Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

Lani

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by Lani »

Growing up, I ate a lot of eastern oysters from the Chesapeake Bay. YUM! Then I had a severe allergic attack one time. I stopped eating them for over a decade, but I decided to try eating them again. No reaction, so I made up for the lost years!

However, Hawaii didn't have fresh oysters. Finally, someone figured out how to raise adult oysters here. It turns out that oysters love our ancient fishponds!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The New York Times
@nytimes
·
10m
French dressing will no longer be regulated by the FDA, the agency said. Since 1950, the federal government has defined French dressing by a rigid set of standards to protect consumers from “economic adulteration” or food fraud.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We deserve more': Grocery workers lament extra work, lack of hazard pay as omicron decimates workforce
Retail workers say they are flailing as cases rise and people call out sick nearly every day.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... d_ms_tw_ma
Kirby Nardo, a spokesperson for Albertsons, which owns Safeway, told NBC News “the nationwide surge in omicron cases has put a strain on businesses.”

“We appreciate our associates ongoing commitment to serving customers,” he said. “We are doing everything we can to keep our associates safe and ensure stores are appropriately staffed.”

Some retailers have rolled back policies introduced earlier in the pandemic, including enforced social distancing and mask wearing, and companies such as Rite Aid dropped hazard pay. At the same time, grocery and retail trade groups are reluctant to support widespread vaccination requirements across their work forces. Unionized Kroger workers in Denver walked off the job Wednesday after talks with the company broke down about increased pay, benefits and safety.

“Employees want to feel safe; they want to feel protected,” Debbie Berkowitz, a labor fellow at Georgetown University, told NBC News. “This is going to be with us for a long time, so employers need to change how they do things instead of fighting science.”

On the ground, workers say they are flailing as cases rise and people call out sick nearly every day. Mike Hendrick, a Shoprite worker in Shelton, Connecticut, told NBC News that last Saturday he worked collecting shopping carts in the parking lot from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. to cover for a colleague who was out sick with Covid, and another who was quarantining after being exposed. With both workers out, it left Hendrick alone to gather carts for the day. The store had to pull another worker from the store to help, he said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I am making my famous cheese dip and bierocks for tomorrow's Chiefs win over the squeelers
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:14 pm I am making my famous cheese dip and bierocks for tomorrow's Chiefs win over the squeelers
Watch it there. :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

you are right. I should say HOPEFUL win
tek

Post by tek »

Had to go look up bierocks.

Oh my.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:53 pm you are right. I should say HOPEFUL win
Actually, I’m not really a football fan. Very rare here. Even Ben R said the Chiefs will probably win. It would be a hoot if the Steelers did win after all the hoopla. 😜
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:14 pm I am making my famous cheese dip and bierocks for tomorrow's Chiefs win over the squeelers
Bierocks look similar to Runzas, which I remember from our days in Nebraska.Have you heard of those?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

no I haven't but I am going to look them up
Attachments
bierocks.jpg
bierocks.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve found a place nearby that has FABULOUS jambon-beurre baguettes and I am gonna get so fat!

There’s a French bakery in Claremont. Not only the sammiches but pastries! Breads! And sweet, sweet bouquets of pale, pastel flowers.

Sigh. Happy camper, me.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We have several French bakeries near us where the owners went to school in Paris. One of them is near the house where my 12-year-old granddaughter was born, so from an early age she grew up eating croissants, coquettes, quiche, etc., made by a fabulous French pastry shop. You cannot believe how picky she is over anything French pastry. :biggrin:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The French do food exactly right.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:07 am I’ve found a place nearby that has FABULOUS jambon-beurre baguettes and I am gonna get so fat!

There’s a French bakery in Claremont. Not only the sammiches but pastries! Breads! And sweet, sweet bouquets of pale, pastel flowers.

Sigh. Happy camper, me.
Sounds wonderful - Enjoy!!!!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:12 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:07 am I’ve found a place nearby that has FABULOUS jambon-beurre baguettes and I am gonna get so fat!

Sigh. Happy camper, me.
Sounds wonderful - Enjoy!!!!
Diabetes... cha, cha, cha! :dance:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

And they're doing flags wrong. The footnote is identifying the Sweden flag as Danish, and the Denmark flag as Swedish.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

This looks kinda tasty, except for the half cup of salt dumped into the rice/egg mix:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Anyone know why?

Reuters@ReutersThe U.S. decision to halt imports of Mexican avocados is putting pressure on restaurant owners already weary of pandemic restrictions and supply chain issues
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

in above wrote:The U.S. temporarily halted the import of avocados from Mexico after a U.S. official safety plant inspector received a threat via a phone call.
Industrial sabotage. Really overreacting. This is really no reason to stop all import. There must be other inspectors doing their work and approving products that can be released for export to the US.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:56 pm This looks kinda tasty, except for the half cup of salt dumped into the rice/egg mix:

https://youtu.be/DEyskuDemx0
I think think the culinary performance is impressive.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:56 pm This looks kinda tasty, except for the half cup of salt dumped into the rice/egg mix:

https:// youtu.be/DEyskuDemx0
Considering that this is Korea aka Far East I guess that is a portion of MSG = monosodium glutamate. I have observed Thais using the stuff generously like this. Considering that their taste buds are killed by hot spicy chilis they need to raise the inherent taste level of other ingredients.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mexico’s avocados face fallout from violence, deforestation

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-avoca ... ce=Twitter
With clever Super Bowl ads, an irresistible fruit and apparently insatiable appetite from U.S. consumers, Mexico’s avocado producers have so far been able to separate avocados from the conflictive landscape that produces them — at least until a threat to a U.S. agricultural inspector essentially shut down their exports last week.

But as producers continue to suffer extortion from organized crime, and loggers continue to chop down pine forests to clear land for avocado orchards, another threat looms: Campaigns for greener competition and perhaps even a boycott.

“They (avocados) are a very large portion of either their country or regional economy and, you know, banning them entirely would not be advantageous” for already struggling local farmers, said Gareth Elliott, a New Jersey restaurant manager who runs the Facebook page “Blood Avocados.” “But if there were more environmental studies and they were grown in a responsible manner, we could solve this together.”

So far, the association of Mexican avocado producers and packers has taken little action to solve the problems, nor has its U.S. promotional arm, Avocados from Mexico, even as growers in Mexico report having to pay thousands of dollars in protection payments to drug gangs for each acre of orchard.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Cartel avocados? Suspending imports isn’t the answer to problem
As much as a fifth of the price American consumers pay for Mexican avocados goes to extortion payments to armed criminal groups.

https://t.co/Ai5AHkVUvu
The fruit is one of several industries that organized criminal groups in Michoacán — the only Mexican state authorized to export to the United States — have terrorized and extorted over the past two decades.

“We’ve been seeing for the last 15 to 20 years a mutation of how conflict is fought in a way that places civilians increasingly in the crossfire of these foods,” said Falko Ernst, an analyst with the conflict resolution organization International Crisis Group, in an interview.

Ernst said that in addition to illegal drugs, criminal organizations in Michoacán and elsewhere in Mexico have taken to extorting legal enterprises such as lime production and iron mining as an easy way to make money.

Fostered by a culture of rampant state corruption, collusion and impunity, extortion has become a convenient business model for criminal groups.
Protection racket for avocados. We now have synthetic meat. Maybe we need synthetic avocados.

Return to “General Stuff”