COVID-19 and the States

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Suranis

Re: COVID-19 and the States

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

Today the state was going to have a ceremony, thanking the National Guard for supporting our covid response.

It was cancelled.
The Hawaiʻi National Guard cancelled today’s ceremony marking the drawdown of the Hawaiʻi National Guard Joint Task Force (HING JTF) that supported COVID-19 response.

The decision to cancel the ceremony and to reestablish the HING JTF was made by Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the adjutant general for the State of Hawaiʻi as the number of COVID-19 cases rise and in anticipation of support that will be needed for testing, contact tracing, and vaccinations.
And here we go again!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

My state....

As covid cases rise in the region, Maryland hospitals reaching near capacity

The sole hospital in one Southern Maryland county is at capacity. The number of covid-19 patients in another county, home to the state’s capital, more than doubled in just two weeks. And the seven-day average of patients being treated for covid-19 in Baltimore City has jumped nearly 72 percent since the end of last month.

Hospitalization data — the only coronavirus statistics that health officials in Maryland have had available to them since a cyberattack shut down the state Department of Health’s website nearly two weeks ago — paints an alarming picture of the continued spread of the coronavirus in Maryland and of the ability of hospitals across the state to handle it.
:snippity:
Bob Atlas, president and chief executive of the Maryland Hospital Association, said 93 percent of hospital beds across the state are full. Of the state’s 8,250 hospital beds, covid-19 patients fill 1,150 — or 15 percent — of them.

“Covid is not the dominant condition, but it is what is pushing us to the limit,” Atlas said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... -capacity/
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:05 pm The world has been In the Soup for two years. Can someone explain why there havent been public health moves to, oh, say, designate 1 hospital in every major metro area as non-COVID, for all other needs? This would seem to be a good time to step out of the box in our thinking.

Also, too, and this is just me: after July 4, 2022, if you are willfully unvaxxed, prepare to be massively, globally shunned. Shunning in one’s community is much more effective than shaming.

I fully expect LM K to have something to say about it and I’d love to hear what it is. 💕
The stupid insurance system would have to change. For me (these are my local options but insert your own options) I have to go to the Providence system to be fully covered - if I go to one of their competitors (Legacy, Kaiser etc.) I have to pay a whole bunch of $. It is all broken.
Lani

Post by Lani »

scirreeve wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:06 am
Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:05 pm :snippity:
The stupid insurance system would have to change. For me (these are my local options but insert your own options) I have to go to the Providence system to be fully covered - if I go to one of their competitors (Legacy, Kaiser etc.) I have to pay a whole bunch of $. It is all broken.
It's always been broken. It was set up that way - pro-profit. Healthcare should be a right. BUT OMG OBAMACARE!!!!

If we had healthcare for all, we'd catch problems before they become deathcare.

When I lived in Oz and my baby was sick, I asked when could I see the doctor again. He said whenever you are worried. And then he said, "oh, you're American."
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And coughing his fool head off. I hope he ends up in the ICU and I'll stop myself there. Sorry, not sorry.
► Show Spoiler
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The pandemic exposed just how broken our system is for any who doubted.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

The Maladministration flat out didn't care. It went against their anti-science/education narrative, and it wasn't about the OSG, so of course it wasn't priority, and those damn pesky scientists and doctors dared disagree with him and his advisors, so of course he dug his heels in and did nothing. Besides, it ONLY affected peasants and the hoi palloi, until it didn't.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

With questions about omicron’s severity still unanswered, Texas braces for new COVID-19 wave this winter

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/12/17 ... ce=twitter
As the omicron variant of COVID-19 quickly spreads across the United States, public health experts fear that Texas’ health care system could once again be overwhelmed by the disease within weeks.

“It’s really accelerating fast,” said Dr. Peter Hotez, a virologist at Baylor College of Medicine. “I think we’re going to be in the middle of it by Christmas.”

:snippity:

Still, medical researchers are trying to determine how severe omicron-related infections are on unvaccinated individuals or even the less-recently vaccinated, since evidence of more mild infections is based largely on anecdotal cases among a younger population, like in South Africa. With Texas’ lagging vaccination rates and an already-depleted hospital workforce, public health experts in the state fear omicron could become devastating for the health care system — even if the variant ends up largely causing only relatively mild illness.

“Those rural counties where we have low vaccination rates and have lost hospital infrastructure, those I think we should be the most concerned about,” said Rebecca Fischer, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the Texas A&M University School of Public Health. “The past 20 months we have seen hospitals close, we’ve seen hospitals lose their staff. … We are not in a great place with our health care infrastructure to handle another mass influx of cases.”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Looky at that. Indiana is a miracle, being virtually surrounded.
filly

Post by filly »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:02 pm
An idiot once said if you don’t test, you don’t have cases so there!
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm disgusted that many governors are not taking action to reduce cases. Numbers are rising quickly, and they should require more distancing, fewer people in offices, restaurants, stores, etc. Masks inside and outside. All the things we did before to stop the surges. But too many governors are telling the public that restrictions will not return.

Thursday I went to a thank you luncheon for the top Alz Walk teams. It was on the 2nd floor of a restaurant, open air. People were sitting next to each other, only inches apart, mostly unmasked & chatting while enjoying our meals. It was a lovely event, and we were glad to see each other, but I kept thinking that it was not a safe place. At least the good news was that we had fresh air & everybody had 3 vaccinations.

This week there was to be thank you ceremony for the National Guard, stepping down & going home. It was canceled because of the rising covid rates, and the National Guard personnel aren't leaving. Nonetheless, our governor isn't bringing back any of the previous restrictions. :brickwallsmall:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I have a very close friend in Brooklyn. Very careful, he and his wife are vaxxed and boosted, always mask up, his son is 9yo and also fully vaxxed and masked. Felt safe, it's allowed, everyone is verified to be fully vaxxed, went to see a band he loved for decades at a show. Gots the covid, the wife is looking like it too. It's no joke, and even what the tell you in a blue city in a blue state isn't necessarily safe.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

The surge has begun in Hawaii. 707 new infections and three deaths on Saturday. The positivity rate reached 5% - it doubled in 6 days - on Saturday for the 1st time since 9/23 towards the end of the summer delta surge. And doctors are mad at the governor & Honolulu major for refusing to return to restrictions.
The worst-case scenario is here, it’s starting already as we’ve seen our number surge into the 700s. There is nothing we have done and nothing that was changed by the governor and the mayor’s [Friday] to address what the problems are. Therefore, we are now going to then face the omicron variant on top of the delta variant with doubling every one and a half to three days, which is going to create a surge that most of us are predicting now that we’re well into the 1,500 to 2,000 a day range by virtue of end of January — if not sooner.”
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/the-w ... ss-hawaii/
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Michigan now has 6 confirmed cases, might be all are imported. The second and third case were in an epidemiologist and her adult daughter, both boostered, who went to a wedding in Wisconsin. Everyone had to be fully vaxxed (boostered if eligible) and wear masks at the wedding, but at the reception people took off their masks to eat and then started dancing. Epidemiologist was taking video on her phone, realized few people were still wearing masks, and immediately left. It was too late. Several people that attended are symptomatic and have tested positive.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:22 am Michigan now has 6 confirmed cases, might be all are imported. The second and third case were in an epidemiologist and her adult daughter, both boostered, who went to a wedding in Wisconsin. Everyone had to be fully vaxxed (boostered if eligible) and wear masks at the wedding, but at the reception people took off their masks to eat and then started dancing. Epidemiologist was taking video on her phone, realized few people were still wearing masks, and immediately left. It was too late. Several people that attended are symptomatic and have tested positive.
I think about situations like that every time someone goes on and on about how careful they're being and then plans a trip, or attends an event or hangs out with people they haven't seen in a year or does something else that isn't absolutely necessary. Then blames the state for not clamping down harder or other people for not getting vaxxed or whatever other excuse they have for doing what they want to do. If you're going to family gatherings, or holiday parties, or vacations or whatever else, you're not really doing all you can, except possibly exposing yourself and others.

3 friends sick with covid just this week because of a family event or a work function where everyone was triple vaxxed and being "safe" by doing everything but staying the fuck home.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”