New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
sugar magnolia

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by sugar magnolia »

somerset wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:06 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:13 pm Get him!

I want that fucker humiliated, broke and jailed before he strokes out
I would prefer stroked out, unable to speak or move, but yet fully cognizant. Then see all his money taken, Melania openly dating someone much younger, and richer and his [expletive deleted] stain kids and in law shipped off to prison, just before he's shipped of to the worst nursing home in the country and live as long as his father did. :daydreaming:
FIFY

Or he could also be in prison, along with all of the above ;)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Haven't seen a link yet, but on MSNBC they were showing preview clips of an interview that I *think* was Weisselberg's former DIL. It was early, and no coffee yet, so mea culpa if I got it wrong. If I got it right, :popcorn:

[edit] Here it is: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex ... s-n1261459
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

This is from last November. Interesting bits there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1aBXOe
Trump Perks for Weisselbergs Included Free Rent, Tax Preparer
filly

Post by filly »

Michael Cohen and Ms. Weisselberg are two people who are willing to discuss their interactions with the Vance investigators. One has to wonder how many other people have been interviewed who are keeping mum.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:27 am
somerset wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:06 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 pm

I would prefer stroked out, unable to speak or move, but yet fully cognizant. Then see all his money taken, Melania openly dating someone much younger, and richer and his [expletive deleted] stain kids and in law shipped off to prison, just before he's shipped of to the worst nursing home in the country and live as long as his father did. :daydreaming:
FIFY

Or he could also be in prison, along with all of the above ;)
Change approved :thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Former DIL on Cuomo Prime Time. Is it just me, or is she not sober?
Clairez

Post by Clairez »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:23 pm I want this to be Trump.in a year

The funniest thing about this is the fashion trend it would start among the MAGAs!! :biggrin:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Clairez wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:35 am

The funniest thing about this is the fashion trend it would start among the MAGAs!! :biggrin:
I'd be ok with that. Let them put all the visible marks on their faces that they want to. Easier to identify them from a distance and go the other way.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Easier to pick them out of line ups.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Off Topic

I never understood people who tattoo their faces up like that. :think: But as my long ago departed strange mother use to say... "Each to their own said the old woman as she kissed the cow on the ass."
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:44 am
Off Topic

I never understood people who tattoo their faces up like that. :think: But as my long ago departed strange mother use to say... "Each to their own said the old woman as she kissed the cow on the ass."
Off Topic
I’m not a fan of tattoos outside tradition/cultural reasons. The Maori and some other First Nations people have long tattooed their faces. Without looking it up, I’m guessing criminal and supremacist elements think it’s badass and followed suit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... moko-kauae
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Kendra wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:39 am Haven't seen a link yet, but on MSNBC they were showing preview clips of an interview that I *think* was Weisselberg's former DIL. It was early, and no coffee yet, so mea culpa if I got it wrong. If I got it right, :popcorn:
You got it right. She was married to his son. The report said it was a bitter divorce and she lost custody of the children. As a credible witness I would rate her a :shrug: (not very). She really didn't say anything of value.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:00 am
Off Topic
I’m not a fan of tattoos outside tradition/cultural reasons. The Maori and some other First Nations people have long tattooed their faces. Without looking it up, I’m guessing criminal and supremacist elements think it’s badass and followed suit.

Off Topic
Clarification: Do you mean tattoos generally, or just specific cultural ones like Maori tattoos? Just curious.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I almost got a tattoo on my navel, it would have said:

—-> Oil Here

Because when I was a boy, all our mechanical toys had to be oiled, and there was always a little hole somewhere on the toy for a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil.

'Course, nobody under 60 years old today would have any understanding of it. Just as well I didn't get it. :towel:
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Off Topic
I actually do have a rather large tattoo of a mountain goat on my left calf. Got it as a reward for riding my bike up Mount Evans the last time Mrs. FRP and I were out in Colorado in 2017. There's a herd of goats that frequent the summit and have been known to use cyclists as salt licks. They were about an hour down-slope, and I wasn't going to stay at 14,000+ feet for that long (also clouds were gathering, and storms can come out of nowhere at that altitude). I'm hoping they were actually be there when I go for the repeat attempt this August.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:00 am
Off Topic

Off Topic
Clarification: Do you mean tattoos generally, or just specific cultural ones like Maori tattoos? Just curious.
Off Topic
I'm not following the question. But with the exception of tattoos that are part of a cultural tradition, like Maori and many First Nations, and maybe US Marines ;) , I'm not a fan of tattoos. I don't judge people who have them generally (with the exception of Nazi/Aryan tattoos and the like), but a lot of my age group who never, ever wanted them suddenly claimed they always did when it became socially acceptable among their children. I'm never for following trends and I'm way more curmudgeonly than :oldman:. That said, it's a social norm and not a big deal, but I'm still not a fan. BTW, weirdest tattoo I've seen was on a 20something college student with "Helter" and "Skelter" down the back of her calves. Have never quite figured that one out.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

All Velshi guest hosted The Maddow Show last night. He had Michael Cohen on to chat. Worth watching IMHO. Just his opinion, but Cohen thinks things are hearing up and indictments will be flying :pray: :daydreaming: :smoking: :popcorn:
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Kendra wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:16 am All Velshi guest hosted The Maddow Show last night. He had Michael Cohen on to chat. Worth watching IMHO. Just his opinion, but Cohen thinks things are hearing up and indictments will be flying :pray: :daydreaming: :smoking: :popcorn:
They'd better be moving quickly, or there's going to be eons worth of statute of limitations litigation just to get to the merits.
filly

Post by filly »

Kendra wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:16 am All Velshi guest hosted The Maddow Show last night. He had Michael Cohen on to chat. Worth watching IMHO. Just his opinion, but Cohen thinks things are hearing up and indictments will be flying :pray: :daydreaming: :smoking: :popcorn:
Velshi seemed not to have heard Cohen say he will be interviewed for a 9th time and expects his meetings with the DA's office to run into double digits. Cohen also described the Manhattan DAs folks as having a "vault of paper" [presumably documents they have from Mazars and others] which is tabbed, cross tabbed, extremely organized, etc.

I have to wonder how much Cohen knows that he hasn't publicly testified about. The DA's office doesn't strike me as willing to waste time, so something is going on.

Also, Jane Mayer said yesterday the rumors are flying that Ron DeSantis will refuse to extradite Trump if he is indicted in NY. I seem to remember that Pritzker had to sign off on Kyle Rittenhouse being extradited from Illinois to Wisconsin, but I assumed that was a ministerial duty. But I always thought Congressional certification of the Electoral College was a ministerial duty. I would be interested in FRP's knowledge of state to state extraditions and the role of a Governor to refuse to do so.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

filly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 am Also, Jane Mayer said yesterday the rumors are flying that Ron DeSantis will refuse to extradite Trump if he is indicted in NY. I seem to remember that Pritzker had to sign off on Kyle Rittenhouse being extradited from Illinois to Wisconsin, but I assumed that was a ministerial duty. But I always thought Congressional certification of the Electoral College was a ministerial duty. I would be interested in FRP's knowledge of state to state extraditions and the role of a Governor to refuse to do so.
Sounds like a reason for the move to Florida. Are there "tapes" between Individual-1 and DeSantis, hmmm?
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

filly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 am Also, Jane Mayer said yesterday the rumors are flying that Ron DeSantis will refuse to extradite Trump if he is indicted in NY. I seem to remember that Pritzker had to sign off on Kyle Rittenhouse being extradited from Illinois to Wisconsin, but I assumed that was a ministerial duty. But I always thought Congressional certification of the Electoral College was a ministerial duty. I would be interested in FRP's knowledge of state to state extraditions and the role of a Governor to refuse to do so.
I can help here, as I have represented a number of clients who were being extradited from Wisconsin to stand trial in another state for crimes they had allegedly committed. The role of the governor in extraditions is indeed supposed to be purely ministerial under both the Extradition Clause of the Constitution and the relevant federal statute, 18 USC 3182. Remember that extradition is a judicial proceeding, like any other criminal or civil case. The substance of the accusations generally doesn't matter. All we're really concerned about it is making sure that the extradition request is bona fide and the person in court is actually the person the requesting state wants to put on trial. (Don't laugh too much; those kinds of mistaken-identity cases do happen from time to time.)

Fundamentally, someone whose extradition has been sought has two real options: The first option is to sign a waiver of extradition (basically a guilty/no-contest plea for extradition), ending the proceedings and opening the window for the requesting state to come get them. The second option is to make the state jump through the hoops to complete the extradition, including the obtaining of a governor's warrant. That's literally just a piece of paper signed by the governor or his or her designee authorizing the person to be extradited to the requesting state. Once one of those things happens to the court's satisfaction, the extradition proceeding is closed and the clock starts on the requesting state to come and get the defendant. In most states the time limit is 30 or 60 days, but some states allow up to 90 days. Yes, I have personally seen cases where the defendant waived extradition or a governor's warrant issued, but the requesting state never picked them up within the time limits. Then the defendant has to be cut loose by the asylum state unless they have some other reason to hold them.

Getting the governor's warrant can take a little while. I've frequently advised clients in complex felony extraditions not to waive extradition at their initial appearance in order to buy time to retain counsel in the state where they are facing charges. Then, once their lawyer is in place wherever they're going, that lawyer and I will coordinate the timing of a waiver in order to try to control (as best we can) the timing of the defendant's transport. But that's just a tactical maneuver to buy a little time, not an actual attempt at mounting a defense to the extradition.

Now, for about 100 years, it was actually the case that governors could outright reject an extradition request. The case law on that goes back to 1860 with the case of Kentucky v. Dennison, 65 US 66, which more or less said that governors have an affirmative duty to approve an extradition, but that federal courts (which are the only courts with jurisdiction in state-versus-state litigation) have no authority to compel them to do so. The result of that decision was to essentially empower governors to reject extraditions as and when it suited them.

That changed in 1987, when SCOTUS overturned Dennison in Puerto Rico v. Branstad, 483 US 219. Branstad affirmed that governors have a duty to return fugitives to the requesting state, and granted federal courts the authority to enforce that duty. An extradition request can be rejected by a governor, but only for certain reasons: 1) facial deficiency of the extradition documents, 2) the defendant hasn't actually been charged with a crime (you can't request extradition of someone you're investigating before charging them, in other words), 3) the person being held is not actually the fugitive being requested, or 4) the person in question is not a fugitive at all (beats the hell out of me how that would happen). Oh, and also governors can delay authorizing extradition under the Interstate Agreement on Detainers (IAD) if the person to be extradited is already serving a sentence in the asylum state. That's not in the Branstad decision, it's just the effect of the IAD, which has been adopted by all 50 states and the federal government.

So, what does all this mean? It means that - assuming Trump is charged in New York state courts for something, there are opportunities to delay the process, but as long as everything is procedurally in-order, Governor DeSantis can't reject the extradition request. If he tried to, he could be held in contempt by a federal judge, or the US Marshals could be sent with a court order to take custody of Trump and effect the extradition.

Hope that helps.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:lovestruck:

Thank you for your explanation!
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:22 pm
So, what does all this mean? It means that - assuming Trump is charged in New York state courts for something, there are opportunities to delay the process, but as long as everything is procedurally in-order, Governor DeSantis can't reject the extradition request. If he tried to, he could be held in contempt by a federal judge, or the US Marshals could be sent with a court order to take custody of Trump and effect the extradition.

Hope that helps.

:popcorn:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:40 am Sounds like a reason for the move to Florida. Are there "tapes" between Individual-1 and DeSantis, hmmm?
Whenever I hear about someone who might be in financial trouble moving to Florida, my mind always turns to the generous state bankruptcy exemption that allows debtors to keep their house (including any solid gold plumbing).

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”