Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:07 am
It also refers to a separate suite within the main home, usually on the other side of the house than the other bedrooms.
My sister is a serial marryer, and she likes to marry up. Hubby #1 was the HS sweetheart destined to work the Mill his whole life. Hubby #2 owned gold mines - literally - but was quite stingy. Hubby #3 is a doctor from a family of doctors, and his parents had a magnificent house in the best part of Portland. I can only imagine the square footage, but it was four floors and a basement. The ground floor was the formal area, and generally unused most of the year. The family common areas were the second and third floors. Mr and Mrs occupied the fourth floor. All the "kids and guest bedrooms" on 2 & 3 were actually three room self contained apartments with a front room, kitchen / dining area, and bedroom, that shared a large bathroom with the "bedroom" next door. You could live for days in your room without coming out to visit with the rest of the family.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

:shock: :faint:
I just ran to the shop to get light bulbs and ran into my son and granddaughter. So I asked why Alice wasn't in school. He looked at her and then back to me and said , "we took them out". Why I asked and he looked at her again and leans over to my ear and tells me "supposedly" some local crazy fuck was on tic toc claiming he was going to shoot up local schools. My D-I-L got into the car and went straight to the school and took them out. They didn't tell the kids the real reason because they didn't want to scare them but it was reported. I don't know that my heart could survive if something that awful happened. What the fuck is wrong with people! :evil:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

A friend of mine moved into a mother-in-law suite in her daughter's house last year. It was built pretty much just for her. It's a walk-out basement in the suburbs of Atlanta. The whole floor is hers and she walks out to the backyard and pool. Total privacy when she wants it; happily joins the family when she wants.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MsDaisy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:26 am :shock: :faint:
I just ran to the shop to get light bulbs and ran into my son and granddaughter. So I asked why Alice wasn't in school. He looked at her and then back to me and said , "we took them out". Why I asked and he looked at her again and leans over to my ear and tells me "supposedly" some local crazy fuck was on tic toc claiming he was going to shoot up local schools. My D-I-L got into the car and went straight to the school and took them out. They didn't tell the kids the real reason because they didn't want to scare them but it was reported. I don't know that my heart could survive if something that awful happened. What the fuck is wrong with people! :evil:
See the Houston / Harris Co thread about highway justice being committed daily apparently.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

When I lived upon the pinky of Michigan, I think we called the extra living space a carriage house. These were places above or attached to an alley accessed garage, i.e. carriage house (these were old 19th and early 20th century houses that were built for top-level managers for the railroad car ferry along with owners and managers of lumber companies as the ferry employees lived across the bay near the actual facilities).

IIRC, there was some handwringing about renting out these carriage houses separately from the main properties, making the property essentially multi-family. As it was many of the houses were owned by snowbirds or rented weekly to fudgies.
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My town has changed from the rural backwater it was when I moved here 30 something years ago, but the ground can still be fertile in the suburbs.
Morgan Hill third-grader grows ‘Best in State’ cabbage
Estiveoshot_20211217_163441.jpg
https://morganhilltimes.com/morgan-hill ... e-cabbage/
Image Image Image Image
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:07 am
roadscholar wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:46 pm
northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:14 pm I was browsing through a house info website and one included extra feature of the property:

Fenced Yard
Storage
Jetted Tub
Dishwasher
Lawn
Dryer
Mother-in-Law
Microwave
Pool
Laundry: In Unit

And regarding the Pacer app for iPad. That will be great when I am back to going to the office, and have a new iPad.
“Mother-in-law” is truncated slang for a detached or semi-detached suite on a property, where such a relative might be housed.
It also refers to a separate suite within the main home, usually on the other side of the house than the other bedrooms.
Also in Aussieland, they are called Granny-flats
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:lol:

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:?

A Poorly Matched Flu Shot Could Mean a Bad Flu Season on Top of a Covid Surge
Research suggests that this year's flu shot is not a good match for the main strain of influenza in circulation right now

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-in ... t_DFWBrand
The current flu vaccines appear to be a bad match for the dominant strain so far this influenza season, new research suggests, leading experts to warn that the United States could be in for a bad flu season, on top of what’s already shaping up to be another devastating surge of Covid cases.

Before each flu season, scientists must predict which strains will be the most common, and design a flu shot to match these predictions. This year’s flu shot includes four strains.

But one, a version of the H3N2 strain of influenza, is turning out to be a bad match for the version of H3N2, called 2a2, that’s in wide circulation in the U.S., according to a study from Scott Hensley, a professor of microbiology at the University of Pennsylvania. Hensley’s study was posted Wednesday to a preprint server, meaning it has not yet been peer-reviewed.

So far this season, the H3N2 strain makes up for at least 99 percent of all flu cases in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, though the agency does not specify how many of those cases are caused by the 2a2 version of the strain.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Ya gotta dream BIG!

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/fa ... commission
Woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for $1.5M fraud plot

Farren Gaddis Ricketts, 31, of Jonesville, and her co-conspirators devised a scheme to collect personal identification information and then submit unemployment claims to the Virginia Employment Commission website for individuals who were ineligible to receive pandemic unemployment benefits, including inmates in state prisons, according to a news release from the U.S. Justice Department.

Court documents said Ricketts registered a business with the Virginia State Corporation Commission and advertised it as a financial services company that helped with filing pandemic unemployment claims.

In addition to receiving unemployment benefits herself, Ricketts charged fees to over 120 bogus clients for the service of filing their fraudulent claims, prosecutors said.

Between May 2020 and February 2021, Ricketts and her co-conspirators filed more than 150 fraudulent claims for pandemic unemployment benefits, the news release said. For many of these filings, Ricketts created fraudulent documents to support the claims, including fraudulent IRS forms purporting to show pre-pandemic income.

(Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Never mind. :nope:
far beyond ... far beyond ...
Tiredretiredlawyer

Has anyone seen my only pair of glasses?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, they're precisely where you left them, young lady. :whistle:
far beyond ... far beyond ...
Tiredretiredlawyer

Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:06 pm Yeah, they're precisely where you left them, young lady. :whistle:
Nope! I just found them! Siri knocked them off the bedside table as she hid under the bed from granddoggies. :biggrin:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:16 pm
Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:06 pm Yeah, they're precisely where you left them, young lady. :whistle:
Nope! I just found them! Siri knocked them off the bedside table as she hid under the bed from granddoggies. :biggrin:
Thank goodness the item I misplace most often is my phone. So I just say "Alexa, find my phone" and she rings my phone.

Of course, it would work out better if I would actually turn the volume of the ringer up to something I can actually hear BEFORE I misplace the darn thing! :lol: :oopsy:
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

RVInit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:19 pm
Thank goodness the item I misplace most often is my phone. So I just say "Alexa, find my phone" and she rings my phone.

Of course, it would work out better if I would actually turn the volume of the ringer up to something I can actually hear BEFORE I misplace the darn thing! :lol: :oopsy:
We don't have such a thing as Alexa here. The grand brats were here one day last week and for some reason Donavan had turned on every single lamp and light in the library as well as the TV. So I fussed at him to turn off some of these lights, that he didn't need all these lights turned on. He didn't even look up from what he was doing, he just said, "Alexia turn off all the lights". Then of course he rolled his eyes as he had to resort to physically getting up off his ass and go manually turn them all off! LOL!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:rotflmao:
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:52 pm
RVInit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:19 pm

We don't have such a thing as Alexa here. The grand brats were here one day last week and for some reason Donavan had turned on every single lamp and light in the library as well as the TV. So I fussed at him to turn off some of these lights, that he didn't need all these lights turned on. He didn't even look up from what he was doing, he just said, "Alexia turn off all the lights". Then of course he rolled his eyes as he had to resort to physically getting up off his ass and go manually turn them all off! LOL!
:lol:

We figured out the other night that Alexa is the only person in the house that knows how to turn the string lights on the balcony on and off. Otherwise they are just hooked to a weatherproof black box that doesn't do anything.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

This is a very interesting podcast: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-new ... -85696799/
Isaac Newton built a reputation as the smartest man in Europe. But this action-packed series exposes the little-known story of his stint as England’s most ruthless lawman, and the Moriarty-like kingpin who kept evading him.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Tiredretiredlawyer

Flatpoint High wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:08 pm This is a very interesting podcast: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-new ... -85696799/
Isaac Newton built a reputation as the smartest man in Europe. But this action-packed series exposes the little-known story of his stint as England’s most ruthless lawman, and the Moriarty-like kingpin who kept evading him.
Glad to see you, FPH! :biggrin:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I'm getting concerned with the features Apple is adding to their digital assistant.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Uhm, I have a confession. Siri did not knock my glasses off. I did. :oopsy: I did a timeline and realized my fatal paw flaw.

Her royal feliness has not determined my punishment. There will be an enhancement for having all three granddoggies here. :shock:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:23 pm
Flatpoint High wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:08 pm This is a very interesting podcast: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-new ... -85696799/
Glad to see you, FPH! :biggrin:
missed me, didja?? :batting: :batting: :batting:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Tiredretiredlawyer

Yep!

Return to “General Stuff”