Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Birding

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-food-aoe
Several years ago, I counted more than 300 cranes in the wetlands near my rice field,” says farmer Khean Khoay, as he reminisces about the regal-looking eastern sarus crane. Khoay’s village, Koh Chamkar in Kampot province, lies on the outskirts of the Anlung Pring protected landscape in south-west Cambodia, in the fertile and biodiverse Mekong delta.

The region has been enriched by centuries of silt deposited by the Mekong, the longest river in south-east Asia and a lifeline for millions who depend on its resources. But as more and more land is converted for agriculture and aquaculture, and the impacts of the climate crisis, such as erosion and saltwater intrusion, are felt, the area’s wildlife has become increasingly threatened.

Among the birds affected are the cranes that once visited the land near Khoay’s rice field in large numbers. NatureLife Cambodia, BirdLife International’s partner in the country, says only 91 eastern sarus cranes visited Anlung Pring this year. The future of these birds may lie in the hands of 16 farmers from Koh Chamkar village, including Khoay, who lease their land to NatureLife.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Next, he will have a hoard of chipmunks and squirrels attacking his face.

ETA: With the leaves down, I can see the woodpeckers and nuthatches easier among the trees. With no feeder, there were less birds to watch, though I could hear them.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:homophone:

hoard horde :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:04 pm :homophone:

How many boards would Mongols hoard if Mongol hordes got bored?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lots more here...

https://video.devamiburda.com/20-best-w ... s-ever_775

but the one above is my favorite.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

A College of Cardinals. :thumbsup:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:04 pm :homophone:

What, we only allow heterophones here?

Actually, it was just a misprint. I meant MY hoard of chipmunks and squirrels. Yeah, that's it.
Maybenaut wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:57 pm A College of Cardinals. :thumbsup:
Is the black-eyed Junko waiting for the white smoke?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

My grandgurlzz enjoyed Bird TV at Hubby's mother's home last week in south Arkansas. There are bird feeders to see at every window in the family areas. They learned that boy cardinals are red. Exciting information. When the birds would appear, the youngest would come running to tell the adults.

When I was about 9 and starting to realize there were mysteries about boys and girls, my grandfather and I were looking out a window in his home when I saw a "red bird". Grandpa told me it was a boy cardinal. " How do you know it's a boy?" I asked squinting my eyes to see what he saw. "I have good eyes", he replied. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:lol:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

The telephone pole outside my window (well, until I end up back in the office in late January) has been host to various regular birds around here from crows, robins, cowbirds, starlings, and the occasional red-tailed hawk (and sometimes a squirrel). Today I saw a new visitor show up to take in the sights from the pole.

Cooper's Hawk.

I have not seen one of them around here. I wondered at first what it was since it was too large to be a robin but too small to be a hawk, though it looked like a hawk's build (the pole is around 88-90 feet away and it was getting darker out) I could not tell until I grabbed my binoculars.

Sorry, no photo. I did not have my good camera ready with a charged battery and my phone would never have been able to deal with the distance and limited light.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My Cooper’s hawk story:
Back before the bobcats ate my flock, they were free range in the yard. I loved it when they’d get back behind the cactus and hang out and murmur all day. One day while walking down the hall toward the cactus I saw something swoop out of the corner of my eye. I backed up and looked out the window to see a puzzled and frustrated Cooper’s hawk sitting in the back of the wooden bench, eyeing the cactus.

They need height and speed to get their meal. The chickens were like 5 feet away from him and he could do NOTHING ABOUT IT. He sat there for 30 minutes, watching while they forayed into the bushes right in front of him with insouciance. Finally, with a harrumph and a shake of the tail, he turned his back on them for 10 minutes then flew off.

Did I ever tell youse guys about the enormous, headless red tailed hawk we found on the compost pile one day?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Do tell!

My experience with a Coopers hawk is a little different. We heard a loud thump on the kitchen sliding door to the deck. We went looking to see what it was, and there was a small hawk-like bird on the deck. We called around and finally were told to call the Pittsburgh Carnegie Museum. They suggested we wrap it and put it into the freezer until we could get it to them. We dropped it off about a week later. We got a letter from them a few weeks later, saying that it was a juvenile Coopers hawk. They were adding it to their collection.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-in-world
Birdwatchers around the world are being called on to turn detective and help in a search for some of the rarest birds on Earth.

The global Search for Lost Birds, launched today, presents researchers, conservationists and the global birdwatching community with a Top 10 Most Wanted list of birds that have been lost to science, including the Siau scops owl, which was last seen in 1866.

:snippity:

The Most Wanted list, a joint effort between Re:wild, American Bird Conservancy and BirdLife International, also includes the South Island kōkako in New Zealand, Peru’s Vilcabamba brush-finch and the Himalayan quail in northern India. The 10 birds are an extension of Re:wild’s Search for Lost Species programme, which was launched in 2017.

There has not been a documented sighting of any of the 10 birds in the wild for at least a decade. Reasons for their disappearance include climate change, habitat loss and logging, mining, hunting and invasive species. But none are classified as extinct on the IUCN red list of threatened species.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

There was a series of images posted on a birder group on Facebook the other day of a cooper's hawk swimming.

He had caught a Bonaparte gull and was holding it under water untill it drowned.

😳
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:47 am There was a series of images posted on a birder group on Facebook the other day of a cooper's hawk swimming.

He had caught a Bonaparte gull and was holding it under water untill it drowned.

😳
That’s smart.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Green Herons routinely do that to frogs.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

If'n I tried that Karen would have to get the manager. :blackeye:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:08 pm Green Herons routinely do that to frogs.
Bald Eagles do that to ducks.
Tiredretiredlawyer

We watched two bald eagles isolate a coot from a flock of other water birds on a lake, then one of eagles swam in the shallow water to a sand bar keeping the coot underwater the whole time.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

The woodpeckers I normally see around my place are Red-bellied woodpeckers and the lady below, a downy woodpecker.
Downy wp.jpg
Downy wp.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Today, I was walking a few blocks away and heard a call I was not sure of. Merlin said it was a hairy woodpecker. Once I found it and watched, she turned enough for me to notice the longer beak. When I compared the sounds myself, I agreed it was a Hairy and not a downy woodpecker (the call is slightly different). I have not seen a hairy woodpecker around here. Sadly, she (as best as I could tell from the distance) was too far away to get a usable photo on my phone.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

northland10 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:15 pm Today, I was walking a few blocks away and heard a call I was not sure of. Merlin said it was a hairy woodpecker. Once I found it and watched, she turned enough for me to notice the longer beak. When I compared the sounds myself, I agreed it was a Hairy and not a downy woodpecker (the call is slightly different). I have not seen a hairy woodpecker around here. Sadly, she (as best as I could tell from the distance) was too far away to get a usable photo on my phone.
I saw a Hairy woodpecker on the feeder the other day, it was the first one I've seen around here in a really long time. I also saw two Northern Flickers drinking from bird bath the other day, I haven't seen any of them around here for a while either.
Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker.png
Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker.png (333.86 KiB) Viewed 875 times
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I'm still hoping a flicker shows up around here at some point. I have not seen one in a long while.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Seen here, but mostly not recently: downy, hairy, red-headed, northern flicker, and pileated. You really know when the pileated is around. No need to see her.

Return to “General Stuff”