Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

Jim

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by Jim »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:22 pm
Atticus Finch wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:42 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:08 pm 9 bullets into a wheelchair-bound 61 year old. Sounds reasonable. :roll:
It was also reasonable that Remington handcuffed him afterwards. You don't want a suspect with nine bullets in his body crawl away. :roll:
Actually, handcuffing him was about the ONLY thing he did that followed protocol.

That pause between the 8th and 9th shots....I have no words.
Did he stop and reload? how many bullets do those guns carry?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Jim wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:10 pm

It was also reasonable that Remington handcuffed him afterwards. You don't want a suspect with nine bullets in his body crawl away. :roll:
Actually, handcuffing him was about the ONLY thing he did that followed protocol.

Most depts carry a Glock 22, which holds 15 rounds.
Jim

Post by Jim »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:40 pm
Jim wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Most depts carry a Glock 22, which holds 15 rounds.
Thanks from a non-shooter. :D
Lani

Post by Lani »

That brought to my mind the Colorado incident when police threw an 80 pound senior with Alzheimer's to the ground, roughed her up, slammed her over the car trunk and cuffed her. I posted the video here somewhere or another. Or it disappeared when the Fogbow morphed.

Her shoulder was dislocated, sprained wrist and broken arm. She had walked out of a Walmart when she was stopped because she had a $14 item, carried it openly, and left the store. She was called back and offered to pay. She was sent on her way, but the police were called. She was walking home - about 2 blocks away at the time - when the police arrived. One of the officers was very cheerful about laughing at her, knocking her to the ground, slamming her onto the trunk and cuffing her. He proudly showed the recording to others who laughed along with him.

When the woman was jailed, the officers did not report that she had injuries. She was in a cell, still cuffed behind her back, for 4 hours before she was taken to the hospital.

Here's some follow up:
Colorado city agrees to $3 million settlement over violent arrest of woman with dementia
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... n-n1278774
Two former police officers involved in the arrest, Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali, were criminally charged in May.

Hopp was charged with assault causing serious bodily injury, official misconduct and attempting to influence a public servant.

Jalali was charged with failure to report use of force, failure to intervene and official misconduct. Jalali has not commented publicly.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:08 pm 9 bullets into a wheelchair-bound 61 year old. Sounds reasonable. :roll:

I thought I saw a relatively long pause before shot 9 but I didn't believe my eyes. I honestly thought I wasn't seeing that correctly.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:50 am "I didn't have a choice." -I anticipate the accused officer to say this, just likeTravis McMichael. The mindset that the gun solves problems is bewildering to me.
How about maybe disabling the fucking mobility scooter for a start?

Haven't you got a set of road spikes in your trunk for shutting down high speed chases?

Ya gotta shoot something? Shoot the fucking tires you dimwit.

This wasn't a freeway chase at 90 miles per hour for crying out loud! You have MANY choices.

:brickwallsmall: :mad:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Most mobility scooters/chairs go about 4 miles an hour on a level path. Not hard to keep up! The tires aren't air filled, but probably not hard to damage anyway. The easiest way to stop it is to grab the cables that connect the battery to the device, or just pull out the battery which is under the back of the seat. Most are just stuck on with velcro. Grab it, yank, and the cables pop off.

For that matter, you can just turn it off and pull out the key....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

LM K wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:31 pm

I thought I saw a relatively long pause before shot 9 but I didn't believe my eyes. I honestly thought I wasn't seeing that correctly.
He had to make sure the guy was dead.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Tarpman Finicum was handcuffed on the ground.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:05 am Tarpman Finicum was handcuffed on the ground.
From what I understand that is standard procedure of US law enforcement, it formally makes the subject being arrested even under shot-first-ask-questions-later-or never-again protocol.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:03 am
Suranis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:05 am Tarpman Finicum was handcuffed on the ground.
From what I understand that is standard procedure of US law enforcement, it formally makes the subject being arrested even under shot-first-ask-questions-later-or never-again protocol.
Ya, that's my understanding too. I was just giving another example of the protocol and why we should not view that part as suspicious.
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Yes we too still have problems with some of our police...

2 from today...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-03/ ... /100659222

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-03/ ... /100669234
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We do a lot of shit wrong down here, but I was sort of proud of our guys today.

Our dept currently has 285 sworn officers. We should have 400.

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/12/02/video-p ... ith-rifle/
Dave from down under

They did well to avoid anyone getting harmed..

And being so understaffed makes it more dangerous for everyone.

(and guns... )

On the security fencing of the house... my wife and I were looking to buy in an area.. as soon as we saw fencing like that we turned around and bought elsewhere...
Same when the real estate agent we were with, locked his car after we got out to view another house.. he hadn't done that at the prior 4 houses and we looked at each other, looked at his car and asked to be shown the next property on the list..
Dave from down under

By the by.. what was being shouted?
It might be my hearing - but I couldn't understand what he was shouting or what the woman was saying.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:41 pm By the by.. what was being shouted?
It might be my hearing - but I couldn't understand what he was shouting or what the woman was saying.
No idea what he's saying, but she's calling his name. "Marquavis" and "Quay", and every apartment complex that has a pool has to have security fencing of some sort for liability, and they can charge more for limited access so they fence the whole complex and not just the pool area. We broke our all-time high of homicides yesterday and still have a month to go before the end of the year.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

The attorney for the Tucson Police Officer’s Association said Wednesday that an officer, who police say shot and killed a man in a wheelchair who had shoplifted from a Tucson Walmart, didn’t have another option.
:snippity:

Video doesn’t show the full incident

Attorney Mike Storie said the video from the incident released by Tucson Police Department doesn’t show the full story of what happened Monday evening.

Then release Remington's body cam footage.

Tucson police said Remington was off-duty working security at a Walmart
in Tucson Monday evening.

In the video released by Tucson police, Remington is seen walking alongside Richards, who police said was in a motorized wheelchair, as he was rolling through the parking lot.

“He’s trying to talk this guy down and deescalate, that’s exactly what he’s trying to do,” Storie said.

Storie said during the entirety of the interaction leading up to the final incident, Remington was working to deescalate the situation.

“The officer at no time knows, ‘Is it going to end that minute? Is the guy just going to say I’m done? Is he going to go to his car? Is the guy going to go home?’ No he doesn’t know,” Storie said.

It's ok to kill an alleged suspect for things they might do?

Remington is heard on the video released by Tucson police telling Richards not to go into the store.

Storie said the concern became about the Lowe’s employee standing inside the garden center.

“By that time, tasing was not an option,” Storie said.

The video shows the opposite. There was no risk to the Lowe's employee had the taser been deployed. She left the area as soon as she realized what was happening. But firing gunshots is dangerous to others in the area.

In a short press conference Tuesday, where Chief Chris Mangus did not take any questions, Mangus was critical of Remington’s actions.

“His use of deadly force in this incident is a clear violation of department policy and directly contradicts multiple aspects of our use of force training,” Mangus said.

“I disagree,” Storie said when 12 News asked about Mangus’ characterization.

Storie recognized that Remington’s actions, specifically the number of times he shot Richards and his demeanor afterward may be "offensive" to some.

“Police business is messy at times,”
Storie said.

Remington’s background
Tucson police said Remington has been with the department for four years, and did go through their academy where he would have received a psych evaluation.

Storie said Remington had been working the security detail assignment with Walmart while off duty for years.

When he was on duty, Tucson police told 12 News Remington was assigned to their Operations Division South.

While the department moved to fire Remington, Storie said if Remington’s termination does go through they’ll appeal it.
Still no mention of physical risk to self or others.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Dave from down under

www.opengov.nsw.gov.au/download/16661

This is interesting (to me at least) from the NSW Police Integrity Commission Feb 2014

Misconduct risks associated with authorised secondary
employment:
A Review of Compliance with NSW Police
Force Policies and Guidelines
Nadja Kirsch

1. INTRODUCTION
The NSW Police Force Secondary Employment Policy & Procedures (‘the policy’)
defines secondary employment as ‘any paid work performed other than for the NSW
Police Force’ and requires that all employees seek approval prior to engaging in
secondary employment.1 As of March 2012 almost 10 per cent of NSW Police Force
officers had authorisation to engage in secondary employment.2
The purpose of this project, codenamed Project Santuri, was to examine the extent
to which officers of the NSW Police Force are complying with those aspects of the
policy that are intended to manage conflicts of interest and misconduct risks
associated with authorised secondary employment.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

two sides of an incident
71-Year-Old Arrested Near Kasilof For 4th Degree Assault On A Police Officer

Author: Anthony Moore | January 21, 2021

71-year-old Robert Bodell was arrested near Kasilof Friday January 8, 2021 around 12:30 a.m.

Alaska State Troopers responded to a residence at 53605 Sterling Highway for a report of a suspicious individual shining lights at the end of their driveway. Troopers, upon their arrival, found a single occupant in the passenger seat who appeared intoxicated. He reportedly refused to identify himself and yelled obscenities.

An initial investigation determined that the vehicle occupant was not the driver. As a result of his continued yelling, Bodell, who was later identified by troopers, was given a disorderly conduct warning. When he was given a warning, he got out of his vehicle and charged toward the trooper who deployed a taser to no effect. He turned around, but refused commands to submit to arrest. Troopers report that he turned and advanced again, at which time he was taken to the ground and handcuffed.

The Kasilof resident was arrested and remanded to Wildwood Pretrial on disorderly conduct charges and 4th degree assault on a police officer.

https://radiokenai.com/71-year-old-arre ... e-officer/
versus
youtube poster wrote:Robert Bodell talks about how Alaska State Troopers beat him during a stop-then erased dashcam footage to cover up their misdeeds.
Robert Bodell has cancer and was further mistreated while in jail waiting to see the Judge.
Cops are sadistic psychopaths-they make a living by destroying lives.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:cantlook: :brickwallsmall:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:51 am :cantlook: :brickwallsmall:

This happened right around the corner from where I live. Ask me if I'm surprised. :nope:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RVInit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:12 am

This happened right around the corner from where I live. Ask me if I'm surprised. :nope:
How did I not realize you lived in AK? Maybe my chemo brain is worse than I thought.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:01 am
RVInit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:12 am

How did I not realize you lived in AK? Maybe my chemo brain is worse than I thought.
I used to live in AK during my former career. But I live in FL now. In DeLand. There are services for homeless near the downtown area in FL and the police department is also right around the corner from where I live
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

What do you think the cops did wrong?

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”