Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Mozilla Foundation moz://a

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Mozilla Foundation moz://a

Post by RTH10260 »

from a recent newsletter
Stop recommending that video

Hey there,

If you’re anything like the team at Mozilla, you probably spend a lot of time on YouTube. We’re big fans of the things YouTube has to offer — from DIY videos to meditation tracks to old movie trailers. But many of us have also had the not-so-good experience of clicking on one wrong video and getting sucked into a spiral of terrible YouTube recommendations that follow us around for weeks on end.

That’s why we built a tool to help you take back control of your YouTube recommendations. Our updated release of the RegretsReporter browser extension gives you a simple way to tell YouTube’s algorithm to stop recommending certain videos.

Download for Firefox

Download for Chrome

After you install RegretsReporter, you can also choose to join our crowdsourced research project, investigating what videos people don’t want to be recommended and how YouTube's algorithm responds to that feedback.

Earlier this year, RegretsReporter data contributed by 37,380 people powered the largest-ever crowdsourced investigation into harmful recommendations on YouTube. Our investigation was covered by more than 170 news outlets across 30 countries and — thanks to the effort of people who contributed data — YouTube made changes to its policies1 and released more information2 to the public about how it works.

We do this work because we believe that people like you should be in control of online algorithms, rather than algorithms having power over us. If you’re with us on this, please download RegretsReporter and donate data to support our research today.

Learn More

Thanks,
Brandi and the team at Mozilla
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Re: Mozilla Foundation moz://a

Post by Reality Check »

I might try that. YouTube keeps trying to shove Forbes bullshit videos at me. I have even looked for a way to tell them I do not want to see anything from Forbes ever again.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am I might try that. YouTube keeps trying to shove Forbes bullshit videos at me. I have even looked for a way to tell them I do not want to see anything from Forbes ever again.
Ugh, I by accident clicked on a glenn cerio video, can't shake that mutt outta my recommendations for any reason.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

The problem for me is I usually watch YT videos randomly using an app on my TV or tablet. I only open them on my PC if they are linked from some other article or post.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I try to remember to go and clean up my YouTube History from time to time (History is on the menu at the left). Since my devices are all signed on to my main Gmail account, the history is shared. I will usually go in and get rid of those one-off videos (or stuff I watched from here but don't want suggestions for in YouTube). It generally works and, at least today, the suggestions are what I expect.

You can always go the whole hog and delete the wh0ole history and get completely unrelated suggestions.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I erase my YT history regularly, takes about 5 clicks, no big. Make sure to erase search history AND watch history. But YT still knows what I watch, so its home page offers stuff they think I'd like to see.
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “Economy”