spent the day fighting the computer and trying to get Fogbow back online.

Tomorrow ...
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I put photos in the poor ol' rooster thread.

OMG, it's -7 Centipede (19 Ferriswheel) outside.

I'll leave the house again in April. BRRRR.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

My Alexa tells me there is a freeze warning in affect for my city for tomorrow. It's currently 45 degrees F where I live in roughly Central Florida. It's supposed to get all the way up to 59 today. I'm sure lots of you would probably love that, but us old geezers in Florida aren't used to this kind of travesty.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We've just come out of the deep freeze, but are looking at snow again, starting later today. The snow in the woods from last weekend (7") looked lovely until about two dozen turkeys started scratching at it. Maybe we'll get enough snow to cover that over today--until they come back.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

Supposed to get down to 43 Frimfram degrees tonight here in south east Florida..

Might be some falling iguanas.
tek

Post by tek »

d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (266.58 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yesterday I went out for the first time since our Big Wind Friday night. Floyd and I went to the park in La Verne we both like a lot. It’s full city block, in a residential area, and it’s lovely. It has a brand new play area, a covered picnic area…they refurbished it last summer.

:o :shock: OMG. My heart is broken. It looks like a bomb went off. I counted 13 trees, mostly deodar cedars and pines, uprooted.
The Sequoias that ring the park on the sidewalk verge were untouched, still standing. After 2 full days of bulldozing and clearing, the park still looked devastated. I can’t imagine what it looked like Saturday morning.
A sample:

D6FCF6FB-4ED2-48C5-9ADC-D7D40AFABB72.jpeg
D6FCF6FB-4ED2-48C5-9ADC-D7D40AFABB72.jpeg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
050112AE-F372-4E2B-8EC9-C47B859E7CD2.jpeg
050112AE-F372-4E2B-8EC9-C47B859E7CD2.jpeg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
It’s in a residential area. There are several old, large Craftsman homes across the street on three sides but the damage was limited to this park. That blows my mind. The ferocity of it all, limited to this one park with no people living in it.

Further down the Foothill Corridor, Claremont, the City of Trees (and colleges) was badly hit, too. They lost over a hundred trees; a couple of houses and cars were also damaged. Three streets were still blocked by downed trees on Monday. They thought they’d been hit by a tornado, but nope, it was only 86 mph winds.

This is how nature renews. Still painful for us humans who think everything broken needs fixed, immediately.

ETA Looking at all the trees, I was shocked by how shallow the roots are. The grass is emerald green - this is, after all, the flagship park in the city - and, while we had a big rain a last week, we haven’t had enough rain this year to make the entire park so wet. I think they’ve overwatered for years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's just heartbreaking.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Here in our seacoast town north of Boston, the preliminary predictions of 9-15 inches of snow for this Saturday have been increased to 15-23 inches, still preliminary. But it’s the forecast of a nor'easter with sustained 45-50 mph winds, coinciding with an astronomical high tide (10 feet), that has the local weather mavens shaking their heads, using terms like “bomb cyclone,” and thinking about the blizzard of 1978 and the “No Name” storm of 1991 (aka the Perfect Storm).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

chancery wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 pm Here in our seacoast town north of Boston, the preliminary predictions of 9-15 inches of snow for this Saturday have been increased to 15-23 inches, still preliminary. But it’s the forecast of a nor'easter with sustained 45-50 mph winds, coinciding with an astronomical high tide (10 feet), that has the local weather mavens shaking their heads, using terms like “bomb cyclone,” and thinking about the blizzard of 1978 and the “No Name” storm of 1991 (aka the Perfect Storm).
I recall the 1978 storm which I experienced on Long Island and which my parents endured in SE Massachusetts. It was a big deal. :eek: My parents had to walk uptown to get groceries at the store where I used to work because it was impossible to drive. They sent me photos.

As to the Perfect Storm, I read the book and saw the movie. It also was a big deal.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Can't help but notice that the 35.6" forecast is where the town I grew up in is located.

Currently
@currently
This weekend's nor'easter has a chance at becoming the biggest snowstorm in Boston history.

Yup, you read that right.

Current reasonable worst case forecast from @NWSBoston: 29.2"
Presidents Day 2003: 27.6"
Blizzard of 1978: 27.1"

tek

Post by tek »

winter_forecast.jpg
winter_forecast.jpg (116.59 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reed Timmer
@ReedTimmerAccu
·
39m
A few small flakes of snow falling on Plymouth Rock, MA during calm before the storm! What a beautiful place with the harbor so smooth. We are heading to Cape Cod to position for #blizzard coverage
@accuweather
I grew up in SE Massachusetts and so visited Plymouth Rock more times than I can count. ;)
lunaluz

Post by lunaluz »

I saw this on twitter and it made me laugh....
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I have already stolen that!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Awoke to a balmy 34° in SWFL :shock: Virtually nobody here owns proper outerwear for temps like that.
But no snow :dance:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

How to check what areas are impacted by the winter storm without actually checking the radar.
Gmap-Screenshot 2022-02-02 085210-2.jpg
Gmap-Screenshot 2022-02-02 085210-2.jpg (116.88 KiB) Viewed 916 times
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”