Hijack This Thread

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Very confusing. 15 years ago, Means was a 20yo. He wasn't a citizen then (when did he get citizenship??) and that conviction then (the child in the stroller) should have had immigration bounce him after his sentence was completed. I've seen immigrants bounced for way far less. :mad2: Haitians get special treatment, like Cubans?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:37 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:16 pm 6-year-old girl fatally shot by relative over spilled water, police say
A 6-year-old Texas girl was fatally shot by a relative following an argument over spilled water, according to the NBC affiliate in Houston.
Seriously, what was the relative wacked-out on to shoot a 6 year old over spilled water? smh
Because hickory sticks are old-fashioned in our era of the gun.
Largo al factotum.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Well, our Sunday Dinner had a sad ending. Our 97yo Army Air Corp nurse dinner guest left in an ambulance.

In the early afternoon every Saturday, I check in with our guests to see if they will be attending, need/want anything special, maybe bringing a friend or relative, etc. etc, so we know how many places to set. And our war nurse didn't answer her phone. And she didn't answer later. And she didn't answer the door. And nobody had seen her since Wednesday. And her door was locked, but the kitchen light was on. And the neighbor with her key wasn't home.

At dinner we all kinda looked at our food worried about her, and then unanimously got up and walked to her house. The geezer squad was going to break in if we had to, to do a welfare check. This time I found her back door unlocked. I hadn't checked that before. She didn't answer when I called out, but I knew we would all be embarrased because her kids had taken her someplace. As I walked to the front door to let everyone know we were being silly, I found her in her chair unresponsive.

I let folks in, and then the big debate started on "call the kids" or "call 911". She's alive, but she's not waking up. Her son answered, and asked we don't do anything until he got here. That was a pensive half hour with our retired bank clerk livid we weren't doing anything. She had managed to wake her, but she still wasn't very awake. She drank a bit of water with some assistance. A couple of us noticed her face was asymmetrical, her eyes didn't track together, her speech was weak, and she didn't speak in complete sentences.

Her son arrived. The bank clerk let him have it with both barrels, and stormed out. The rest of us knew she was afraid this was her fate, calmed him down, and advised him to call 911. As we waited for the rescue, we gathered her meds, found her purse, and put together an overnight bag. Bank clerk returned much calmer when the ambulance arrived. She took the house key so she could feed the cat. We waved our friend goodbye. Then we traded phone numbers with her son, and wished them both well as he headed off to the hospital.

Nobody wanted to finish dinner. I cleaned it all up, and will have plenty of leftovers this week.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sad, but I'm glad you got in. I hope she's okay.

This kid of thing has happened a couple of times in my family, not ending so well.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 pm Well, our Sunday Dinner had a sad ending. Our 97yo Army Air Corp nurse dinner guest left in an ambulance.

In the early afternoon every Saturday, I check in with our guests to see if they will be attending, need/want anything special, maybe bringing a friend or relative, etc. etc, so we know how many places to set. And our war nurse didn't answer her phone. And she didn't answer later.

We waved our friend goodbye.

Nobody wanted to finish dinner. I cleaned it all up, and will have plenty of leftovers this week.
I hope for you she will be ok.
And if she has to die, may it be peaceful and easy.
Ninety seven is a decent innings.
Thank you for being there.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

SlimSloSlider wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:09 pm
bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 pm Well, our Sunday Dinner had a sad ending. Our 97yo Army Air Corp nurse dinner guest left in an ambulance.

In the early afternoon every Saturday, I check in with our guests to see if they will be attending, need/want anything special, maybe bringing a friend or relative, etc. etc, so we know how many places to set. And our war nurse didn't answer her phone. And she didn't answer later.

We waved our friend goodbye.

I hope for you she will be ok.
And if she has to die, may it be peaceful and easy.
Ninety seven is a decent innings.
Thank you for being there.
Our thoughts exactly. For some of us, she's old enough to be our mother. And for others, their older sister. She's done well. Led a good life. If it is her time, let her slip away without suffering.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 pm Sad, but I'm glad you got in. I hope she's okay.

This kid of thing has happened a couple of times in my family, not ending so well.
Yeah. There is that. At 97, and having heard her say "no extraordinary measures" several times to us in the past, we wanted to call 911, but we also knew she wanted to pass. We also realized she may have been in that chair for at least a day if not more because none of us check in on each other every day. We're an independent bunch of cranks. So, if she was still breathing, and warm to the touch, waiting another half hour for her son probably won't make a difference.

This was bank clerk's angst: we were letting her die. But, we knew that was her wish. We can make her comfortable. We can call her son. We'll let him have the final say and go forward with that. She was appalled. But, maybe bank clerk's view will change in 20 years when she catches up with war nurse.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... -1.5958406
After a 90-minute staredown with first responders and a crowd of curious onlookers on a road near the north shore of P.E.I. Sunday, an 800-pound wayward seal finally turned around and began to "hump, hump, hump" the half-kilometre or so back to sea.

It's at least the third time police on P.E.I. have responded to a seal that made its way onto a road far from the ocean.

"They can move pretty quickly," said Ron McConnell, president of the P.E.I. Emergency Animal Response Team, who was at the scene Saturday along with DFO officers, RCMP and Tyne Valley firefighters.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Lani

Post by Lani »

This is why I can't retire here.

Median cost of Kaua‘i home nearly $1M
https://www.thegardenisland.com/2021/03 ... nearly-1m/

This is why we have a large house-less population as well. I'm lucky. But I can't live here when I retire. I'm going to buy a condo near my son in Honolulu in the near future. For one thing, I can afford it, but also I need to be in his district so I can vote for him in the next election. (Andy knows him. He's a great leader in ground campaigns. Now he's the one running.)

Seriously, this is a crisis here. Renters are being dumped while their homes are now listed for a gazillion bucks. There is no way for life to continue here without housing for for low and average workers. It's reaching crisis levels.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:51 am This is why I can't retire here.

This is why we have a large house-less population as well. I'm lucky. But I can't live here when I retire.
That's a bit sad. Your place, from the photo(s) you've posted in the past, seems cozy/comfortable.

Did you ever consider coming to the mainland? Much more affordable options in the long term of retirement?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:51 am This is why I can't retire here.

This is why we have a large house-less population as well. I'm lucky. But I can't live here when I retire. I'm going to buy a condo near my son in Honolulu in the near future. For one thing, I can afford it, but also I need to be in his district so I can vote for him in the next election. (Andy knows him. He's a great leader in ground campaigns. Now he's the one running.)

Seriously, this is a crisis here. Renters are being dumped while their homes are now listed for a gazillion bucks. There is no way for life to continue here without housing for for low and average workers. It's reaching crisis levels.

:dance: :clap:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

A former neighbor of mine back in MA:
https://www.siwi.org/prizes/stockholmwa ... es/2021-2/
Sandra Postel is named Stockholm Water Prize Laureate 2021 for groundbreaking work that has changed how many people view water. She was one of the first to warn of a global water crisis and to call for the conservation of water-based ecosystems. Today, she inspires decision-makers to find new solutions to water scarcity, climate change and biodiversity loss.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

War nurse update from family members: a CAT scan taken that day is inconclusive. An MRI was schduled, but they have not received the results.

She was taken to our not-so-favorite hospital where Mrs was treated like a silly old woman for slipping on the ice last month. So, it's not entirely surprising the care our friend is receiving seems lacking.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

So she seems to be doing okay?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
This fisherman got creative to save a boy floating on a block of ice in the middle of a river in Ukraine
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story ... 969768002/
BOISE, Idaho — Montana's governor was given a warning by state wildlife officials after killing a radio-collared wolf near Yellowstone National Park in February without first taking a mandated trapping education course.

Gov. Greg Gianforte trapped and shot the wolf about 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of the park on a ranch owned by a Sinclair Broadcasting Group executive, Boise State Public Radio reported.

It's legal to kill wolves in Montana with a license, but trappers must first complete a three-hour online course that includes instruction on how to take the animals ethically and lawfully.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yep.

Suez Canal blocked by huge container ship
Several attempts to refloat the 400m-long Ever Given have failed, leading to a tailback of other ships

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -evergreen

The Ever Given is one of the largest container ships on the planet and can carry over 20,000 20 foot ISO container equivalents. The current load is going to Rotterdam from China. The Suez Canal is completely blocked in both directions.

Big ship-

Size: 400m long / 59m wide
Gross tonnage: 219,079
Capacity: 20,388 TEUs (20ft container equivalents).

Meanwhile all shipping between South Asia/East Asia/Persian Gulf and Mediterranean/Europe is halted.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:09 am So she seems to be doing okay?
Good morning Andy - No. We all got calls from family members late yesterday afternoon explaining the MRI confirmed she had a stroke. They are moving her to The Marquis today. It wasn't clear if she's made an improvement since Sunday. Our retired football player was stayed there twice post knee surguries. He loves them, and thinks she is in good hands. Perhaps we'll be able to visit her.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Courtesy of Mike Dunford.

“AN ENTIRE GAME INSIDE OF A FONT”
https://hackaday.com/2021/03/22/an-enti ... of-a-font/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:27 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:09 am So she seems to be doing okay?
Good morning Andy - No. We all got calls from family members late yesterday afternoon explaining the MRI confirmed she had a stroke. They are moving her to The Marquis today. It wasn't clear if she's made an improvement since Sunday. Our retired football player was stayed there twice post knee surguries. He loves them, and thinks she is in good hands. Perhaps we'll be able to visit her.
I'm glad they found what's wrong. Wishing her the best, which is whatever she hopes for.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ship in blocked convoy in Suez Canal on move, say source and witness

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-egyp ... ce=twitter
The first ship from a convoy that had been blocked by a stranded vessel in the Suez Canal is on the move, indicating a resumption of traffic in the waterway, a shipping source and witness said on Wednesday.

Port agent GAC said the stranded ship, Ever Given, had been partially refloated and moved alongside the canal bank.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:confuzzled:
Why do all the stories name the boat EVER GIVEN when it clearly says EVERGREEN on the ship itself?

Return to “General Stuff”