Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

You never know, something important could happen.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, if you are writing a post, the color wheel is immediately to the left of the box for choosing text size on the top row of buttons. A circle with several colors, and when you click on it you will see a color chart. Select some text, click on a color, the code looks like this:

Code: Select all

[color=#BF0040]Select some text, click on a color, the code looks like this:[/color]
And the text is whatever color:

Select some text, click on a color, the code looks like this:

That's not highlighted with a contrasting color, so we click the highlight button too.

Select some text, click on a color, the code looks like this:

OMG, this is more fun than making mud pies, but I have stuff to do. See y'all tonight at the Virtual Meetup! :wave:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:58 am Yeah, if you are writing a post, the color wheel is immediately to the left of the box for choosing text size.... :snippity:
THe "wheel" is only present in form of that icon. At least on Windy Win based machines the "Wheel" is shown as a matrix of color squares to chose from. It might by that on the Fruit Of Eve machines color selection might be the actual color wheely thingy. But I have no such fruit to munch on.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

This may not be the best color to use on fonts.

Nor is this probably but maybe with the right highlighter.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

See,now THAT is how to have more fun than making mud pies. Northland10 wins the internets AGAIN.

:cheer2:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Good news, bad news, good news ... :bored:

Good news: ONCE AGAIN, for those of the 16 of you who use it, X-Creamy has been updated, from version 1.2.6 to 1.2.7.

Oh man, but bad news: This means that all 16 of you will be kicked off using X-Creamy again, and I will have to fix the logo and the Active Topics link again, and I'm going to wait until next Sunday when I do regular forum maintenance chores, so I don't disrupt the database none.

Oh man some more, but other good news: To make up for you poor, poor shlubs who have to put up with an old version of X-Creamy THAT WORKS PERFECTLY MIND YOU for a week, I installed a new one called Reds, which I thought looked kind of cool. Oh yeah, and I ditched the CleanSilver and the Orange one, nobody was using them.

TBH, I am loving Hexagon a/k/a Orange is the New Black. LMK's red text looks awesome on that one.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

"Reds" is very nice (says this long-time X-Creamy user). Might be a winner. Gonna use it for a while and see. Thanks, Foggy! :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah well I want to emphasize, there's nothing broken in X-Creamy, but if they issue a new version, I will update it at the time of my next scheduled maintenance.

And yes, the Reds one kind of grabbed my eyebones. I'm really not looking to maintain 20 different board styles (I mentioned, many forum admins have only one), but I noticed that two other styles were not being used by anyone, so I dropped those two and added one, which is my kind of math.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I always check out new board styles when you add them (thank you for being such an awesome dick tater) but I always go back to X-Creamy because it's the easiest on my eye bones.
Image Image Image Image
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:52 pm I always check out new board styles when you add them (thank you for being such an awesome dick tater) but I always go back to X-Creamy because it's the easiest on my eye bones.
I've always done that as well. Now I'm trying out Graand, which except for the dark red isn't too bad. Seriously, the people who design these styles need UI and UAT.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:52 pm I always check out new board styles when you add them (thank you for being such an awesome dick tater) but I always go back to X-Creamy because it's the easiest on my eye bones.
Same here. My X-Creamy didn't cause me to get kicked off today, but usually when changes are made I do have to log back in. Huh.

I think I will try Red just to see what it's about, but I have a feeling I will be back to X-Creamy.

As usual, Foggy, thank you so much for all the work you do to allow us this place to talk, argue, love each other, yell at each other, and hug each other. :bighug: :bighug:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:01 pm My X-Creamy didn't cause me to get kicked off today ...
But it will cause you to get kicked off next Sunday, if I remember to update X-Creamy then. Which I will, but then like you say, after I update a style it kicks everybody who uses that style off that style until you select it again. Which is a pain in the butt, but I have to totally uninstall the old version, which boots you back to the default (prosilver).

Anyway, orange is the new black, the end.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:06 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:01 pm My X-Creamy didn't cause me to get kicked off today ...
But it will cause you to get kicked off next Sunday, if I remember to update X-Creamy then. Which I will, but then like you say, after I update a style it kicks everybody who uses that style off that style until you select it again. Which is a pain in the butt, but I have to totally uninstall the old version, which boots you back to the default (prosilver).

Anyway, orange is the new black, the end.
Ah. I misread. I thought I read that it was updated this morning and then also was going to be updated next week.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No emergency, and better to do it when everybody is off the board, that way I don't take a chance of messing up the DB.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:yeahthat:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I have Dark Reader on, but I tried X-Creamy, and I think I'll leave it there. I can read the highlighted material better, and the tweets seem to load better.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:57 pm
I've always done that as well. Now I'm trying out Graand, which except for the dark red isn't too bad. Seriously, the people who design these styles need UI and UAT.
I actually rather like the dark red, but I'm weird (Graand matches my car). Red (the style) is interesting and nice but I did notice on my phone that it was having some collision of the post number and dates so decided to go back to Graand.

I actually tried going back to ProSilver but decided I didn't like it this time and went back to Graand.

Now, if I was doing a PowerPoint for others' consumption, I would likely avoid the red whether it was dark or not, unless it was for Pentecost, Palm Sunday, or some feast of a martyr.
Edit: For Foggy's sake, I will point out that I am not beholden to a theme so if he needs to dump one I am on, I can live with it. I tend to bounce around from time to time anyway. My eyes can handle anything, though I would prefer not to be stuck with having to use a dark theme. I am not ready for that yet.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

This morning, in addition to Sunday morning forum maintenance chores ... y'know, get up at 5:30, milk the servers, sprinkle feed on the serial buses and the trunk lines, fill the magnetic bottle, stuff like that ... anyway, I also updated the Carbon and Graand New board styles (aka themes), which booted anyone using those styles off and back to Prosilver.

It's for your own good. :fingerwag:

So now you have to go back to the UCP --> board preferences and set it up again, which is like work, maybe as many as five clicks before you collapse at your desk. :faint:

... and yeah, that means we lost the logo and the Active Topics links, every time I update a style I have to go back in -- very carefully -- and change it to add our logo and the Active Topics link we all love so much. Now THAT'S almost like work, so I'll get to it when the spirit moves me. Probably reel soon.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Don't forget to drain the server electron glands. If you see them scooting around rubbing their butts on the carpet, they need their electron glands emptied. It's disgusting, but it needs do'in. Wear gloves and a face mask (which de rigueur these days anyways).
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, rather than install caching plugins on all my WordPress sites, I moved them to Cloudflare. And spent a lot of last week learning how to configure the Cloudflare plugin for WordPress. I've had a Cloudflare account forever, so long I don't even remember why I stopped using it lo these many moons ago. But now I have just enough knowledge about it to be dangerous.

On the bright side, that seems - for now - to have solved the problem of Fogbow becoming unreachable for half an hour every day. But I'm still working on it.

We have a WordPress site on Fogbow, of course, on our home page. I gotta work on that. :blackeye:

But apparently Cloudflare and our forum software (phpBB) do not play well together, because Cloudflare wants to serve you a web page that it cached (stored) on its servers, which means you can't see anybody else's posts (or your own posts) until Cloudflare gets around to refreshing its cache.

So until I know EZACKLY how to add JUST THE WORDPRESS FILES to Cloudflare without any caching of the forum, I will refrain from fixing what ain't broke.

BUT as always, more will be revealed.

And to bill_g, we got hit with a glutinous mass of entropic dissolution, boy, you bet I had to drain the electron glands then! :o
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Pro tip: Swifter dusters are really good for cleaning up the mess. They have a latent positive charge which will attract the negatively charged free electrons.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, I use a somewhat simpler approach. If any of my electrons are misbehaving, I just cut off an electrical cord and plug it in. :twisted:

Sucks those electrons in kicking and screaming. :batting:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Simply installing a larger bit bucket relief valve on the hypo-hyperperlator should ease the entropic dissolution issues in a very cost effective manner.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You had me at "hypo-hyperperlator". :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

My covfefe requires a "hypo-hyperpercolator" heated with electron spin :roll:
Lansdowne

Post by Lansdowne »

Foggy, you will also have to be ready to move the whole caboodle onto the new Quantum Internet which for some reason (it says on YouTube so must be true) is connected with NESARA and GESARA and the revaluation of the Iraqi Dinar and the concrete wall round the White House and the Canadian Truckers and Elon Musk's Starlink satellites and Nikola Tesla's hidden free energy technology and Med Beds and of course the Mass Arrests including the heads of Big Tech and the privately owned Federal Reserve and the destruction of the whole existing Internet by the Space Force!!

Normally such major technological changes would take years if not decades. But with the Stable Genius in charge and General Flynn looking after the policy side, we are assured it can all be completed within hours.

So please make sure there are BACKUPS. Splunk logs are all very well but backups are what we need.

Return to “Announcements”