Places You Want To See In Person

John Thomas8

Places You Want To See In Person

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ya, the thought of travel right now is kinda obnoxious, but we can always use our imagination, right?

I've been a bunch of places, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for years. Places like Saudi, and Turkey, Honduras and most of continental Europe as it was in 1984-87. Did a year+ in South Korea and all the weird stops military transport takes to get there.

But I wandered through as the Mrs was watching the new Hawai'i 5-0 and the setting was some hillside. The story doesn't matter, it was the views in the background of the shot that got me. The views were stunning, something I think I'd like to see in person, no matter how not-like-TV Hawai'i is.

Same with the Western US, there's vistas out there that just are not seen East of the Mississippi. I wanna visit the Greasy Grass, the Black Hills, the Oregon Trail. I'm too old to hike the Appalachian Trail, but I should have. My brother lives out by the Grand Canyon, wanna see that, too. And maybe some of the glaciers calving in Alaska, the sights and sounds.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Places You Want To See In Person

Post by Phoenix520 »

Greece.
Chicago
St Louis
Montpelier France (a good friend moved there shortly after getting her American citizenship because she felt unsafe here due to Trumpers)
Victoria BC
much ado

Post by much ado »

The Quiraing on the Isle of Skye, Scotland. Some of the fantastical landscape in the movie Stardust was the real landscape of the Quiraing.

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Micky Dolenz' grave.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Lani

Post by Lani »

I love the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest & the Painted Desert. Definitely go there.

I first saw it when I was 3yo and never forgot the awe I felt. When I moved to Hawaii, I drove from WDC to Los Angeles to ship my car. I spent a lot of time in the SW. Hiked desert trails and crossed streams to see the ancient cliff dwellings, looked for rare rocks (I love geology), stayed a couple days at the Grand Canyon over Christmas.

Many years later I took my son there, and he was as awed as I was. We stayed more than a week in the Navajo Nation during the off-tourist season. Son played with the other kids & they taught him how to ride. He so was sad to leave. As we left, he was given a ceremonial spear and I was given a big chunk of a petrified tree trunk.

On my bucket list is Istanbul. Gotta wait for Erdogan to get kicked out, though.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Have been to lots of places around the world but the top of the list not seen yet: Antarctica.

We have friends who have been twice and we came close about four years ago, but haven't made it yet.

Favorites: Machu Picchu, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, Patagonia. Okay, I could go on but I think I'll just stop there.

Edited to add: the US Southwest and the Appalachians.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tristan da Cunha.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Herculaneum and Pompeii.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Australia and Antarctica, the only 2 continents I haven't been to.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:18 pm Greece.
Chicago
St Louis
Montpelier France (a good friend moved there shortly after getting her American citizenship because she felt unsafe here due to Trumpers)
Victoria BC
I lived in Chicago for three years and I loved it. Went back a few years ago with my BFF and still loved it, although it's changed so much,

St. Louis? Been there, meh.

Victoria BC is fabulous. We stayed in the very old Fairmont there. The floors were slanted, but it was still wonderful.
filly

Post by filly »

If you've never been to the Rocky Mountains, they are a must. No camera or IMAX can capture their majesty.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

filly wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:15 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:18 pm Greece.
Chicago
St Louis
Victoria BC
I lived in Chicago for three years and I loved it. Went back a few years ago with my BFF and still loved it, although it's changed so much,

St. Louis? Been there, meh.

Victoria BC is fabulous. We stayed in the very old Fairmont there. The floors were slanted, but it was still wonderful.
I agree about Chicago and St. Louis. Victoria is fabulous, as is the Empress, which is now The Fairmont. We are going back for the fourth time next year and taking our granddaughter for her first trip.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

Yes, the Empress! I couldn't remember the name offhand :oldlady: Photo at https://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/

(We have a friend with connections at the Fairmont and we do not pay the big bucks. It's not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the website shows).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

filly wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:40 pm Yes, the Empress! I couldn't remember the name offhand :oldlady: Photo at https://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/

(We have a friend with connections at the Fairmont and we do not pay the big bucks. It's not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the website shows).
We got a really good deal the time we stayed there, too, in a room right at the front on the concierge floor. The last time we went, though, we stayed at Abigail's. Maybe a little more expensive, but worth it.

https://www.tourismvictoria.com/stay/abigails-hotel
filly

Post by filly »

Andy that looks charming! We've only been that one time so the Empress seemed kind of obligatory, but I would consider that if we ever are free to go back.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Here's a really odd and obscure one, because both of my sons were born in the desolate godforsaken hellhole of Fresno, California. But this place is really cool, I took my parents and they loved it.

Forestiere Underground Gardens

In the early 1900s, Sicilian immigrant, citrus grower and visionary Baldassare Forestiere began turning what was useless farmland into a vast network of rooms, tunnels and courtyards as a subterranean escape from the sweltering Central Valley summer heat.

Using only shovels, picks and other hand tools, Baldassare was inspired to excavate for forty years, going as deep as 25 feet underground and spanning over 10 acres. He grew fruit trees and grapevines underground - many of which are still thriving today!

Today, guests from around the world tour through his grottos, passageways and underground homes. Although he never officially opened the Mediterranean resort of his dreams, we think Baldassare would be thrilled by all of the guests marveling at his life's work today and finding inspiration underground.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Mongolia.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

mojosapien wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:53 pm Micky Dolenz' grave.
:fingerwag:

None of that, now…
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Easter Island. It's a huge pain to get there, but maybe I'll do it someday.
easter island b.jpeg
easter island b.jpeg (403.89 KiB) Viewed 865 times

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”