Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fashion!

SuzieC
Verified:

Re: Fashion!

Post by SuzieC »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:37 am Fashion gurus:

The appropriate attire for cataract surgery is a short sleeved t-shirt or open neck blouse/shirt and long woolie underoos. :whistle:
My ensemble for a dental procedure yesterday: ratty black t-shirt, loose black cotton sweater, baggy black sweatpants. No buttons or zippers for medical procedures.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/pict ... 35d9831ba3

I like this one; otherwise, I am totally underwhelmed. Most don't even look comfortable. I know that's not what it's about.

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Love the matching mask.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I liked Elle Fanning's look. Kerry Washington was stunning but that was more of an Oscar than a SAG gown. Most of the participants were dressed more casually. I call them participants because I don't recognize the vast majority and don't know whether they're actors, screenwriters, or producers.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:06 pm Love the matching mask.
Yes!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I liked this dress and the smiling woman wearing it. Youth personified.
Saniyya-Sidney-Red-Carpet-Arrival-SAG-Awards-2022.jpg
Saniyya-Sidney-Red-Carpet-Arrival-SAG-Awards-2022.jpg (246.11 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Janina-Gavankar-Red-Carpet-Arrival-SAG-Awards-2022.jpg
Janina-Gavankar-Red-Carpet-Arrival-SAG-Awards-2022.jpg (101.12 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh my! Very Grace Kelly.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:49 pm

I like this one; otherwise, I am totally underwhelmed. Most don't even look comfortable. I know that's not what it's about.
Dame Helen looks uncomfortable in this dress. It looks as if it's supposed to be asymmetrical because it seems that the right shoulder width is wider than the left shoulder width, but it looks lopsided and the bunching of the fabric under her left arm makes it look really bad.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Azastan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:12 pm Dame Helen looks uncomfortable in this dress. It looks as if it's supposed to be asymmetrical because it seems that the right shoulder width is wider than the left shoulder width, but it looks lopsided and the bunching of the fabric under her left arm makes it look really bad.
The flower on her shoulder was not just a pin-on corsage. It's a whole shoulder decoration consisting of the flower and decorative / anchoring ribbon. The size and weight of the decoration end up dragging down the shoulder on that side.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hate it when that happens.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:47 pm

The flower on her shoulder was not just a pin-on corsage. It's a whole shoulder decoration consisting of the flower and decorative / anchoring ribbon. The size and weight of the decoration end up dragging down the shoulder on that side.
That's disastrous designing. If you look at the neckline, she's apparently wearing a strapless bra, or no bra. But her left shoulder is exposed enough that you know she's not wearing a regular bra. The weight of the decoration has pulled her outfit's neckline off center over to the left, and the cap of her left shoulder has collapsed, bunching the fabric AND causing her outfit to slump on the left side of her torso, making the bust dart look saggy on her left side.

Really a horribly executed outfit.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Odd. She had no trouble keeping ill fitting clothing on her shoulder in 1965.

Vogue Helen Mirren Archive
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:47 pm
Azastan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:12 pm Dame Helen looks uncomfortable in this dress. It looks as if it's supposed to be asymmetrical because it seems that the right shoulder width is wider than the left shoulder width, but it looks lopsided and the bunching of the fabric under her left arm makes it look really bad.
That is exactly what it looks like to me, too.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:28 pm Odd. She had no trouble keeping ill fitting clothing on her shoulder in 1965.

Vogue Helen Mirren Archive
That is gorgeous. But also that dress doesn't have a heavy flower thingy that is positioned in such a way as to cause the weight of it to pull the dress down the shoulder. I agree the pink dress is a nice design except the flower thingy that goes up to the shoulder should have been designed differently. I do quite a bit of sewing, It's one thing to design on paper, but you really have to think about what is going to happen when you actually put it together.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m sorry, she looks like a porcelain doll like my aunt collected. Bubble gum pink ugh. And what exactly is that thing on her head? A snood? A headband? Pink matter?

The only things I really liked were Elle Fanning’s trouser outfit and the bright yellow one by the Indian designer.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Apparently there was a Critics Choice Awards program this evening and I stumbled on People magazine's photos of the arrivals. For some reason, I just don't have patience today for idiotic outfits and there are so many unbecoming dresses. Judge for yourself -

https://people.com/movies/critics-choic ... ls-photos/
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:14 am Apparently there was a Critics Choice Awards program this evening and I stumbled on People magazine's photos of the arrivals. For some reason, I just don't have patience today for idiotic outfits and there are so many unbecoming dresses. Judge for yourself -

Cut-outs, architectural details and taffeta seem to be the words of the day for those dresses. I'll be glad when the fad of the 6 foot long sleeves and trains goes away in the next couple of years too.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lady Gaga's dress at that Critic's Choice awards show is absolutely AWFUL. I can't save off the picture, but this link should take you straight to it: https://people.com/movies/critics-choic ... f9e2b6ab61
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Ask and Ye Shall Receive....

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thanks!

Usually she either looks really good or really deliberately weird, but its pretty rare IMO that she just flat out looks bad, and here, that's what she's accomplished. The black titcovers (for lack of a better word - they certainly don't constitute a bra or bodice....) make her chest look deflated, and the super-wide V-neck isn't flattering at all. I DO like the black lace shoulder/sleeve/neck piece - that's pretty cool looking, but it's all downhill from there.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:14 am Apparently there was a Critics Choice Awards program this evening and I stumbled on People magazine's photos of the arrivals. For some reason, I just don't have patience today for idiotic outfits and there are so many unbecoming dresses. Judge for yourself -

I managed to see only about 40 outfits total, since my DSL takes forever to load. It would have taken about an hour to see everything!

What is with the pinkish beige colour? It's horrible in photos, can't look that much better in person. About the only good thing I have to say is that at least not every woman was wearing a dress with a slit up to her hip bone.
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

Gaga looked a heck of a lot better dressed at last nights BAFTA awards

https://www.whowhatwear.com/baftas-red- ... 022/slide7

Apart from the ridiculous platform boots.....
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Yeah, it was looking really nice until I hit the boots :D But she does look a Hel of a lot better there. Nice to know she hasn't completely lost it!
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

However, it must be stated, the girls "girls" need some decent support. Gravity is never a friend past the age of the mid 20's alas......Something appropriate from Rigby & Peller I would suggest.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”