Weather Alerts

qbawl

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by qbawl »

FiveAcres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:16 am
qbawl wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:12 pm I watched the NHL winter classic held in Minneapolis @ Target Field (I think that is the name). The temperature at game time was -9 with a wind chill of -25F. They were heating the ice.
I am trying to figure out how one heats ice without it turning into water.
With the caveat that what I say in this post is based on the way it was done in the early '60s:

The cooling elements under the arena floor pumped brine at below freezing temperatures to keep the ice stable in what was a relatively warm building, but since we are dealing with salt water the temperature could be raised to much higher ranges. We never had to do that in the normal course of events but I remember one night after a hockey game we were doing a setup for a circus starting the next day. The setup included ice out, scrub and dry the floor, dasher boards out, and a base of dirt laid on the floor before the site was handed off to the circus peeps (the riggers / stagehands). It was late in the season and the ice was fairly thick 2½", so toward the end of the third period we started heating the brine to speed up the ice-out.
Why bother warming the ice up at all. Soft ice tends to be a little slower than 'good' ice but it does hold an edge a little better and I am told that figure skaters prefer the ice a little soft. In the normal range of indoor surfaces there is really not that much difference and the figure skater and hockey players pretty much can deal with what the conditions are. Long track speed skaters do prefer a surface that is a on the hard side. Hard ice can be an issue though as it tends to be a little brittle. If it gets cold and hard enough in theory it becomes very hard to skate on. This would never happen indoors but I suppose it could occur outside and it was pretty damned cold last night in Minneapolis. (there is a theory of why ice skating works that involves melting the ice beneath the edges not sure it is credible)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

We’re expecting a bit of snow here - 4-6” in the lower elevations - we migh get more here on the mountain top. We shall see. Meanwhile, I’m running low on beer, so off to the store…
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Priorities. :kiss:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

85 was our high yesterday.

It's snowing now.
filly

Post by filly »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:42 pm 85 was our high yesterday.

It's snowing now.
Same high here yesterday. It’s 43 now thank god and no precipitation cuz TEXAS POWER GRID.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

They're calling for 10 inches of snow here tomorrow. If we get it it will be the most snow we've had at one time in years. I filled the 10 gal water cooler in case we lose power, (we have an electric well pump) brought over a load of firewood from the wood shed and brought the sleds and snow shovel up from the basement. I'm going to be ready to go out and play in it! :biggrin: :thumbsup:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

We were promised that the snow would be melting, and that we'd be warming up. Instead, the PNW got walloped again by snow depending upon location!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Washington DC. A lot of stuff shut down today. This storm missed us. :dance: We are supposed to get a few inches on Wednesday and Thursday, but it shouldn't be like this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... m-warning/
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My absolute all-time favorite New Years Eve was spent at DuPont Circle, in a blizzard. I was with the guy I was dating, Neal, visiting his sister. His sister was one of the founders of the hippie rag The Washington Free Press. They lived as a collective in a townhouse on N St.

Around 11:30 several of us went outside to see what we could see. We wandered down to the Circle. A couple of people were there. I don’t remember how it started, but a snowball fight broke out. Neighbors heard the noise, came to check it out, and joined one side or t’other.

Traffic was non-existent except for a bus. He lumbered by, but then he parked out of the way and everyone onboard joined us.

It was a blast.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Not sure how deep it is but it's deeper than my boots are tall. It's really wet heavy snow, lots of trees and branches down.
IMG_9710.jpg
IMG_9710.jpg (79.17 KiB) Viewed 560 times
IMG_9712.jpg
IMG_9712.jpg (73.56 KiB) Viewed 560 times
IMG_9708.jpg
IMG_9708.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 560 times
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:31 pm Image

Washington DC. A lot of stuff shut down today. This storm missed us. :dance: We are supposed to get a few inches on Wednesday and Thursday, but it shouldn't be like this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... m-warning/
Sometimes when it's pretty awful outside, it's really pretty to look at.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:56 pm Sometimes when it's pretty awful outside, it's really pretty to look at.
The prettiest snow is the snow which sticks to branches. It makes a lovely picture.

Unfortunately, it also brings down tree branches and electric power lines. It's also the slipperiest for driving on.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:00 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:56 pm Sometimes when it's pretty awful outside, it's really pretty to look at.
The prettiest snow is the snow which sticks to branches. It makes a lovely picture.

Unfortunately, it also brings down tree branches and electric power lines. It's also the slipperiest for driving on.
Oh, I know.

Spring and Winter -
Attachments
246-1.jpg
246-1.jpg (307.96 KiB) Viewed 539 times
196-1.jpg
196-1.jpg (258.53 KiB) Viewed 539 times
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

And then there's white out. Taken from the same position as the winter photo. Things were a bit sideways that day, but not bad enough to chain up.
Attachments
052-1.jpg
052-1.jpg (135.43 KiB) Viewed 535 times
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

It's finally starting to clear up though power is not likely to be restored until tomorrow. It is quite beautiful though even if it is a pain in the ass.
IMG_9727.jpg
IMG_9727.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 526 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely window to look out at the lovely view!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

WADOT closed SR14 from Washougal to White Salmon to clear the tunnels which are many. It's a great road along the Columbia River in the Summer if you've got the time. Very picturesque, winding, and windy, with lots of narrow low ceiling tunnels. Don't forget the land slides and falling rocks with resulting battle scarred roadway to test your suspension. An absolute joy to drive with good brakes and tires. Not so much with a manual transmission.

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

In addition to the interstate also being closed from Troutdale to The Dalles (essentially parallel to the closure of SR14 on the Washington side), it is also closed from Pendelton to Ontario OR (Idaho border). That's only a couple hundred miles of road or so. Hope you're not in a hurry to get from Portland to Boise!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely road, and a long one to close down!
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:13 pm Lovely window to look out at the lovely view!
There are 3 of those windows on that north west facing wall, that's the center window. I have thousands of sunset photos :mrgreen:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:55 pm Lovely road, and a long one to close down!
SR14 and I-84 are a main east/west set of freeways. Moving up Washington State, we have 14 mountain passes through the Cascades, most of which close in the winter due to snow. Trucks needing to get east/west which can't use I-90 will go down to SR14 and I-84 as a default workaround.

Currently Snoqualmie Pass, which is the pass through the Cascades on I-90 is open, but if it closes, there's nowhere else to go, which means that trucks just sit and wait until Snoqualmie Pass opens.

Return to “General Stuff”