Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:rotflmao:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Mountaineer given jewels he found on French glacier 50 years after plane crash
Gemstones worth €300,000 shared between Mont Blanc climber and authorities as man praised for handing find to police in 2013

Guardian staff and agencies
Mon 6 Dec 2021 01.03 GMT

A treasure trove of emeralds, rubies and sapphires buried for decades on a glacier off France’s Mont Blanc has finally been shared between the climber who discovered them and local authorities, eight years after they were found.

The mountaineer stumbled across the precious stones in 2013. They had remained hidden in a metal box that was onboard an Indian plane that crashed in the desolate landscape some 50 years earlier.

“The stones have been shared this week” in two equal lots valued at about €150,000 ($169,000) each, the mayor of Chamonix, Eric Fournier, said.

He was “very happy” that events had been brought to a conclusion, Fournier said, in particular for the climber, whom he praised for his “integrity” in turning his find over to police, as required by law.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... lane-crash
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Remember when Orly’s phone would mysteriously go off when she was in court?

(dunno if this is real or staged, but anyway…)

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That was funny. :lol: Here's a little more humor for the thread

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Weird interactive map of the most iconic Christmas food for each US state.
https://www.christmas.co.uk/christmas-food-usa/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:17 pm Weird interactive map of the most iconic Christmas food for each US state.
Interesting, but I would disagree with the PA one. I don't know anyone who does pork and sauerkraut for Christmas, but it's absolutely traditional here for New Years Day. Most people I know do either another turkey or a ham for Christmas, and that's what there are tons of in the meat departments right now. After Christmas, the shelves are loaded with every kind of pork and lots of sauerkraut nearby. Personally, I do a leg of lamb for Christmas. Why torture myself doing two turkeys in a month, not that I don't love turkey? And I love lamb. Place potatoes, carrots, onions around it, roast, and you are done. No mashing potatoes, add a few side dishes. Done! :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:17 pm Weird interactive map of the most iconic Christmas food for each US state.
For Minnesota, they absolutely nailed it with lutefisk. Churches holding lutefisk suppers during December is absolutely a thing in Minnesota.

It's been 45 years since I lived in Iowa, but I have visited relatives there quite often since then. I don't remember pickle wraps ever being a thing, and the half dozen church cookbooks I have from Iowa don't include any recipes for pickle wraps. Maybe it's a Des Moines area thing, not northeast Iowa.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Mulled wine in Washington? I've never heard of anyone drinking mulled wine.

Dungeness crab in California? Now I know I grew up in an English household, so it was always roast beef with Yorkshire puds, but pretty much all the Americans had turkey or ham.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
tek

Post by tek »

"NOT ACTUALLY FRIED CHICKEN"
kfc_firelog.jpg
kfc_firelog.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Um, what are we supposed to do with these "Firelogs" w/ 11 herbs and spices? You can't cook KYC-style chicken (which is done in a commercial pressure fryer and not on a grill).... :?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:39 am Um, what are we supposed to do with these "Firelogs" w/ 11 herbs and spices? You can't cook KYC-style chicken (which is done in a commercial pressure fryer and not on a grill).... :?
If you got a hankering for fried chicken, why not just make it, or go to KFC/Popeye's/whatever?

I don't like fried chicken (or fried anything.)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:50 am
neonzx wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:39 am Um, what are we supposed to do with these "Firelogs" w/ 11 herbs and spices? You can't cook KYC-style chicken (which is done in a commercial pressure fryer and not on a grill).... :?
If you got a hankering for fried chicken, why not just make it, or go to KFC/Popeye's/whatever?

I don't like fried chicken (or fried anything.)
:think:
Maybe these "Firelogs" are supposed to go in your fireplace -- filling your home with the scent of a KFC Holiday Season(ing) Happy Holidays!

:smoking:
tek

Post by tek »

I'm sure at least one person will try to roast it in the oven.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

tek wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:04 am I'm sure at least one person will try to roast it in the oven.
Between posting "Brandon" and anti-vaxx memes.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

So Hoppin' John is a thing in North Carolina, but it's a black thing. Do not tell your black friends all about how you made a big pot of Hoppin' John, because you're not black, so don't try to be black.

And let's be real: The dish is made with rice and peas because that's all some poor folk could afford. I personally have been so poor that I ate similar dishes. I personally sat on the banks of the Russian River with a bunch of other derelict homeless hippies and shared a meal of rice and peas (or rice and beans) in a big pot, because that's all we could afford to eat at the Free Beach. Then we passed around a gallon of the cheapest wine we could get, if'n we were lucky. At that time, my only sources of income were unemployment insurance and panhandling. But I had a tan butt, so there's that. :biggrin:

So anyway, I looked at Hoppin' John when I moved to the Old North State, and I decided to pass. :nope:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Uh oh. Do I have to quit making Hoppin' John now? It's in our regular rotation, so I hope not. Making it with Lady peas and Rotel is our personal favorite.

Those KFC logs have been around a while, I think. My friend's husband used to throw them on their fire pit.

p.s. I had red beans and rice for breakfast and didn't feel poor at all. Maybe it was the sausage. Another regular in our rotation.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

A Mexican restaurant I frequently go to does some breakfast stuff including steak and eggs but instead of hashbrowns, they have refried beans and rice. It's quite good with steak and eggs.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 am Uh oh. Do I have to quit making Hoppin' John now?
'Course not. Maybe things are different in Mississississississippippippi, ya think? Also, do you try to impress anybody that you had Hoppin' John? Do you only have it for Christmas?
p.s. I had red beans and rice for breakfast and didn't feel poor at all. Maybe it was the sausage.
'Course it was the sausage. What kind of poor person can afford sausage? :shrug:

And I don't complain about the times that I was poor, because I really enjoyed myself and wasn't so desperately poor that I starved or anything. I have few fonder memories than living at the nude beach, gathering around with the other people who lived there as the sun went down and sharing a big pot of rice and beans (or peas) and a gallon of red wine. Maybe a little weed, if somebody had a joint. On a perfect California evening, with my tent and my sleeping bag and my two dogs. That was a good summer, regardless of the other stuff that happened. :biggrin:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Army to award Purple Hearts to troops injured in Iran missile attack downplayed by Trump

Axios
Thu, December 9, 2021, 5:14 AM

The Army has approved 39 more Purple Hearts for U.S. soldiers wounded in an Iranian military ballistic missile attack on an Iraq base in January 2020, the Army Times first reported Wednesday.

Why it matters: Most of these soldiers sustained brain injuries, per the Army Times. Then-President Trump dismissed their injuries at the time as "headaches" and "not very serious," sparking backlash from some veterans groups.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/army-award-p ... 45583.html
mimi

Post by mimi »

They may give Fogbow PACER for Christmas. :biggrin:

Or Groundhog Day. Hard to know how long, if ever.
ZinWhit

Post by ZinWhit »

I pulled a hammy playing drums.
Conservation is what conservation does and it sure ain't preservation.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

ZinWhit wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:11 am I pulled a hammy playing drums.
:confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

"pulled a hamstring" in the back of his leg. Very painful injury, depending on how bad it is. :(
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I kinda thought that. Firstborn Son plays drums, yet never mentioned leg injuries. I am surrounded by drummers. My brother and ex-boyfriend play too,also.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”