KY man convicted in federal murder case after state pardon

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

KY man convicted in federal murder case after state pardon

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

KY man convicted in federal murder case after state pardon sentenced to 39.5 years

A Kentucky man pardoned in a state homicide case but later convicted in federal court over the same murder has been sentenced to 39 years and six months in prison. Patrick Baker, 43, was sentenced in federal court in London on Tuesday in a case that caused an uproar in state politics. (The decision was among hundreds of pardons and commutations that Bevin, a Republican, issued at the end of his term, but the pardon for Baker was one of several that caused bitter controversy.)

Baker’s lawyers had argued in a motion he should not get a sentence of more than 19 years, the same as he had in state court in the earlier case, but U.S. District Judge Claria Horn Boom rejected that position.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives opened a new investigation of Baker, resulting in an indictment accusing him of murdering Mills while committing a drug crime.

Baker’s attorneys argued the case violated Baker’s right not to be punished twice for the same crime — called double jeopardy — but Boom rejected the argument. Boom said the law allowed two different sovereign governments — the U.S. and the state — to prosecute a person based on the same conduct, and that the federal indictment alleged a different crime than the state charges. The pardon for Baker was not an issue in the federal case. Boom ruled that attorneys could not mention his state conviction or pardon.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/cri ... rylink=cpy
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Baker Federal Conviction murder

Post by Foggy »

Needs a spiffier thread title. I'm gonna suggest "After state pardon for murder, man sentenced to 39 years in federal court."

Yeah, there will be complaints that it's too long. :oopsy: So shorten it already! :lol:

Now I'm gonna read the story, find out why he got pardoned in the first place. :?:
Edit: Nope, I am not turning off my ad blocker to read the story. Oh well.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: Baker Federal Conviction murder

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:36 pm Needs a spiffier thread title. I'm gonna suggest "After state pardon for murder, man sentenced to 39 years in federal court."

Yeah, there will be complaints that it's too long. :oopsy: So shorten it already! :lol:

Now I'm gonna read the story, find out why he got pardoned in the first place. :?:
Edit: Nope, I am not turning off my ad blocker to read the story. Oh well.
Would you be surprised to learn the the convicts' brother and sister-in-law held a fundraiser for the ex-gov to the tune on 21K to pay off campaign debt??? :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: KY man convicted in federal murder case after state pardon

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd be more surprised if they hadn't.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”